General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help: Advice for 1st time accident victim...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,337 Likes on 22,637 Posts

Get a biker attorney that specializes in this type of thing. They will have insight(s) into things that you never even thought of. Godspeed!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Typical of a bitch in a BMW. Never asked if you were OK. I'd jump in this one with both feet!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if you really want to sue like has been said get a motorcycle lawyer. That said hopefully the scoot isnt too bad. I did 12k worth of damage on mine sliding down an on ramp and they fixed it and it was all cosmetic damage even though it high sided left to right 3 or 4 times and i was only going about 45 mph also. Here in michigan you have to make a damn appointment to get an estimate at the dealer so i went with an indy I know and I just left the bike with him from june till september when he had it back together enuff that i could at least ride. We had some issues and if i did it over again i might have just gone thru the dealer and it prolly would have been totaled. Get well and good luck. I know how the road rash feels believe me. I had two puncture woulds the size of half dollars in my elbow and big time road rash but no broken bones... I didnt up my life insurance i told the wife who was on the back with me but had her leather on and didnt get hurt that i wasnt giving her any extra money
Dave

Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting bike out of tow lot, and where best to take it.

Advice on dealing with repair options.
Your local dealer should go pick it up and do an assessment on it. They will tell you if the bike can be repaired, or if it is totaled, etc. for insurance purposes.

+1 on getting Motorcycle Lawyer in your area. Are the Law Tigers there?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all for well wishes... reading through posts now, don't know how to multi quote...will try one at a time...

Firstfew posts... thanks, will consider atty and other suggestions...

RE:
Originally Posted by traveler
hope everything works out okay. Go get a broken wing patch. Hope you still want to ride when you're healed up.

~Joe
Hmmm have to look into the patch thing, sh*t I want to ride right now, I'm just so pissed.

To elaborate on state of affairs... Wife was hit by red light runner in our car 1/31, she was outta work for 4 months, 2 of which I couldn't do much other than run her around, I'm self employed, things took a down turn from that.

After initial round of getting that car fixed, while I was taking her home from doctor related to accident, some dumb a$$ let a ladder fly off his van on the interstate, which I subsequently ran over coz there was no time to react. Got his info, didn't think anything was wrong, but later discovered impact caused leak in rear bushing of cross beam/sub frame, in the middle of that $1k insurance claim now.

On birthday in Aug, coming out of restaurant w/ fam SUV, barely missed being involved in a head on collision as a result of someone that turned out in front of a van coming the other way, they hit head on, van came over into my lane, we stopped short by 5 ft.

So guess since I missed that one, this was number 3 for the year? I haven't been involved in an accident in a very long time. The only thing I can't feel bad about is it not being my fault. I hate that idiot feeling you get when something is your fault, so to speak.

Like I said, I'm ready to ride, but I hope it doesn't put a damper on the progress I was making w/ getting my wife interested in riding.

Karz

Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by barjbar
It looks like SC is a fault state with very low minimum limits of liability and the only required coverage uninsured motorist. She is responsible for all damages and medical bills which will be paid by her insurance company up to the limits of the policy. If her policy doesn't cover all your losses, your own may cover the rest. You should call your motorcycle insurance carrier and you should see an attorney. In Michigan if the car's driver has no insurance, then the medical bills of the motorcyclist are covered by their own car insurance.

South Carolina Car Insurance: Guidelines to Car Insurance for Vehicles

For complete information regarding South Carolina insurance requirements and information on companies that sell auto insurance consumers can contact the South Carolina Department of Insurance through their website, https://www.doi.sc.gov, or by calling their office in Columbia at 1-800-768-3467.
All drivers in South Carolina are required to carry an uninsured motorist insurance policy, as the state does not require its drivers to maintain a liability policy. Uninsured motorist coverage will assist in the payment of medical and repair bills resulting from an accident for which the uninsured motorist was responsible and will also provide assistance for those individuals who find themselves the victims of a hit and run.
While it is not required, in light of the fact that SC is not a no fault state it is strongly suggested that all drivers maintain a liability policy at a minimum of fifteen thousand dollars for injuries suffered by a single driver, thirty thousand dollars for the combined medical expenses of all of the occupants of a vehicle and ten thousand dollars for necessary repairs to any property damage resulting from the accident, including that sustained by the victim’s vehicle. As the driver will be held personally liable for any costs exceeding these amounts it is not suggested that drivers only purchase minimum liability.

Also not required but strongly suggested is comprehensive and collision insurance. This coverage will provide for repairs needed by the vehicle of the insured following an accident for which they were responsible; without this coverage they will be held solely responsible for these expenses. In the event that a vehicle has been damaged beyond repair SC collision insurance will also “total” the vehicle and pay to the owner the cash Blue Book value of the vehicle. For this reason comprehensive insurance may be required for any new vehicle currently under lien.
Gap insurance may be available for those vehicles whose Blue Book value is less than the balance remaining on the lien, and allows the driver to move on without the balance hanging over their head in the event that the vehicle must be totaled.
FWIW, in looking at the accident report, she has a NC address, and a NC DL, so maybe she's insured in NC, don't know if it makes a difference.

See, I live on the border, so I guess there's a lot of this cross state thing here.

Thanks for posting all that info.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Women/Young Girls Kill Motorcyle Riders

Well not to sound negative to women but it is usually a woman/young girl that causes the accident with a motorcycle. I can cite more factual examples than any of you have time to read to support this statement.

I am glad for the most part you are okay. Get in touch with an attorney that rides and then sue the **** out of that lady. Everytime I have almost been hit it has been a lady/young girl. My wife just had an accident and messed up her bike because a freakin 19 year old girl slammed her breaks on with no turn signal so she could turn left.......Gee Whizzzzz.

I think legislation should be put on the books that makes vehicles that pull out in front of motorcycles and or that causes an accident with motorcyles that the driver should be charged with attempted murder. A motorcyle has no chance against a cager. A person driving a vehicle and causing an accident with a motorcycle is the same as someone pointing a loaded gun at you and pulling the trigger.

Last edited by speckfisher; 09-10-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
karz10
Road Master

I guess the atty thing is a popular opinion...thanks.

Originally Posted by TwiggyAZ
Your local dealer should go pick it up and do an assessment on it. They will tell you if the bike can be repaired, or if it is totaled, etc. for insurance purposes.

+1 on getting Motorcycle Lawyer in your area. Are the Law Tigers there?
Ummm, I have no idea, never heard of em, will have to look.

Guess that's the thing, I don't know where to start in getting a good atty. I've talked to a couple from the yellow pages before for a relative's potential malpractice suit (left gauze in after surgery) wasn't too impressed w/ the atty's I talked to.

One guy recommended an accident atty after my wife's accident earlier this year, but at the time we were handling it ourselves, but we're still not settled w/ that claim, they're agreeing to everything so far, but it's a drawn out process, sometimes I wished we had already gotten an atty for that incident, I think I may have to get one to deal w/ this.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, dude. that was jsut too much to read. Had to quit half way through. Hope it all works for ya.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
karz10
Road Master

LOL Ken, sorry, pain meds, that's why I tried to post the request for advice before the details, but I also wanted to explain as much as I could for those that wanted the details, and to get it off my chest so to speak...

Peace.

Quick Reply: Please help: Advice for 1st time accident victim...