General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some questions for you LEO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDEIRISH
Usually, all forward movement of the vehicle must cease. No time limit for how long you must wait.

Think about it....If I was beating you with my nightstick...

Would you want me to "just slowdown" or stop?

Don't hate me for my bad sence of humor....
I laughed.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIDEIRISH
Plus this would give me more time to spend at the Harley dealership or the doughnut shop....lol
I laughed at this one. Obviously a good egg.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
police stroker
Cruiser

Down in Texas ur going to be put up for a puclic hangin..... just joking for the most part alot of officers understand staying infront or behind a pack of cars/semis on the freeway. Generally we go after the more aggressive drivers and those who break mulitple violations of the law. So it's a safe bet unless ur a @ss to the officer when he makes contact with you ur prob. gonna get a warning. Also work on those balance stops where you can hold it for 2-3 seconds then go through the stop sign or make your turn. Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
TXK9
Intermediate

I believe in enforcing the spirit of the law, not the letter. If you not a danger to yourself or others, I will probably let you slide. Unless my quota has not been met for the week or I would be missing out on the free toaster for my 100th citation. <-- Joking.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Well at least in the departments I've worked in ,most of the officers would not write you a citation. but you still have the ones that will say the law is the law.(Most are Rookies.)
I always taught my officers that the law is written in black and white,but inforcement of the law is gray.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow!!! Great attitudes from all that have posted. I was a Law Enforcment boarding oficer in the Coast Guard and I always believed in the common sense approach to enforcing the laws. Most of the guys that I worked with though were referred to as water ****'s. LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,616 Likes on 3,436 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
do i ride a bike the same way i drive a car - nope?

when i am riding down the rode with no traffic - i pretty much follow the posted speed limt - i slow down thru towns at what the speed is.

one thing i - if i come up to a stop sign and there is no traffic (alright, actually depends on traffic) - i will not always put my feet down. i will slow down and almost come to a stop and then release the clotch and move on. what is probably called a 'rolling stop'. could be ticketed for not stopping. what would you do - ticket or no ticket.

on the xpressway, speed limit 65. supposedly the law says max speed is 65 regardless. so i am doing 65 and i come up to a semi. the semi is going slower than 65 so i will be passing. i don't like the buffeting that occurs around semi's so i speed up to get around him. up to 80 or so. 20 miles over. once i get around i slow back up to 65. what would you do - ticket or not.

same passing thing on a two lane. speed up, past posted limit to get around quicker when passing. ticket or not?

when first at a stop light, i might accelerate more quickly just to get farther ahead of the traffic behind me.

if being followed closely by some car, again i would 'speed' to get away from them. then depending on the situation i would find a turn off and wait for them to pass. another thing i will do if i can is to pull way over to the right and signal them to pass me.

so in reality i am breaking the 'law', but also attempting to avoid being near other vehicles.

would most cops understand this or would they think i am just making up excuses.

and i am not talking about going along at 75 constantly in a 55.
Back when I was in local law enforcement and actually worked traffic, I probably would never have ticketed you for any of the issues you discussed above. Now if there were a statute for being an annoying nit-picker, you'd be UNDER the jail. Sorry dude, but you strike me as one of those folks who always wants to argue, always has an excuse, and always wants to debate the finer points of the law on the side of the road. Which, by the way, will curry no favor with the vast majority of cops.

Last edited by laz; 09-09-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
oldsheepdog
Advanced

No cite from me for what you described. I do the same when I'm riding. BUT... throw in a dumb move or a "you can't cite me" attitude and your *** is mine.

jk

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txk9
free toaster for my 100th citation.
i knew it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

laz263

seems you and me would not get along
yeh - i argue, but not with the man. i will tell him what i was doing and why i was doing it. speeding is speeding, period. and i know it.
seems most here understand what i am saying and that is all i wanted to know. like is what i am doing - does it make sense - cause it makes sense to me.
maybe the stop sign thing is pushing it. but whatever.
and not nit pickin - just wondering, thats all.
seems if some cop gives me a ticket for doing 55 in a 40 because some phone yackin yahoo is tailgatin me then he is the one who is nit pickin.
been in court a whole lot in the last couple years for just a variety of situations, not for me, but for others. and cops and judges and the law, you just don't know how its going to go or what is going to happen.
you are the kind of guy who i am glad WAS in law enforcement.

but that having been said
you and i got the same kind of bike, so you can't be all bad
and i have some good memories down in georgia

regardless, thanks for you comments as i do appreciate all the different inputs

Quick Reply: some questions for you LEO's