General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rail
I learned long ago, if you want an American V-Twin then buy a Harley.. Big Dog's are very well made but the dealer network of 100 can leave you a long way from help if you need it.. 70 miles to my nearest dealer is a little farther than 7 miles to my HD dealer..

I agree, there are pro's and con's to all makes and models.. Very few of these are "stock" after we get our hands on them..We look for the platform that most suits us and what we envision.. After that we all work our magic.. The Rocker appealed to me by giving me the "platform" I needed in order to achieve the look I wanted.. I wanted the longer rake and I wanted the fat tire without being an obnoxious 280mm or 300mm.. There are things that I don't like.. The handgrenade ignition is kinda cool but it ejects the key everytime you stop and have to turn it off.. What I wouldn't give for the old style on the tank sometimes.. With that setup also comes the flatter speedo.. Thought about a tank lift but in the end I really like the long and low look.. I read someone's post that the Rocker was short?.. Really?.. It's 8' long.. A Big Dog is 6" longer.. Big deal..

Here's my vision of a Rocker..

See, I'm looking at yours and I'm thinking, that's the bike H-D should have built. My biggest issues with the bike were comfort and that giant gap between the seat and the rear fender. You've eliminated the gap with whatever mod kit you put on there (looks absolutely cherry, by the way, that's the Heartland kit SC-Longhair mentioned?), and it probably also made the bike a CRAP-load more comfortable. I felt like I was going to fall off the back of the bike the entire ride when the demo fleet was in town. The "half blacked-out" look also complements the powder-coated bits better for my taste. Long & low for sure.

I'll say it again, your Rocker is the one H-D should have built in the first place.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Windeed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen a thread like this about Rockers in 8 months. If you were really interested in an answer to the question this should have been posted in Softails. Those of us with Rockers have heard this all before. The Rocker brought me into the showroom becuase I wasn't interested in buying an HD that looked like it was designed in the 50's with a few updates. I am just not into the classic look but I can appreciate it. The Rocker gave me something more contemporary in design. Many people have a problem with the space between the seat and rear fender on the Rocker and I did too. My bike is slammed to reduce the gap and the tank has a 2 inch lift to straighten out the lines. I bought this bike intending it to be a solo ride. I need some storage just like everyone else so I use the trick seat for a trunk bag. Saddle bags were out of the question for me. The bag also keeps me in the saddle because the seat design is shallow and that is a fair criticism.

I wouldn't trade my bike for any other. Down the road I hope to have second bike, a bagger for long trips but the Rocker is my choice for single day rides. I'm not ready to have one of those rolling couches as my only bike. Just about all bikes straight off the showroom floor need work to make them look better and more comfortable and the Rocker is no different.

Not many Rocker owners saw this thread because they are are out riding. That is the best answer to your question.

Attached Thumbnails Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?-rockerbag001.jpg   Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?-straighton001.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

man...rail i never get tired of looking at the pic of your bike....now THATS what Harley "should have done"

I learned long ago, if you want an American V-Twin then buy a Harley.. Big Dog's are very well made but the dealer network of 100 can leave you a long way from help if you need it.. 70 miles to my nearest dealer is a little farther than 7 miles to my HD dealer..

I agree, there are pro's and con's to all makes and models.. Very few of these are "stock" after we get our hands on them..We look for the platform that most suits us and what we envision.. After that we all work our magic.. The Rocker appealed to me by giving me the "platform" I needed in order to achieve the look I wanted.. I wanted the longer rake and I wanted the fat tire without being an obnoxious 280mm or 300mm.. There are things that I don't like.. The handgrenade ignition is kinda cool but it ejects the key everytime you stop and have to turn it off.. What I wouldn't give for the old style on the tank sometimes.. With that setup also comes the flatter speedo.. Thought about a tank lift but in the end I really like the long and low look.. I read someone's post that the Rocker was short?.. Really?.. It's 8' long.. A Big Dog is 6" longer.. Big deal..

Here's my vision of a Rocker..

Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

they look 100% better with the Heartland rear fender/seat

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarman777
Now I gotta say, I really liked it at first, thought it was a really cool & unique design, but dang if it's not a superfluously ugly ride. It seriously looks like someone took a full-size chopper and put it through the wash. The Rocker C is certainly better-looking, the powder coating on the standard looks like plastic, but then again it's still probably the most uncomfortable bike I've ever sat on. Just my $.02.
Same - I keep lokking at them and saying "hey that's pretty cool...wait a minute, not really..." I do like the fold out passenger seat idea - I'd like to see that incorprated into other bikes, (with some improvements).

Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Heartland's Rocker conversion kit eliminates the space between the seat and fender. This is the design Harley should have offered.

There you go. I like that. The stock seat is a big turn off.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rocker C is OK looking, if I had alot of extra cash I might get one for a Bar hopper, but they are not comfortable for any lenght of time.
I rode one at the Demo days at Sturgis and NOT comfortable for a bigger guy like me

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with the FXCW Rocker for the most part but have to admit, the seat set-up on the FXCWC was weird to say the least.
Only negative with the FXCW for me anyway was it sat me to close to the bars for my liking.

Krusr

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
There you go. I like that. The stock seat is a big turn off.
Exactly!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stopped by my local stealership the other day to see some of the 09's (the VROD Muscle in particular, hasn't arrived yet), and I noticed something out of place. Went and took a closer look, and it was a Rocker. Now I gotta say, I really liked it at first, thought it was a really cool & unique design, but dang if it's not a superfluously ugly ride. It seriously looks like someone took a full-size chopper and put it through the wash. The Rocker C is certainly better-looking, the powder coating on the standard looks like plastic, but then again it's still probably the most uncomfortable bike I've ever sat on. Just my $.02.

Did anyone around here buy one and keep it?
YES,but let me adress some of your other comments too.you say tomato
i say tomaato, i chose the c cuz im a chrome junkie i bet you have no
chrome on your bike do you have a bike?i chose it cuz its different 4 sure
comfort is for sissies my .02 next......

Did you find the seat really uncomfortable? Now I know what the average woman feels like after a visit to the OBGYN...

*ducks*

Hey, I'm married. I can say stuff like that.
once again comfort is for sissies LOL next.....

Originally Posted by Skitzer
I almost bought a Rocker ...... had a brief moment of sanity and got a Heritage instead.
I like the looks of the Rocker.

No you did not have a brief moment of sanity,you see insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over exspecting different results you have
the same result as millions LOL next.....

Originally Posted by tano01
On paper I think it looks pretty cool, but in person I did not care for it. It looked like it was made of plastic. Not real comfortable to me either, but I do ride a touring bike daily...
probably with ol man geezer white walls LOL j/k next........this is great
so far thanks for all the positive comments guys!!! next.....

Originally Posted by Geoff
The Rocker is one of those bikes that looks better in print than in person. I did not see a single one at the 105th anniversary in Milwaukee.
where were you at kid rock show the whole time?i saw 1/2 dozen excluding mine yeah i know their a rare bike i like it that way i dont like same ol same
ol but to each their own. sound like a broken record but us fxcw owners
love you all anyway even if you cant see us next........

Originally Posted by Mr Zip
I think theyre *** ugly. To each his own, but it looks like something victory would make.
nah victory wishes they could make something this cool and put bar and shield logo on it. next..........

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Never cared for the looks of it. Looks like 3 bikes cobbled together, a skinny dyna front end, a deuce gas tank, and I don't WTF that rear fender is off of.
Maybe vrod meets dyna deuce?
yeah and your bike????????????? next.........

Originally Posted by E.Richardson
I like the look of them but I just didn't want to get one for one simple reason -- To me they're a fad. The fat tire, the 'chopped' look... I don't know I just kept thinking in the back of my head, "It looks so trendy" - I didn't want to be stuck with a bike 5 years from now that looks like an OCC/West Coast Choppers/Big Dog wanna be.

I know that might not make sense but it was the only thought that didn't put me on the bike for a test drive.
occ bikes wishes they were choppers,those bikes imo suck,co dependant and a dry drunk on tv crying all the time pahlese,now west coast is a different story jj gat some nice stuff and big dawgs are well go look in the trading times
they're resale is for crud,noone wants em my rock will be w/ me hopefully
past "the trend" ha ha i didn't buy it for a trend i bought it to ride get a grip

you'll get over it next................

Originally Posted by IronAss
I think it would be Awesome to see Rosie Odonnel in Hell (Via a remote feed of course)
her lifestyle will get her there,there is hope though for her and everyone & it
ain't obama next...........

Originally Posted by ken08fxcwc
Why do we need to defend our choice of bike?

I've often wondered why people feel the need to start threads bashing other peoples choice of rides. If you didn't like it don't buy it, it's really that simple

I don't like alot of the bikes I see here, but I figure to each their own. I personally like having a bike when I ride up to a group it will look different. Of course there are alot of people that want to pull up and look just like the other 40 bikes sitting their too.

Quit worrying about what others ride and just get out and ride
amen to that ,but this is kinda fun next...............

Originally Posted by 6o66er
Uh....no.

Sorry, but...just...NO.
U H Y E A H S O R R Y , B U T J U S T Y E A H
U H N E X T . . . . . . . .

Uh YES... Silly boy, sporty's are for chicks.. LOL.. I love to hear some dude rockin a sporty as a primary ride tell other that what they think of their bikes.. Keep on rockin bro, that bike might grow up one day.. lmao

Man, I can't believe I just found this thread of fun.. LET'S PLAY!!... lmao
ok even though its almost not fair LOL LOL LMAO
next...........

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
Ah, yeah, 100% agree! A Nightster, maybe, but no friggin way does a Rocker look better than a Crossbones....
its good to back at folsom you drink this water????
its ok you can say it yes a rocker looks better than a crossbones
NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by HDNA
The problem with the Rocker is it's just plain UGLY. Both of 'em. They look like the designers got drunk half way through and said f**kit.

Fatboys and Heritages forever.
yes you too will change your mind

next................

Originally Posted by donk_316
My bike is better than your bike.
oh yeah? your bike is a gayrod LOL old time hockey right coach?next...

Originally Posted by Windeed
I haven't seen a thread like this about Rockers in 8 months. If you were really interested in an answer to the question this should have been posted in Softails. Those of us with Rockers have heard this all before. The Rocker brought me into the showroom becuase I wasn't interested in buying an HD that looked like it was designed in the 50's with a few updates. I am just not into the classic look but I can appreciate it. The Rocker gave me something more contemporary in design. Many people have a problem with the space between the seat and rear fender on the Rocker and I did too. My bike is slammed to reduce the gap and the tank has a 2 inch lift to straighten out the lines. I bought this bike intending it to be a solo ride. I need some storage just like everyone else so I use the trick seat for a trunk bag. Saddle bags were out of the question for me. The bag also keeps me in the saddle because the seat design is shallow and that is a fair criticism.

I wouldn't trade my bike for any other. Down the road I hope to have second bike, a bagger for long trips but the Rocker is my choice for single day rides. I'm not ready to have one of those rolling couches as my only bike. Just about all bikes straight off the showroom floor need work to make them look better and more comfortable and the Rocker is no different.

Not many Rocker owners saw this thread because they are are out riding. That is the best answer to your question.
yep but i had to pit stop
and answer this 1 question.LOL did i fall in love w/this bike??does anyone??
that should be the question

well that was fun....but im sure there will be more stragglers comin here soon
next..........

Last edited by m i k e; 11-18-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Did *anyone* really fall in love with the Rocker?