General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handicap plates on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Leg Rider
If ya don mind me askin .. How do ya ride a Harley with one arm? What sort of mods can help ya do that?
i would think the difficulty depends on the level of amputation. i lost my arm at the shoulder. as such, i don't have the muscle control to effectively control the handlebars in the event of an emergency situation. is it impossible for me to ride a 2 wheeler? hell no, but it greatly increases the chance of something bad happening in the event i have to perform an emergency maneuver. as such, i chose to trike my bike out. due to the extent of my injuries, chances are that if i go down, again, i'm not getting up again.

while i can't say for sure, i would think that a lower level amputee, such as at the elbow, would still have a certain level of control that i will never be able to have. this is just my theeory, but i think that could be a great advantage in riding a 2 wheeler and i applaud anyone who gets back on after suffering a setback.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM
hdbikerperson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group here in Ontario called b.r.o. worked very hard and we now have handicap permits for bikes. I have one but try not to use it unless i am having a bad day. I walk as well as anyone for about 50ft and you would think i am in great health but then i have no feeling in my legs. 2 heart attacks and copd with unstable angina on the side. but i love to ride. (JUST PICKED UP A NEW AC/DC BATTERY) oxygen machine for the bike. ready for some long trips this summer.