General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One charge dropped in Stugis bar fight

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Mad Mike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDEIRISH
A question I've been pondering this whole time...

It's been stated as fact that the IP were in the bar first....

So

When the HA walked in and saw it occupied by coppers, why didn't they just turn around and leave? Why did they stay AND call for more backup? I mean were they really afraid of 5-6coppers sitting in a bar?

I wonder....

**This question isn't posted to get a reponse to the actual question**
Rideirish, you're absolutely right except re-read what Twiggy just wrote. The fundemental issue for me, in any case, is that I don't credit the HA for having the sense to walk away from something/anything and I don't think any other reasonably thinking person gives them that credit either - let's face it, their sign-on paper reads a little different than that of LEO's.
We expect more from law enforcement, a higher standard. They should have more under the motor cap than your average HA. I'm not footing the bill for the HA's, when they come around with their hats out for donations, I turn the other way. I expect more from the police, I want to point out to my grand kids that they are their friends and protectors. In my book, when they fall, they fall hard and by the way, I'm paying their salary - not begrudgingly but proudly. They need to live up to that standard. Like Twiggy said, somebody had to make a decision to take themselves out of the picture - that was the only right decision to make. You can't expect Neanderthals like the HA to be capable of making the right decision. It rested solely with our boys in blue and they failed period. The rest doesn't matter in my book. All this legal bs is nothing more than the consequence. At the end of the day I hope both parties go down. The Angels because they don't deserve any slack (let's face it, they don't give any) and the IP's because they failed. As bloggers we've given them more time than they deserve. I take my hat off to all LEO's for what they have to put up with on a daily basis, but they chose for it, and I hold them accountable to a high standard. Let me down and I'm unmerciful. As for the HA, they too chose for a life-style but not at my expense. I have expectations from the police but none from the HA. I can't question an Angel but I can an LEO and I do expect an LEO to protect me from an Angel. I don't give a damned if the HA discipline their own but I don't trust the LEO to discipline theirs. So, whatever the courts decide, we can still hold the police to a standard above reproach and I hope all those LEO's who read this, keep that in mind. Any HA who can read(few and far between), doesn't give a schijt about what I say here, but most cops can read and should follow the example of fellow brother Stro, when it didn't smell right, walk away from it - it wasn't a bust. Hope I made my point with all this late evening rambling. MM

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Darkstar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this was a big confrontation between the IP's and the HA's then why is only one HA charged with anything? Why was one of the IP's who happens to be a fireman armed? Why did the IP's change some of the stuff on their website if they really have nothing to hide? Why should the word of the shooter be trusted based on his past dealings with HA's and his past problems controlling his temper? If this truly was a good shooting then why is the shooter being charged? I'll wait for more facts to come out to pass judgement but it seems like there is a lot more to this then either side of this debate is willing to admit.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
Rideirish, you're absolutely right except re-read what Twiggy just wrote. The fundemental issue for me, in any case, is that I don't credit the HA for having the sense to walk away from something/anything and I don't think any other reasonably thinking person gives them that credit either - let's face it, their sign-on paper reads a little different than that of LEO's.
We expect more from law enforcement, a higher standard. They should have more under the motor cap than your average HA. I'm not footing the bill for the HA's, when they come around with their hats out for donations, I turn the other way. I expect more from the police, I want to point out to my grand kids that they are their friends and protectors. In my book, when they fall, they fall hard and by the way, I'm paying their salary - not begrudgingly but proudly. They need to live up to that standard. Like Twiggy said, somebody had to make a decision to take themselves out of the picture - that was the only right decision to make. You can't expect Neanderthals like the HA to be capable of making the right decision. It rested solely with our boys in blue and they failed period. The rest doesn't matter in my book. All this legal bs is nothing more than the consequence. At the end of the day I hope both parties go down. The Angels because they don't deserve any slack (let's face it, they don't give any) and the IP's because they failed. As bloggers we've given them more time than they deserve. I take my hat off to all LEO's for what they have to put up with on a daily basis, but they chose for it, and I hold them accountable to a high standard. Let me down and I'm unmerciful. As for the HA, they too chose for a life-style but not at my expense. I have expectations from the police but none from the HA. I can't question an Angel but I can an LEO and I do expect an LEO to protect me from an Angel. I don't give a damned if the HA discipline their own but I don't trust the LEO to discipline theirs. So, whatever the courts decide, we can still hold the police to a standard above reproach and I hope all those LEO's who read this, keep that in mind. Any HA who can read(few and far between), doesn't give a schijt about what I say here, but most cops can read and should follow the example of fellow brother Stro, when it didn't smell right, walk away from it - it wasn't a bust. Hope I made my point with all this late evening rambling. MM

Damn, are we just a bit biased?

I know some 1%, not HA but 1% none the less and they read well. They also know how to structure sentences and when to break paragraphs.....

jus' sayin'

Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

But Mike...the some of the facts were brought out already, some by me, some by the state AG...I know it was a few pages ago and my posts tend to be long winded...but it was already brought out...

"Like Twiggy said, somebody had to make a decision to take themselves out of the picture - that was the only right decision to make. You can't expect Neanderthals like the HA to be capable of making the right decision. It rested solely with our boys in blue and they failed period"

The IP noticed the arrival of the smaller group and after a verbal exchange, noticed the larger group of them arriving. The IP WERE leaving the bar. The IP attacked was just trying to take a leak before getting on his bike....It's what I've been saying all along...

Every right to be there, every right to wear what they want, but they made a decision to remove themselves and were trying to do that when viciously attacked from behind....

Just sayin'.....

Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
aimhard
Cruiser

From the beginning it looked like a miscarriage of justice. 1) Dual/counter assault charges 2) off duty cops, our 1st line of defense against terrorism, with weapons charges, a violation of federal law, 3) and now a bogus pergury charge finally dropped. It looks like they were in a panic, and according to one thread I read " Arrested them all and let God sort it out". Look for more charges to be dropped.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Damn, are we just a bit biased?

I know some 1%, not HA but 1% none the less and they read well. They also know how to structure sentences and when to break paragraphs.....

jus' sayin'
You're right RoadKingRon, I guess I shouldn't have had that last beer before getting carried away with my answer. I admitted I was rambling. Should have watched that punctuation a bit better too.
I didn't think I was being too hard on the HA's, I did imply that some could read. As for knowing when or, having the sense, to backdown. I'll stick by what I said; it's not in their nature.
I'll leave it at this. Besides, the Big Red Machine has a pretty good size chapter here and the last thing I need is them coming after me.
Take care. MM

Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Who, exactly, had their azz handed to them? As I recall there was only 1 in the hospital.
As a consequence of playing the LEO card when he couldn't back up the BS he was perpetrating.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 09-10-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

time will tell but it does sound like they wont be wearing color's in the bar anymore.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been following this and the other thread on the subject from the beginning and have found it an interesting debate. I have refrained from putting in my $.02 because I'm just too remote from the general situation back in the old home country. My tendency has been to pretty much fly the edge of the envelope on this one but I think you hit the nail on the head with your closing comments Stro when you said "Just didn't seem like a smart place for us to be at that time." Setting aside all the constitutional rights issues as to ccw, 3 piece patches, etc. etc. ad nausea. You gotta ask yourself, what did you see that your fellow LEO's (the IP's in this case) didn't? As one of our forum posters very appropriately uses as his signature motto 'stupid should hurt.' For me, a HA getting popped - it should happen more often. But those IP's got themselves into a confrontational situation (right's or no right's) and I can't help but get that creepin' feelin' they just showed amazingly poor judgement for guys that are paid to march to a higher standard. Doesn't it worry you they might have just felt a bit arrogant carrying? MM
I agree with your part of your statement about bad judgement because it is the essence of the issue at hand. Bad judgement, bad behavior and played the LEO card when it wasn't working out for them.

What some LEO's do here is try to water the issue down or confuse it with smoke and mirrors. Thats not responsible be cause the higher lesson here is accountability. And you LEO's who feel that tap dancing to incident and damage control will fool everyone, remember you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.

I also agree with twiggy's. In a nut shell we expect more and better judgement from our civil servants. Not to flaunt their empowerment as a weapon. It has nothing to do with everyone likes the HA and nobody likes the LEO's.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right RoadKingRon, I guess I shouldn't have had that last beer before getting carried away with my answer. I admitted I was rambling. Should have watched that punctuation a bit better too.
I didn't think I was being too hard on the HA's, I did imply that some could read. As for knowing when or, having the sense, to backdown. I'll stick by what I said; it's not in their nature.
I'll leave it at this. Besides, the Big Red Machine has a pretty good size chapter here and the last thing I need is them coming after me.
Take care. MM
No harm, No foul...

Ride Safe
Ron