General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some questions for you LEO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbadlands
This sounds just like you were on some sort of quota system for ticket writing. Please say it is not so.

We don't have any quotas. We can write as many as we want.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir, you eyes are bloodshot, have you been drinking?

Well no officer, but your eyes are glazed, have you been eating a doughnut?

Rule number one in the academy, never get the powdered ones, that $hit never comes off.....stick to the unpowdered and glazed....and unless you prepared by bringing a bib with you, the creme filled and jellies also present unique problems of their own...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

LOL....

There is one particularly hard nosed city in my area called Pt. Orange. These are the guys who will pull you for 2 MPH over, and then use that as an excuse to pick you apart. It is almost 100% (maybe 98%) guaranteed that if you get pulled, you're getting cited. Daytona Beach Shores is just as bad.

I've been cited for the not stopping for a right turn on red. The car in front of me did it, the car behind me did it, and I did it. However, I got the cite. Was I being picked on because I was on a bike or what? Who knows.

I do know since I have been riding, whether it was my Honda or my Harley, I usually get either a flash of the lights, or they will pull beside me and motion for me to slow down or stop what I am doing wrong. I even had one officer roll up beside me and waggle his finger at me for doing a rolling stop! (I had to laugh when he did. He thought it was funny too as he was laughing as well.)

I have adopted my own etiquette for being pulled over. I don't just immeadatley stop wherever I am. If I can't get stopped quickly, I motion to the officer that I see him, and then put my 4-ways on. I then proceed to find a SAFE spot to get off the road, and then try to get off the road as far as possible. I prefer to go into a parking lot or the like. I shut the vehicle off, and keep my hands in plain sight. It keeps me and the officer away from the morons who are rubbernecking. If I get asked why I didn't stop as soon as I was "lit up", I tell them that I didn't want him or me to get hit by someone not paying attention. I usually try to have my license and reg ready, but if I have to dig for it, I wait until they come to the window first, and then tell them what I am doing as I do it. If I am on the bike, I shut it off, and remove my helmet and sunglasses (if wearing them). I don't put the bike on the stand until told to do so.

Whether it helps or not, I don't know, but since I started doing this, I have seen a DRASTIC reduction in cites. Most of the time, I get a warning and that is about it.

I have also found that in Volusia County (where I am from) that mostly the sherriff's officers will not mess with you unless you are blatantly breaking the law. Mostly, they just flash their lights. If you do get pulled by VCSO, you're getting a cite.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
evilmonkey
Cruiser

If you do something really unsafe, you get a coupon. Don't write cites very often. Laws are black and white but there is always an exception to the rule! AND by the way Donuts are out this is the 21st Century and its Bagels now!

Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the coupon for a free bagel? JK

Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More people have talked themselves "into" a citation than "out" of one...most officers do not decide to write you one - until you ask for it!!! All you gotta do is keep your mouth shut and show a little respect to the concept of civil obidience (sp). Besides, this cop might not be a turd like the last one you dealt with...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
policepop
Advanced

I'm retired now, but some things never seem to change, and one of them is that younger officers tend to be the "Hot shots", who write the majority of the "green", or marginal, citations. In general you probably want to be stopped on dayshift rather than late at night, as the graybeards like to finish their time on days and take reports. As others have said, be polite and as respectful as possible to put yourself in a position to get a break.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by policepop
I'm retired now, but some things never seem to change, and one of them is that younger officers tend to be the "Hot shots", who write the majority of the "green", or marginal, citations. In general you probably want to be stopped on dayshift rather than late at night, as the graybeards like to finish their time on days and take reports. As others have said, be polite and as respectful as possible to put yourself in a position to get a break.
Or how about the LEO's remembering that they are civil servants whose salaries are paid by our taxes and not Gods gift? And to extend courtesy's and breaks to others and not just to each other?

You have to remember people do get nervous around police and sometimes not because they have done anything wrong.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
You have to remember people do get nervous around police and sometimes not because they have done anything wrong.
Same thing as people getting worked up by doctors.... they call it White Coat Fever.... similar to getting nervous around cops... except most cops think if the person they stopped is nervous, they are hiding something. True in most cases, but not all.