General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rports are filtering in, stage1 and slipons with NO remapping.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 06:20 PM
02flh
Cruiser

arquida (spelling) don't like women either. Go figure

Old 09-14-2008 | 06:32 PM
02flh
Cruiser
Talking closed loop fuel control

about those slip ons not needing remapping, don't be fooled. Lets see at part throttle the closed loop fuel system might be bring the mixture pretty close to acceptable. But in open loop like heavy throttle or when the engine/o2 sensors are cold I think the calibration will be lean or the slipon's arnt flowing any more than stock. find a long hill and start from a slow speed for 6th gear and accelerat at 2/4 or better and when you have climbed the hill or the speedo enoughturn off the Ign and cost to a stop in nutral, wait for some cool down dont pull the spark plug threads out of your new bike. Look at the plug color and if there pure white you might be needing some recalibration. thanks Don 'I rode mine to the 105th'

Old 09-14-2008 | 09:06 PM
soundman
Road Captain

I don't believe a re-mapping is absolutely necessary when you change a/c and/or exhaust on bikes that are equipped with o2 sensors. When the ECM is in closed loop, the fuel mixture is constantly being maintained based on info from map, o2 sensors, rpm, etc. The ECM would still maintain the fuel mixture no matter what exhaust or a/c is on the bike. That's the beauty of EFI, it's sole job is to monitor and adjust AFR, among other things, constantly. The whole purpose of re-mapping is to re-program the ECM so that the AFR is richer that the factory settings. There are other parameters that can be changed as well, such as timing curves. This will help you optimize the performance of your engine. The factory settings are not lean enough to do damage other than baking your legs, they are lean to start with for EPA regulations. If any of the parameters that are programmed into the ECM are breached, i.e. o2 sensor too lean, a trouble code would result and the engine light would come on indicating a fault. At least this is my understanding of electronic fuel injection. I was trained at a Chevy dealership in driveability troubleshooting, and even though that was on cars, the fundamentals of EFI are the same. You still have the same components sending info in real time to an ECM which in turn adjusts AFR and timing curves to maintain certain parameters set by the factory.

I believe it is a myth that the ECM wouldn't be able to compensate for new a/c and /or exhaust. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so. I believe the confusion can be replaced with a good understanding of EFI. It would be interesting to hear from a good tuner on this subject.

Old 09-14-2008 | 10:00 PM
soundman
Road Captain

FWIW,
Next week, I'm taking my bike in to have the stage 1 done. I'm installing a/c, SERT, 2:1 Supertrapp Supermeg, 211 cams. The bike will be run on the dyno before and after and will be dialed in. I believe that if you don't have the bike tuned on a dyno, you don't get the full potential out of the engine. I want the most out of the money I'm spending for the upgrade which is why I'm having it tuned, not because I'm affraid of burning something up. I'll post the results afterwards.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:08 PM
hacksawsgarage
|
Cruiser

no motorcycle is worth 20k, c'mon, give me a break! i paid 15k. my dealer has enuff yachts, i might like to be able to at least by a rowboat someday.