Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th gear light flashes... help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6th gear light flashes... help!

I played mechanic with my bike yesterday: I changed the levers and put a cover on the master cylinder. I was really pleased with myself when I tested the brake and the clutch and everything seemed to be working fine.

I went for a ride tonight and I noticed that the 6th gear light flashed in the dashboard when I slowed down for a red light. It happened 4 or 5 times tonight. I was in 3rd or 4th gear and I was always holding the clutch all the way in as I was down shifting.

Have I done something to cause that? I'm thinking it might be an adjustment with the clutch cable?

And here I was so proud to have installed something all by myself...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. My bike is a Softail Heritage 2008.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't think anything you did would have any thing to do with the light flashing. Does it come on & shine steady when shifting in to 6th? You may have a trans. sensor that is shorting or defective.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need more information

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Cool

Had the same issue with the neutral light. Dealer replaced neutral switch under warranty said it was junk. Damn chinese parts!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Welcome to the forum. I don't think anything you did would have any thing to do with the light flashing. Does it come on & shine steady when shifting in to 6th? You may have a trans. sensor that is shorting or defective.
I have not taken it up to the 6th gear since I've changed the levers. I will do that today. It only stays on for about 2 seconds. I know that my clutch cable is looser than it was and that's the only thing I can think of (since everything fonctions ok).

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will go visit the dealer.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Default Problem fixed!

My ego wouldn't let me go to the dealer so here's what I did:

I noticed later on that my bike wouldn't start when I was in first gear and holding the clutch... so my mind started working... I read about the clutch interruptor switch and I disassembled and reassembled the clutch clamp. That did it. I still don't understand what this has anything to do with the 6th gear light coming on but the light doesn't come on anymore.

And I am so glad that I didn't go to the dealer.

That gave me the confidence to install the chrome switch housings I bought weeks ago and was to nervous to install myself. It was a piece of cake.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Linda
Grease monkey in training...

Old 09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably a loose wire short that you got when you redid it.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 07 EGC the sixth gear light is controlled by the ECM. When the speed and RPMS hit a certain ratio it comes on. But when you pull the clutch it goes out. So the clutch switch is linked in. Good troubleshooting SG!!! I'm guessing that it wants the switch showing the clutch engaged before it will display the light so it won't display if everything else seems to match while shifting.

I could be wrong but I have to second guess Medical Equipment all the time and have gotten pretty good at it.

A lot of us know about the brake switch getting broke if you don't wedge it. This reminds us about the clutch switch too. I'll keep it in mind the next time I take that side apart!!

Last edited by rickoshay45; 09-15-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by rickoshay45
On my 07 EGC the sixth gear light is controlled by the ECM. When the speed and RPMS hit a certain ratio it comes on. But when you pull the clutch it goes out. So the clutch switch is linked in. Good troubleshooting SG!!! I'm guessing that it wants the switch showing the clutch engaged before it will display the light so it won't display if everything else seems to match while shifting.

I could be wrong but I have to second guess Medical Equipment all the time and have gotten pretty good at it.

A lot of us know about the brake switch getting broke if you don't wedge it. This reminds us about the clutch switch too. I'll keep it in mind the next time I take that side apart!!
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now. I'd never done anything like that before. I'm a computer programmer and I like to solve problems. It's sort of the same thing!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wont be long you'll be pulling jugs and primary and tranny and all ..

Good for you ..

Quick Reply: 6th gear light flashes... help!