General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Membership - I May have f_*(&#@d up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 PM
freddc1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOG Membership - I May have f_*(&#@d up?

I'm member of local HOG as well as couple other local chapters outside my area - all nice folks, I'm on their trip mailing lists, etc. Yesterday local HD dealer says I only need to belong to National HOG and that entitles me to ride with any local club I want and I'm wasting my money. I dont mind paying to help out the local club(s) I ride with but one just went up to $35 to join. If anyone knows the answer would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HOG Membership - I May have f_*(&#@d up?

I only belong to National HOG but all of the local clubs I know of have their own membership fee. Helps pay for coffee, donuts, whatever. The HOG chapter at Frederick Harley-Davidson has a kick azz party every year that is open to everyone. I guess membership fees help pay for that kind of stuff also.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You must pay local membership dues also. If you are not a member of a local chapter, you have to sign a waiver every time you ride with the chapter.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to HOG guidelines, chapters are required to have so many open and closed rides. Open rides are open to all riders. Closed rides are only for local HOG chapter members. As far as local ride groups, you are better suited to hooking up with folks you gel with whether it be the HOG folks or another ride group.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We belong to the national HOG too plus we also belong to our local motorcycle club. Although I wonder sometimes why we keep renewing our HOG membership. Don't really see a lot of benefit of belong to it (other than being able to attend Rallies). Our local club is not a HOG club but similar. Membership fees ($12 yr per person) are minimal but it pays for small incidentals of running a club. Most of the money raised by the club goes to charity (IE: raffles, organized annual picnics etc, etc) Common interest club more than anything. Keeps us in touch and it's a fun gathering.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I belong to National and my local chapter. I would not join more that one local chapter though. I find it a very rewarding experience and by being a local member you can attend meetings and have a voice in how it is ran.

I've been a HOG member since 86 and a Life Member since 94. I really enjoy it.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

National as well. not a local member

Old 03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
xmeter
Tourer

You have to be a National and Local member to get the 10% discount from our local dealer here in Pa.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Loch
Tourer

ORIGINAL: xmeter

You have to be a National and Local member to get the 10% discount from our local dealer here in Pa.
You only need to have a credit card number to save 20% at the online HD dealers.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
freddc1
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

According to HOG guidelines, chapters are required to have so many open and closed rides. Open rides are open to all riders. Closed rides are only for local HOG chapter members. As far as local ride groups, you are better suited to hooking up with folks you gel with whether it be the HOG folks or another ride group.
You're right, I see some of them list their trips with a little "c" next to them meaning closed, or open only to local members. I also agree with helping them offset the cost of the donuts etc, a lot of work goes into running these clubs. Was just wondering how it all works however.
Thanks

Quick Reply: HOG Membership - I May have f_*(&#@d up?