General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did some of you even buy a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
That would be great, but I don't actually ride my motorcycle. I just like to take pictures of it and post them on the web, so I can act like a biker. You could come over and look at my bike, though. I'll even let you take a picture standing next to it, but you have to promise to post it online, so I can see all the comments.
OH Boy! I can't wait. Do you think maybe I could touch it (just a little bit)?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wonder the same thing myself....IronAss, you ROCK

Originally Posted by IronAss
I am fairly new to this forum (but not to Motorcycles or H-D's) and after reading many of the post's here I am just wondering why many of you even bought a scooter in the first place. I think maybe I know why you bought them I guess I'm wondering why you keep them. I'm thinking many don't which explains all the low mile used ones for sale.

I see over and over people here bitching about Vibration, Wind, Heat, Rain, Cold, bugs, The price of gas, Flying Fish...you name it. If they're not Whining about something they are stressing about what they can put on their bikes to make them "Look Cool" and impress the neighbors when they are washing them in their driveway, or the other posers at "Bike Nite" down at the local Dairy Queen.

Might I suggest you sell your Scooter to someone that will actually enjoy it put the $$$ you get towards a convertible cage. You can still wear all the "cool" clothes (jacket, chaps and such) and have a chain wallet to make the other citizens scarred. but won't suffer the inconvenience of having to actually ride a big noisy messy motorcycle.

Just wondering.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not worried about them. I just get tired of having to pay more to enjoy my scooter. I don't go to rally's anymore because they have all turned into big money making fiasco's unlike in the past when it was just a bunch of people getting together to enjoy bikes and music and have a little party and go riding. Now they are like big swap meets. The last time I was at Sturgis (87) I just showed up and got a campsite and had a great time. Now you have to reserve a site months in advance and then the campgrounds are full of Motor homes and trailers leaving less room for the guys that actually ride there. The price of parts, bikes, whatever has gone thru the roof because of these weekend bar hoping riders. It's getting harder to ride in populated areas because they can't seem to control their need to make noise and **** off the people around them.
I could go on but I think I made my point.
I DON'T GIVE A RATS *** ABOUT THEM BUT THEY ARE MAKING MY LIFE LESS ENJOYABLE. So I guess I am worried about myslef. And you can Kiss My ****ing ***!
I`m with ya on that one 'IronAss'....

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just wondering why many of you even bought a scooter in the first place.
I was wondering why some bikers dads didn't pull out earlier either!!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

OH Boy! I can't wait. Do you think maybe I could touch it (just a little bit)?
My bike is in the HD "bubble." The air inside the bubble has been sterilized and nobody is allowed inside. You can look at it, but touching isn't allowed.

My bike only comes out of the bubble to have new accessories added, fluid changes every 3 months, or to install a new map to my PCIII.

Last edited by SgtThump; 09-15-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Sounds pretty much like middle of the road mass confusion, to me.
I am with you Gump!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorTom
What bike?? I only nave this picture of one for my signature..
I'm really a 5ft2 , 350lb , bald , Part time security Guard at Toys R Us...
Can't fool me PT been on your website!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine cuz it was a 100 yr aniversary and I figured it would be a good investment and be worth more than what I paid for it in a few yrs! It was 3 yrs old and had 2,500 miles on it.
Seriously I think lotsa folks in my age group (late 40's) have wanted one for years and now have the financial ability to get one. And how many more "good years" do we have left? 10-15 maybe 20 if you are very lucky, before you are too old to ride.
I have put over 20k miles on mine in 2 yrs, own no Harley clothes (other than a couple tee's). Its good that there are so many folks that buy em and don't ride em. Good cuz guys like me will always be able to find great deals!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Guitarman52
Intermediate

Ok lets see. I bought mine because... uh, mmmmmm, well because uh, man ! I hate these hard questions!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hidalgo
Why did I buy a bike? Well, let's see.....

I like to take the wife for a ride and feel her breasts pushing into my back. She kinda likes it too....always makes for a fun night afterwards. Especially if she's naked underneath her leather jacket with the PROPERTY patch on it. You know: Gets us in the "mood".

I like to go out in the garage and look at it. It looks real neat just sitting there in my spotless garage with the black & white checkerboard tile floor that I paid megabucks for just so I would have a place to sit and stare at the bike.

I needed an outlet for all of the extra money that we have. We make TONS of money and needed a place to waste it.

My neighbors think I'm cool, because elderly men my age usually don't ride Harleys and surely wouldn't waste their retirement funds on such a frivolous thing.

We can go to bike rallys and act like fools, getting semi-naked and spending our children's college funds in the process. You can still do those things without a bike of course, but you always have a bigger crowd acting like fools along with you at a rally.

I can come on a board like this one and act like a biker, ask silly questions, and bitch and squawk about my ignorance for even purchasing such an evil and expensive contraption like my bike, and not have someone ask me WHY I did it. At least....up until this thread came along.

You just ruined all my fun Dude!
Holy cow, we have so much in common.....

Quick Reply: Why did some of you even buy a bike?