General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire pressure monitor - anybody use one

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No...no no no no no no no no no no no...no......no.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Oma
Hubby says "yes, we are tubeless" His new motto is "go tubeless or go home", we never hope to wrestle that bear again. He tells me the unit he bought (ordered on line, installed by dealer) WILL work on tube tires, but it is then done as an exterior and therefore visible mount.

By the way, our '09 is Black Pearl too, such a pretty colour! When I came to in the hosp, I said " Well, we are never doing Blue again, next bike will be Black. We NEVER had any problems with them!!!" I had a concussion, and I'm over 55, so felt no need to justify my logic! He had no intention of getting back on a bike. The combination of me shopping for a dog and him seeing the Black Pearl made him rethink his options. Dog: no. Harley: yes.
Black Pearl is the fastest and safest color Harley makes

We made our decision on Black Pearl after seeing it out in the sunlight with the green metal flake comes out. I hope you all are enjoying the new ride, good choice on picking out your pet.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

my 01 corvette has the onboard system for tire pressure monitoring. a small sensor which is on the inside of the tire attatched to the valve stem is what reads the pressure, then the sensor which is also a small radio transmitter sends the information to the computer in the dash for display. it's for use in run flat tires. wouldn't even think about it for my harley though. can't believe anyone could be too lazy to check their tire pressure in the first place. while i'm cleaning either the harley or corvette or are going out for a long ride, i always check whatever vehicle i'm gonna be using.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
my 01 corvette has the onboard system for tire pressure monitoring. a small sensor which is on the inside of the tire attatched to the valve stem is what reads the pressure, then the sensor which is also a small radio transmitter sends the information to the computer in the dash for display. it's for use in run flat tires. wouldn't even think about it for my harley though. can't believe anyone could be too lazy to check their tire pressure in the first place. while i'm cleaning either the harley or corvette or are going out for a long ride, i always check whatever vehicle i'm gonna be using.
And on the corvette do you check with the sensors or with a manual gauge?
Long distance checking sure, I would hope we all do it. But every time you get on that bike, even just riding down to the corner store and back, do you check?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Think ill just bend down and check my tires the OLD FASHION WAY, WITH A SIMPLE TIRE PRESSURE GAUGE!!! Once a week, make sure there 36 lbs. I can find a lot BETTER WAYS TO SPEND $150.00

Last edited by hpfatboy; 06-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brand name he got is a DORAN 360M, a full-time direct tire pressure monitoring system, which includes one monitor and two sensors. The sensors transmit the pressure data for each tire to the monitor through Radio Frequency to be displayed on the screen. The current price is $225.

And he has an electronic dip stick and temperature gage. That one is from HD, and costs too much!! But he is happy to have it. He checks everything religiously.

HPFATBOY, he also carries and uses his manual tire gage. The electronic one is for monitoring while riding, we never want to do another 'blow out' crash again.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Oma
The brand name he got is a DORAN 360M, a full-time direct tire pressure monitoring system, which includes one monitor and two sensors. The sensors transmit the pressure data for each tire to the monitor through Radio Frequency to be displayed on the screen. The current price is $225.

And he has an electronic dip stick and temperature gage. That one is from HD, and costs too much!! But he is happy to have it. He checks everything religiously.

HPFATBOY, he also carries and uses his manual tire gage. The electronic one is for monitoring while riding, we never want to do another 'blow out' crash again.
Thanks for the info. didnt realize that!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
bookworm
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Okay, at the risk of getting flamed I am going to wade into this discussion. I think that those of you that say "I'll just spend $10 on a tire guage..." are missing the real point of having a tire pressure monitoring system and that is to have information about tire pressure DURING your ride and not just at the beginning of it. Of course, it is important to check your tire pressure before you ride. But, once you leave the garage or parking lot and head out onto the highway with all the cages and 18 wheelers, it is pretty hard to tell if you just picked up a nail or other nasty fragment and are losing pressure until the bike starts to handle like it was on ice. Once that happens it is really too late and let's just hope you have the room and time to get to a safe stop.

Since we ride two up most of the time, I check my tires every time we stop for any length of time. With only two tires and a loaded weight that exceeds a 1000 pounds I won't take any chances.

After doing a bit of research and debating this topic in my own head for a while, I just ordered the Doran 360M. I got if for $219 and free shipping from wingstuff.com (in case anyone is interested). It seems like the best alternative for my laced wheels and is a reasonably simple installation.

just my .02 worth.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
dracos
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks ago, I was heading back to Ohio coming back from Tennessee on an '09 Ultra that I have had for 1 month. We were running up the interstate going around 75 mph, the bike started to wiggle a little bit, at first I thought the it was the wind off of the two semi's that I had on each side of me, and then it got worse. I started slowing down and trying to work my way over to the side of the road, I wish that I had had a little warning on the tire pressure before I had to work my way through the traffic with a complete flat. With the old lady on the back and loaded down with all out gear, it made for a very nerve racking minute of two.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
ozrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked into the hard-crome 13-315 TPMS, but was told you have to have "metal" valve stems, which of course my '09 Ultra Classic does not have & dealearship said most likely is not available. Like the idea of an external application when battery replacement would make an internal not-practical. HOG member in our group had a rear tire go flat & got down to 15MPH but still layed it down. Alarm @ 75% of pre-set would be nice.

Quick Reply: tire pressure monitor - anybody use one