Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I Know Everything

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I Know Everything

In the short time I've been a member of this forum, I've learned an infinite number of invaluable pieces of knowledge. I'm sure if I did a search, I'd see that this subject has been discussed a thousand times..... but fu*k that noise.

First, I was able breathe a sigh of relief to learn that the model bike I bought was my own choice to make all along. Was worried I messed that one up.

It was a surprise to learn that the dealer charges parts and labor, but if I do it myself, it's only parts and special tools.

It's a little scary because I haven't done it yet, But I now know that I WILL drop my bike, probably by forgetting to put the kickstand down (who knows, I AM getting older).

Evidently it doesn't matter if your bike is clean or dirty. You're greatly respected on this forum either way. I did learn that ANYTHING will clean whitewalls just fine.

As far as floorboard scraping.... the more you scrape, the better (according to the majority). If you don't like scraping (and this was an eye opener), slow down or take them off. Hmmmmm

One of the most helpful jewels here was, when to shift. I was pretty sure I was really screwing this one up. Turns out I was good. Sigh of relief.

On the subject of mods, I read at least 50 times that you do not need to alter your ECM for slip-on's only. Wait until you do the air upgrade. Then, don't do the HD re-map, but go spend that money on an electronic gizmo, of which there are many types and everybody swears by theirs.

Oh, and then there is the subject of pipes. I guess mine will do just fine. Mine are louder, deeper, throatier, more Harley sounding than any of the ones I could actually hear in the 150 threads I tried to listen to.

I was totally confused on what the saddlebags were for. I was using them to haul my raked leaves from the yard to the trash barrel. Now I know I should only use them on the bike and put whatever I think I will need in them. And it's ok to have stuff I won't need (if there's room of course).

And don't forget to put that spare jiffy stand spring in your saddlebag (ya just never know).

The biggest revelations had to do with "cages" on the roads and hazards created by road construction. Now I know that "cages" can't see me and if I tangle with one, it's gonna hurt. Also, if I am going fast at night in unfamiliar territory, road conditions could vary.

I won't even get into everything I learned (there is not enough space here) about being a real biker, tattoos or all the fashion no-nos.

I still have one question though. Does Harley have any models with front wheel drive. I would do a search, but fu*k that noise!

Anyone else been helped as much as I have?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM
shooter537
Cruiser

You forgot to mention that you now know where to put your gas cap when you gas up! Or maybe even where not to put it.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL and just think the best is yet to come..again and again and again. Glad that everyone was helpful in your quest for knowledge.

Now, do you really have crawdads in AZ...ya' know we eat dem thangs down here...

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
tdogg
Cruiser

That was some funny chit to read!!!! The jiffy stand spring could come in handy..I'm just sayin'....

2008 SG
etc.etc.etc.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
dhoward
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny post.
And true. Experts abound on the internets.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Now, do you really have crawdads in AZ...ya' know we eat dem thangs down here...
Yeah, we got 'em. But their frozen, come from Louisiana and we eat 'em too!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,220 Likes on 4,275 Posts

You are just about there Crawdad. In another while you will have attained the wisdom of Methuselah and peeps will come to you for advice and buy you beers.

However, a few things you have missed:
1. Cat urine is best for cleaning white-walls. My cat Romey does the job without me having to even touch them.
2. Yes, floorboards should be sharpened to a fine edge by scrapping. Then you can open MRE's with them more easily.
3. Even just a Stage I install is like freeing your scoot of that damn factory-installed potato in the muffler and will make that puppy come alive.
4. You never stop learning... when I went to get my spare jiffy stand spring I found out they are backordered because of 300thousand orders for them that just rolled in because of one lousy post on HDF about that!

Cheers and enjoy the knowledge!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You forgot to mention that assless chaps are gay, or not, depending on who you listen too, and whether or not you wear fingerless gloves with them!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
You forgot to mention that assless chaps are gay, or not, depending on who you listen too, and whether or not you wear fingerless gloves with them!
I think that falls under fashion no-no's which he did mention. LMAO!!! Great post.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Sled
You never stop learning... when I went to get my spare jiffy stand spring I found out they are backordered because of 300 thousand orders for them that just rolled in because of one lousy post on HDF about that!

Cheers and enjoy the knowledge!

That's some funny chit!

Quick Reply: Now I Know Everything