General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They look cheap. Everything is disproportionate, the lines don't flow, and that paint/powder/what-the-hell-ever it is coating on everything looks like dog ****.

I'd say to each his own, but to me that bike is a joke. If you want a "production chopper" for around the same price, buy a Proper Chopper or something along those lines....hell, looks like they stole their fender design, anyways.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat design looks like a 5 yr. old did it. Terrible!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Zip
The crossbones, IMO NAILED the front end, and the bike looks like a good old school bobber till it hit the back fender. I'd love one, but if I did, id hook a chain to that rear fender, rip it off and start over. Put some old school tires on that, some bigger apes and thats a keeper. I love the look too
Agreed. They went old school in a big way until they came to the rear fender and flubbed it. I think a Low Rider or FatBoy style fender would have been much better.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
intempestivus
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for it. Not that it's ugly, just impractical. I have to have room for the wife and a few odds and ends.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Marco76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker:custom chopper::Prowler:hot rod

You guys remember the Plymouth Prowler? Corporate Detroit capitalizes on the 50's era hot rod to grab a lot of cash from aging boomers. Rocker is same thing, only on two wheels.

There's a lot of good things to that: warranty and parts, production consistency, relatively practical road-worthiness. And most customs, even "standard models," are much more expensive than the Rocker, even at its questionable premium.

Clearly, the idea was to mimic the classic hardtail chopper custom and, hopefully, be mistaken for actually duplicating one. Apparently, corporate HQ considered that a fat tire with a low-clearance fender was a key element, so the fender fixed to the swing-arm was their softtail solution.

Trouble is, then they got to the saddle, and the classic chopper seat-on-the-fender could not be done. Worse still, corporate said, in order to sell enough units, it has got to be able to run two-up. The result-by-committee is a monstrosity.

Main, fundamental problem is they took a very-narrow-appeal niche bike - the bar hopping chopper - and tried to make it appeal to a much wider demographic, bastardizing much in the process. Net result is it has no "soul."

For me, the Rocker is what got me back to H-D. I am an "aging boomer" and fit perfectly within that demographic for the Prowler-type vehicle. The only way I can see liking the bike, though, is with something like the sprung solo seat conversion that Heartland makes. It let's the hardtail chopper fender stay wrapped to the tire without looking goofy with a saddle up on the shoulders of the beast. IMO.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Geoff
Heartland's Rocker conversion kit eliminates the space between the seat and fender. This is the design Harley should have offered.

I gotta say, I do like that. That's a world of improvement in my opinion...

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Marco76
You guys remember the Plymouth Prowler? Corporate Detroit capitalizes on the 50's era hot rod to grab a lot of cash from aging boomers. Rocker is same thing, only on two wheels.

There's a lot of good things to that: warranty and parts, production consistency, relatively practical road-worthiness. And most customs, even "standard models," are much more expensive than the Rocker, even at its questionable premium.

Clearly, the idea was to mimic the classic hardtail chopper custom and, hopefully, be mistaken for actually duplicating one. Apparently, corporate HQ considered that a fat tire with a low-clearance fender was a key element, so the fender fixed to the swing-arm was their softtail solution.

Trouble is, then they got to the saddle, and the classic chopper seat-on-the-fender could not be done. Worse still, corporate said, in order to sell enough units, it has got to be able to run two-up. The result-by-committee is a monstrosity.

Main, fundamental problem is they took a very-narrow-appeal niche bike - the bar hopping chopper - and tried to make it appeal to a much wider demographic, bastardizing much in the process. Net result is it has no "soul."

For me, the Rocker is what got me back to H-D. I am an "aging boomer" and fit perfectly within that demographic for the Prowler-type vehicle. The only way I can see liking the bike, though, is with something like the sprung solo seat conversion that Heartland makes. It let's the hardtail chopper fender stay wrapped to the tire without looking goofy with a saddle up on the shoulders of the beast. IMO.
I think you just nailed it. Tapping into the niche market for sure. I just haven't seen anyone representing that niche on a Rocker. I still see Prowlers roaming around here in Orange County, FL, but the only Rocker I've seen outside of the H-D demo fleet was this one sitting at the dealer gathering dust.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

better that it burnt out, (never took off)
than have to suffer it fading away.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco76

Good post.

People shunned the Plymouth Prowler because it was underpowered. Hot rods are not built around a V6 mill.

As with any bike, the Rocker's styling is a subjective call. The problem with this model is that Harley was late to the party. When the bike was released--following an unexplained delay--the chopper craze was ending. An earlier introduction could have led to more unit sales.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
7aceshigh7
Cruiser

I haven't liked it since day one!

Quick Reply: Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?