General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Helmet Law Possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:14 PM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: National Helmet Law Possible

Years ago in the UK we had the same problem ! We kicked, screamed, protested and blatantly road without helmets !

Did it make any difference ?

NO

The trouble is no matter what you think or say we the Bikers are in the minority and do not affect the vote in any way at all so face up to it you will be ridden roughshod over and forced to capitulate by the winging liberal pilocks who seem to be gaining control of everything.

The idiots over here are now looking at attaching chips to the engine management to compulsory slow bikes down to the posted speed limits via satalite technology !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Slide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is how outlaw bikers came to be.
Think that'll still scare 'em if most of us are over 50???

Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

Hey man....I am as liberal as they come. But I also believe in personal accountability. I believe in wearing helmets. But my beliefs end at your nose. You do whatever you believe. But you must be responsible and accountable for your own actions...this goes for helmets..or anything else.

Just because you believe in something or think something is wrong, doesnt mean you push your beliefs on someone else or force them to comply with how you believe on the subject. It is not liberal or conservative, just a respect for other peoples rights.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a cigar smoking, gun owning, Harley rider. I guess I should beat the rush and reserve my spot in the concentration camp right now.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:50 PM
helotaxi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the ACLU weigh in on this? Doubtful. It is an issue that actually involves freedom not protecting the "rights" of some fringe element that should be classified obscene (and thus not covered under free speech). Actual liberties that involve choice and accountability for the choice you make? Nope not their cup of tea.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: helotaxi

Will the ACLU weigh in on this? Doubtful. It is an issue that actually involves freedom not protecting the "rights" of some fringe element that should be classified obscene (and thus not covered under free speech). Actual liberties that involve choice and accountability for the choice you make? Nope not their cup of tea.
tell em youre a homo, and you was bein profiled on

Old 03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

How about a National Speak English Law instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Personally, I always wear a helmet anyway, but I do understand others who want that choice.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:04 AM
hdsneegas
Cruiser

You know, I've been riding for a long long time and I've always ridden without a helmet except when neccessary like when it's real cold or when you ride into a helmet State. The other day something happen while on a ride that shook my resolve just a bit. A friend I was riding with was hit from behind. He never new what hit him, at least not yet. He's still in an induced coma. No helmet, struck a windshield while flying backwards, blood clot in the center of the brain, don't know if he's going to make it or not. I realize now that I am not superman and just maybe after 45 years of riding that my luck is about to run out. I admit after seeing tha accident and the aftermath that Im a little scared. we should however retain the choice to wear one or not. I think I'll probably start wearing one a little more often than I used to. Maybe I can cut the odds down a little.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:21 AM
cootertwo
Cruiser

JBBOOKS if you get there first, save me the cell next to yours, I'll help dig the tunnel...... :-)

Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't wear a helmet but know I should. If they passed the law I would get used to it just like seat belts.

Quick Reply: National Helmet Law Possible