General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got called a patch collecter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got called a patch collecter!

I finally felt well enough to go for a short ride on my unfinished trike yesterday. Cold as hell, 38 degrees but wonderful. Stopped at the corner store on the way home. When I came out there was 4 young guys with Harleys parked next to mine. I said Hi as I folded up my cane and got on. One of the guys says "nice vest" I said thanks thinking his comment was genuine. As I started my bike he said "what are you a patch collecter..afraid to ride 2 wheels" Part of me wished I was the old me, before becoming disabled, the guy who wouldn't have thought twice about clocking this A#@ and asking if his friends had anything funny they'ld like to say..but I just chuckeled and road off, I already didn't feel well because of the effects of riding. You know, I've been riding since the 60s, before these ****** were born, but never owned a vest or patch. But since becoming disabled, my brother died. I bought a patch that reminded me of a tattoo he had and another that says "In memory of my brother Steve". I have now joined HOG, BTW, AMA, MRF and Abate. And I've added those patches even though I have only been able to attend 1 meeting and 2 rides in 2 years. Joining these groups and forums like this one, has kept me connected to something I love.
Anyway just wishing I had told them about my brother and what that patch means to me and that Ya I'm a patch collecter, what are you?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your patches mean something to you and that's what matters.

I'm more of a pin collector from places I've been or just 'cause they look "cool".

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

Sounds like it's much better to be a patch collecter than a disrespectful punk like that guy was acting. Let it roll off your back knowing he is an ***, plain and simple.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I've quit asking people what certain patches on their vest mean. It turns into listening to a long story, which is fine. Kind of the same for most tats. The owner/wearer will usually have a deep or sentimental reason for them too.
On the other hand, there are those who will just sew on a patch cause it looks cool. I really don't know how to distinguish between the two without asking.

Last edited by EasternSP; 09-06-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
obonaven
Road Master

What A-holes! Especially sicne you said you had a cane with you! No respect!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Doesn't matter where you go, there will always be a punk bitch.
I see an older guy (70's) a few days a week on a trike; I just think I hope I still have the drive by that age.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:59 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Obviously they are probably newbies. They will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and receive there attitude adjustment sooner or later. I'm a patch and pin collector. Every patch or pin has meaning. I also like reading other peoples patches. You spot a patch from somewhere you haven't been and get a story and insight for a future trip. The kids future trip was probably to the next store because it was too cold. Don't sweat it.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
RoadKing62
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry for your problem with the young road kill. The one thing you and i know, his day will come, if continues to talk like that. Now, dammm if you only had one of those special canes, that has a blade pop out or a weighted cane perfect for bashing punk heads, might have broke the cane though Take care

Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just gotta wonder what kind of ******** would make a crack like that to a guy with a cane getting on a trike. Shows me you are a dedicated rider who, in spite of your disability, still has the ***** to mount up and ride. You've got my respect. Like FXSTDSE2 said, they were probably instant bikers. Bought the HD's, do-rags and leathers and figured the bad-*** attitudes was part of the deal. Fug-em

Old 09-06-2008, 01:16 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RoadKing62
Sorry for your problem with the young road kill. The one thing you and i know, his day will come, if continues to talk like that. Now, dammm if you only had one of those special canes, that has a blade pop out or a weighted cane perfect for bashing punk heads, might have broke the cane though Take care
Ya, a sword cane.......if only they folded up.......maybe a scabard on the front forks......

Quick Reply: Got called a patch collecter!