General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD alarm is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an Immobilizer. Not as secure as the HD unit, as it *could* be hotwired, but someone would have to work hard since I hard wired it into my main harness with -all- black wires. The HD unit can't be hotwired, it locks out the ignition module digitally and securely, the only way around it is to replace the turn/security module & the ignition module. Very inconvenient even for a professional thief. My Immobilizer will tell me when I disarm it, if someone had triggered it while I was gone, and it's gone off a few times in situations where I'm glad it did and was still sitting there when I got back. Had I unlimited funds, I would go with the factory security with siren, but I don't and I got the system before HD released their alarms.

Hogdoctor

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
FatBobRay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the HD security without the audible alarm. It's great! My Step son sat on the bike and the lights did their thing and scared the hell out of him ... now HE stays off. It's worth it just for that!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
rdkingryder69
Advanced

I am a firm believer in "If the want it bad enough they are going to get it." 99% of the time mine isn't locked.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the HD audible alarm with the pager. It's a great piece of mind if nothing else, and it sure makes a lot of racket while it's at it. I figure anything that will stop the common thief is worth it. Pros get what they want.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
krismac23
Cruiser

i have it and it prevented my friend from playing a prank on me.. he took my keys and wanted to park it down the block and watch me freak out like it was stolen..thank u key fob

Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKGary
I have the HD audible alarm with the pager. The alarm first warns of tampering, then goes off. I just returned from a month on the road and only had a problem once. The tamper warning scared the asses off. The pager worked and I was at the bike in seconds. I always set the alarm. But, as will be said, if "they" want it they will get it.

My alarm worked.
Ditto.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Well...as to your first question, "is it worth it?" I suppose that would depend on your perspective. To me a small investment in a HD alarm is well worth the cost to protect a $25k investment. As far as other alarms go.....why would you buy anything else?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since most bikes are stolen by being lifted onto trucks/trailers etc, disabling the motor isn't much good, you need the audible siren. I'm not a big fan of the new HD alarm, but only because you have to carry that key fob everywhere......the alarm itself is a good system.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's a good reason to have an alarm....

If you want to run into 7-11 to pic up a pack of smokes or something, you can;
1) Park your bike and lock the ignition
2) Park your bike, leaving the ignition unlocked
3) Park your bike, lock the ignition & arm the alarm
4) Park your bike, leave the ignition unlocked & arm the alarm

Obviously, #2 is the quickest, and it's what a lot of people do, thinking they'll just be in the store for a minute. It allows for the very remote chance some dingleberry will jump on your bike, fire it up and ride off.

Almost as quick and painless is #4 - it prevents the crime of opportunity by disabling the ignition, and warns you someone is messing with your bike (you'll hear, and probably see, the alarm, since you are close to the bike)

In the same manner, you can leave it armed in the garage for those times when you leave the overhead door open. Maybe you're working on some project in the garage, going in and out of the house. Some neighborhood kid (or moronic adult) might see your bike & decide to take it for a joy ride. By arming the alarm, you prevent this possibility without having to physically lock the ignition.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

If someone who knows what he's doing wants it bad enough, he will get it...
however it is also a bit of piece of mind for the owner.

Tonight I was out to visit friends and stopped at a gas station with a coffee shop to pickup some java for my friends, while standing at the counter my alarm goes off and I can hear it in the coffee shop, I go outside and there are a bunch of people pointing to a cab driver who had parked his cab in the lot and was standing off to the side from my m/c. I go up to this clown and confront him, he admits he went over to my m/c and started moving the handlebars as he was curious about my bike...

I was firm in my conversation and he won't be touching anyone's Harley ever again.
The alarm on my Harley's has always been worth it to me..

I also have the pager unit for when I am out of eyesight of my scoot..

Quick Reply: HD alarm is it worth it?