Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I Know Everything

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,563 Likes on 22,446 Posts

I learned from being on this site that you should get a poll going(or at least say you are getting a poll going but never do) and ask everyone's opinion before you buy anything "this vs that" or buy it and then ask everyone's opinion.
For example RG vs SG or one air cleaner vs another or pipes or what ever the case may be.
It's important to know you know?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Nice thread revival...

And I still carry a spare jiffy stand spring -- actually had the need for one when another biker lost his on the road(!) Goes to show you just never know too much...

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Is this the thread regarding which oil goes into which hole?

I would do a search...but f dat

Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,907 Likes on 4,132 Posts

I carry spare valve caps in my left saddlebag. I think I read a thread that said the warranty is voided if they are not in the left saddlebag. I don't think I could ride knowing I was missing a valve cap. That's just me.

In the right saddlebag I carry one quart each of Syn 3, Mobil 1 and Amsoil. This way, if I need oil I can check the forum wherever I am to see what the best one to use at the time is. I don't think I could ride knowing I didn't use what most others use.

Why do I feel older knowing this thread was started 6 years ago?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DLW_FLHTC
I do not know every thing yet, a few weeks ago on a ride I wore a hole in one finger of my gloves. I kept wearing it the rest of the weekend for the ride home, does that mean I am now gay because I wore a fingerless glove.
NO, just bi-curious. Dino or synthetic?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

What I do know, is that I don't know what I don't know, until I do know what I didn't know, because then I would know what I needed to know but by then know that it's just too late.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

What amazes me and I hope others realize is to see the main picture here is..

After he (CrawDadAZ) was a member in here for about 3 months He saw than most Questions was repeatedly asked over and over and over as I did within the first yr I was a member in here, but CrawDad has been MIA ever since..

I love this forum but I too grew tired of answering the same ole questions over and over and after helping and answering the Newbies questions for 5yrs in the Softail section I was totally burned out of doing the SOS that long, so I moved to different areas in the Forum for the last couple yrs and have totally enjoyed posting again.

We should all Grow and learn from our trails and test of growing older and we should be a better/wiser person after going through the expericence of them.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
In the short time I've been a member of this forum, I've learned an infinite number of invaluable pieces of knowledge. I'm sure if I did a search, I'd see that this subject has been discussed a thousand times..... but fu*k that noise.

First, I was able breathe a sigh of relief to learn that the model bike I bought was my own choice to make all along. Was worried I messed that one up.

It was a surprise to learn that the dealer charges parts and labor, but if I do it myself, it's only parts and special tools.

It's a little scary because I haven't done it yet, But I now know that I WILL drop my bike, probably by forgetting to put the kickstand down (who knows, I AM getting older).

Evidently it doesn't matter if your bike is clean or dirty. You're greatly respected on this forum either way. I did learn that ANYTHING will clean whitewalls just fine.

As far as floorboard scraping.... the more you scrape, the better (according to the majority). If you don't like scraping (and this was an eye opener), slow down or take them off. Hmmmmm

One of the most helpful jewels here was, when to shift. I was pretty sure I was really screwing this one up. Turns out I was good. Sigh of relief.

On the subject of mods, I read at least 50 times that you do not need to alter your ECM for slip-on's only. Wait until you do the air upgrade. Then, don't do the HD re-map, but go spend that money on an electronic gizmo, of which there are many types and everybody swears by theirs.

Oh, and then there is the subject of pipes. I guess mine will do just fine. Mine are louder, deeper, throatier, more Harley sounding than any of the ones I could actually hear in the 150 threads I tried to listen to.

I was totally confused on what the saddlebags were for. I was using them to haul my raked leaves from the yard to the trash barrel. Now I know I should only use them on the bike and put whatever I think I will need in them. And it's ok to have stuff I won't need (if there's room of course).

And don't forget to put that spare jiffy stand spring in your saddlebag (ya just never know).

The biggest revelations had to do with "cages" on the roads and hazards created by road construction. Now I know that "cages" can't see me and if I tangle with one, it's gonna hurt. Also, if I am going fast at night in unfamiliar territory, road conditions could vary.

I won't even get into everything I learned (there is not enough space here) about being a real biker, tattoos or all the fashion no-nos.

I still have one question though. Does Harley have any models with front wheel drive. I would do a search, but fu*k that noise!

Anyone else been helped as much as I have?
LMFAO

Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Yeah, we got 'em. But their frozen, come from Louisiana and we eat 'em too!
Love it lol

Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

It's good to know that even after 6 years we're still hashing over the same old crap.

Quick Reply: Now I Know Everything