General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire pressure monitor - anybody use one

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy of mine put a similar device on his valve stems. He had to remove the tires and have them rebalanced. Something to think about in the total cost.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, we have a tire pressure system installed on our '09 Ultra. Hubby has a red light on his handle bars, it lights up if the pressure drops, he also has pressure read outs for each tire, which he checks before and mid ride. He is heavy into tire monitoring, we totaled our '08 last Oct when the rear tube tire picked up a screw and blew at highway speed. Eight months later we are getting over the physical damage, but mentally its left us with a few issues.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Oma
Yes, we have a tire pressure system installed on our '09 Ultra. Hubby has a red light on his handle bars, it lights up if the pressure drops, he also has pressure read outs for each tire, which he checks before and mid ride. He is heavy into tire monitoring, we totaled our '08 last Oct when the rear tube tire picked up a screw and blew at highway speed. Eight months later we are getting over the physical damage, but mentally its left us with a few issues.
Sorry to hear you all went down, but at least you are back up and riding again.
Did you go to tubeless tires and rims on your 09? I haven't found a monitoring system for tube tires, monitoring systems from what I found, are internal to the rim. When running laced rims a blow out is always a possibility, I'm not sure a monitoring system would help with that. That's way a lot of guys run cast rims and tubeless tires.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bksmoky
A buddy of mine put a similar device on his valve stems. He had to remove the tires and have them rebalanced. Something to think about in the total cost.
Not sure if this is the same produce, but an email back from technical assistance for the Accu-Pressure Standard Safety Caps states that balancing is not needed. I think I will order some and see how they work, for $8 plus shipping, I think it's worth a try.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master

Hubby says "yes, we are tubeless" His new motto is "go tubeless or go home", we never hope to wrestle that bear again. He tells me the unit he bought (ordered on line, installed by dealer) WILL work on tube tires, but it is then done as an exterior and therefore visible mount.

By the way, our '09 is Black Pearl too, such a pretty colour! When I came to in the hosp, I said " Well, we are never doing Blue again, next bike will be Black. We NEVER had any problems with them!!!" I had a concussion, and I'm over 55, so felt no need to justify my logic! He had no intention of getting back on a bike. The combination of me shopping for a dog and him seeing the Black Pearl made him rethink his options. Dog: no. Harley: yes.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs down

If they put them on bikes, I hope they don't use any engineering from GM. I run a shop that maintains a fleet of over 300 vehicles. We have 29 of the 2008 Impalas and the TPM system on them sucks. I have had numerous conversations with my dealer trying to get them to turn this F&*(^%g system off. Case in point, yesterday had an '08 Impala come in with the light on again. Dumbchit system said the LR tire was low. Checked all 4 tires and found the RF was 20 psi low and had a nail in it! The other three were set exactly where they should be. Including the LR which the system said was low. And before you try to suggest that the system was not reset at the last tire roation, it was. If you don't the damn light won't go out at all. So we reset it each and everytime the tires get rotated. I for one have absolutely ZERO faith in this system. No matter who makes it. Just my 2 cents. And thanks for letting me vent!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

$150.00????? where I'm from that's 70 beers with enough left over to buy a decent gauge.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
If they put them on bikes, I hope they don't use any engineering from GM. I run a shop that maintains a fleet of over 300 vehicles. We have 29 of the 2008 Impalas and the TPM system on them sucks. I have had numerous conversations with my dealer trying to get them to turn this F&*(^%g system off. Case in point, yesterday had an '08 Impala come in with the light on again. Dumbchit system said the LR tire was low. Checked all 4 tires and found the RF was 20 psi low and had a nail in it! The other three were set exactly where they should be. Including the LR which the system said was low. And before you try to suggest that the system was not reset at the last tire roation, it was. If you don't the damn light won't go out at all. So we reset it each and everytime the tires get rotated. I for one have absolutely ZERO faith in this system. No matter who makes it. Just my 2 cents. And thanks for letting me vent!

Zero faith???? It worked, did it not? The customer had a flat/low tire, so they brought it in...system didn't know which one. This is better still than being left on the side of the road.

I have 5 GM vehicles with TPM and they have worked flawlessly. Granted they have only worked a few times but they have warned us.

I just asked two of my employees about their trucks (GM) and one said he has had only 1 low tire and was warned. The other has not had a flat, yet. We'll have to see what we can do about that...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

" so they brought it in.... system didn't know which one."

That brings back a funny story. The 'check tire' light came on our Jetta on a road trip. We kept checking our car at each pit stop, but finally assumed the system was broken. Took it to the dealer: turned out the never used spare tire in the trunk was low!!

For clarification, tomorrow I shall ask Hubby what brand he bought.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a decent priced monitor would be a great addition to my 09 Ultra. I had a slow leak in my rear tire for 2 months. Added 20 lbs every week. Finally took it to HD and they replaced under the warranty. Never left the dealer with a bill for 0 before. Love warranties.
I would buy a system if it were priced right. 09 Ultras are a bitch to get a guage on.

Quick Reply: tire pressure monitor - anybody use one