General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclist dies on Dragon; second motorcyclist taken to UT Medical Center

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
shooter537
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
The thing that always bothers me the most is that someone may have got hurt or killed through no fault of his own except to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and ends up being caught in someone else's series of mistakes or poorly judged actions. We all like to think we can avoid the wreck but time doesn't always allow it.

I believe that's sometimes referred to as "Fait". I too believe that in all "motor vehicle collisions" there are contirbuting factors that can be directed at the operator. I will stop just short of saying that in "every" MVC there is a violation of a traffic law, ie.. failed to yield right of way, failed to drive in a single lane, improper lane useage, following to close etc.

Just my .02

Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 AM
BarneyMN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thirty six years old and always get a kick out of people that say "wish I could do it all over again". I'm happy that I made it this far! To do it all over again would be insane! You eventually run out of luck! People make mistakes and unfortuneatley take other people with them. I guess we could call it "LIFE".

Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Chubby
Road Captain

Sounds all too familiar to me... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/270585-crotchrocket-nightmare.html ... everyone's a movie star.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:46 PM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been there and likely won't be, but I always wonder, after reading lots of posts about this road, why, if so many people get injured or killed on this lil stretch, the state highway dept doesn't either straighten it out or move the road , eliminating that stretch? Maybe the topography makes it impossible?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by pete913
I've never been there and likely won't be, but I always wonder, after reading lots of posts about this road, why, if so many people get injured or killed on this lil stretch, the state highway dept doesn't either straighten it out or move the road , eliminating that stretch? Maybe the topography makes it impossible?
It's a US highway following a gap through the mountains (hence Deal's Gap). Although it has plenty of twists (nowhere near 318 however) they are generally predictable, and the road surface is very good. It is travelled by tens of thousands of motorcycles, cars, SUVs, motor-homes, station wagons pulling boats, eighteen wheelers, and church buses every year without incident.

If you learned how to ride a bike yesterday, you can ride it safely. If you are from somewhere flat and your idea of a curve is a freeway off ramp you can ride it safely. The key is not using it as a racetrack or an opportunity to demonstrate your skill (or lack of). The sport bikes are the main problem, but I've seen Harleys, BMW's dirt bikes, and just about everything else scattered by the side of the road.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dragon avoidance

I live 25 miles from the Dragon and seldom go there any more. To many Blout co sheriffs and tn state troopers pulling people over for going 10-20 over.
That and the large number of bad riders up there have me riding everywhere else. When I need to make the scene I'll go to bike nite or whatever.

steve

Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to do the run, but keep asking myself why. I had a great run through some very twisty roads in NC and NE GA, and my long term goal would be a run like Wolf Creek Pass or something similar out west - those are real mountains! So, is it really worth the risk to run this 11 mile stretch? I mean, I DO know how to ride curves so it isn't like it is some kind of test that will match my last bit of strength and willpower. Might just find other, more serene rides without the risk of crazy riders and LEOs.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden it and it ain't all that sexy if you ask me. There was a guy killed the first day we were there. He was riding a trike and high sided, over corrected and plunged over one of the 300' or so embankments. The scenery and riding pace just don't do it for me and after you add the crowd and the street racers, I can ride somewhere else and enjoy it more.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fear Night
Sorry... that guy was too stupid to be on a bike. And of course, the guy on the two pictures going down HAD to be from Oklahoma - sheesh...

Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over ten years ago my girl friend and I were crusin' a great rode in the California mountains. Two sport bikes passed us like we were standing still. 15-20 miles down the road we came upon an accident. Both guys had rear ended a mid-sized delivery truck. We were first on the scene. The truck driver was in shock and sport bike drivers probably died instantly when they slammed into the back of the truck. The truck was mid way thru a curve and there were a few feet of straight line skid marks. They passed us riding side by side. I checked vitals; they were dead. The driver had three warning reflectors so I put them a couple hundred feet back up the road. We sat with the truck driver for a while (no cell phones) and then continued on until we found a cabin with people and a telephone.

Both guys had full leathers, boots, gloves and helmets. Their front wheels must have hit the trucks rear end collision safety bar causing the bikes rear to come up and hurl both bodies into the truck rear door. It was a mess! I have often wondered if the truck driver ever got over it.

Quick Reply: Cyclist dies on Dragon; second motorcyclist taken to UT Medical Center