General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't h-d "counter-balance" all bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM
walkamile
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dyna vibrates quite nicely, I would be quite pissed off if they did anything to change that!
+1

Why get a harley in the first place... I mean they shake, they are loud, they smell like burning oil when they are new, they smell like burning oil when they get old.... the list goes on. Its the fact that they do all of those things that gives them character and makes them legendary.

I've heard honda is looking at making goldwings that come with a bolt on cage option next year, for when 2 wheels is just too much hassle and you don't want to feel like the 30k you spent on it was wasted.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been curious about why the MoCo doesn't make a counterbalanced tourer. I'm sure they must have a good reason.

I took an 09 superglide for a test run last month and didn't care for the vibration either. Some like it, some don't.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Surprised nobody pointed out the obvious: The counterbalanced engine is in the engine-to-frame solid mount bike, while the non-cb engine is in the rubber mount. Rubber mount vibrates at idle, then smooths out at speed.

Personally, I don't like either of 'em. Never had a bike that vibrated so badly I couldn't ride it all day, just had some that vibrated more than others.

Can't wait 'til next year when all the Honda bike plants are consolidated in Japan.

Last edited by pococj; 09-14-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: 'Cause I wanted to.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking It's like Nascar & Formula I

I'm a Nascar, naturally aspirated engine, deep throaty sounding fan. The formula I cars are superbly tuned, sewing machine sounding pieces of equipment. Two entirely different, yet superb venues.

The Ultra Glide I ride is, to me, like a vintage Nascar car or like the 1969-1971 muscle cars i had as a kid. The ride, the feel, the look, the people, its all a visceral, (gutty) type of commitment.

My adult kids ride Hondas and Kawasaki's primarily due to cost....all are Harley look alikes with pipes to match. They want to join the family, but cannot afford it yet.

The above is why comparing the metrics to Harleys is not comparing apples to apples. If you do not want the nostolgic "original", gutty bike experience running with a fantastic, tight nit group of men and women, then you go for the metrics....and peace to you.

We'll still see and welcome you at all the Charity rides and ralleys that aren't H.O.G. closed functions. And every time you see us all, you'll learn a bit more that the total HD experience just begins with the bike you buy...its what you do with it to make it your own and how you share with others that counts

Just my windy opinion...but there it is

BJ

Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hidalgo
My wife will shoot me if she sees this, but.......

The last time we were on the highway riding, she was in the front on her Sporty and kept varying speeds for a few miles, then settled down at a constant 57-58mph. When we stopped for fuel, I asked her why she was speeding up and slowing down, and then settled on a upper-50s speed?

She said: "I was trying to find a speed where the vibration felt 'just right', and I finally found it!"

LMAO You gotta get a custom license plate that says "5758" or VIB 57

Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM
sddyna
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
My Dyna vibrates quite nicely, I would be quite pissed off if they did anything to change that!
+1 That is part of having a Harley, if my a$$ isn;t numb after a day of riding, well it just wouldn't seem right!!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Forcing buyers to buy metrics." Bwahahahaha!

A water cooled non vibrating Harley touring bike? It'll be called the PussGlide.

---------------------------------------------

I truly believe that issue is forcing some buyers to the metrics..........
I guess I'll just keep my DELUXE for now.............

Oh, and the ONLY reason I even brought this up is because one of my friends bought a 2009 HONDA VTX1800 and I rode it.......

HATE to say it on this forum, but it rode, shifted, performed and "sat" better than than any HARLEY I've ridden....... just my feeble opinion, of course!

I'd really like to see Harley go with "liquid" cooling and more "counter-balancing"!

H-D, ARE YOU LISTENING ??? ANYBODY THERE ?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Miami Cruzer
Tourer

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Hmmm, I was born at night, but not last night.

Fairly new member, gets a few posts then starts bashing Harley and praising Honda.

Where have I heard all of this before?

Just buy the Honda, join a Honda forum and have a great time.
No, I'm not bashing H-D and hope nobody misconstrues that......
I'm just a little puzzled as to why they make 21st century bikes that vibrate profusely......
now if that's what you guys prefer, that's fine, I'll keep quiet, but personally, I'd prefer a little less vibration........

I'm just stating a preference and obviously nobody is complaining about it, so I'll just go away, now..........

I still like my DELUXE and I think it's the best-looking bike on the road!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
intempestivus
Cruiser

The vibration actually allows you to feel how it is running. When I'm riding without the wind-screen at speed I can't really hear it (earplugs & wind noise) but I can still feel it. The idea of a quiet, smooth ride doesn't appeal to me. To each his own I guess.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Miami Cruzer
Tourer

OK, ya'll have given me some good reasons why Harleys ARE Harleys and I appreciate that......
I do like my DELUXE and to prove it I've spent an additional $6,000.00 at the dealer....
I do like my DELUXE! and I appreciate the input, and I'm NOT gonna run out and by a metric, end-of-story! THX!

Quick Reply: Why doesn't h-d "counter-balance" all bikes?