General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/cons of ethanol in gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haul it , and all our trailers have sealing issues at valves , trailers used exclusivly for ethanol REALLY have leak issues. And this is equiptment designed for it!!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, it's here to stay, like it or hate it.
That's all we get up here. And some is E-85. But you have to have a flex fuel vehicle designed for that.

We didn't wake up one morning, and crawl into an F-16, and fly off into the sunset. It took years to go from a rattling biplane to a jet.
Come on over, kick the pan a few times, and then go back and crawl on your 'new' one. Your's didn't get real 'nice' without some bumps along the way. But it sure is 'nice' now, isn't it?
Technology takes a while.

Alcohol contains less BTU's/gal, and delivers less energy when burned. Thus, the slight decrease in mileage.

I realize the vast majority of ppl on here, are not farm ppl. You see just one end of the line. The rest of the corn, the by product if you will, is still available as feed. It is a mash. And they are continually working and testing to make other products out of it.

We've been running it for years up here. I neither see more or less ppl rebuilding their motors because of it. Been running it in our small engines for years, too. 20 horse WheelHorse(1988), with over 1600 hrs on it, still original carb and fuel pump. My weedeater is over 15 yrs old. Leafblower is over 8. Boat motor is a '78, and I did put carb kits in it when I got it. Had been in storage for years.

As stated, and like DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid, it is hygroscopic. For us up North, means the ethanol will absorb any moisture in the fuel tank, no gas line freeze. When it's -30*, gas line freeze on the road, sux, besides being dangerous to your well being.

If it is drying out your seals, rubbers, etc., then they are constructed of the wrong material. That is why it was a hassle when they started to switch over, decades ago. But almost ALL of my engines have their original seals, hoses, etc.

It's by no means a cure all for our enegy woes. But anything that will prolong the oil we NEED for our v twins, specially old ones, I'll go with it, til something better comes around the corner.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
First of all, it's here to stay, like it or hate it.
That's all we get up here. And some is E-85. But you have to have a flex fuel vehicle designed for that.

We didn't wake up one morning, and crawl into an F-16, and fly off into the sunset. It took years to go from a rattling biplane to a jet.
Come on over, kick the pan a few times, and then go back and crawl on your 'new' one. Your's didn't get real 'nice' without some bumps along the way. But it sure is 'nice' now, isn't it?
Technology takes a while.

Alcohol contains less BTU's/gal, and delivers less energy when burned. Thus, the slight decrease in mileage.

I realize the vast majority of ppl on here, are not farm ppl. You see just one end of the line. The rest of the corn, the by product if you will, is still available as feed. It is a mash. And they are continually working and testing to make other products out of it.

We've been running it for years up here. I neither see more or less ppl rebuilding their motors because of it. Been running it in our small engines for years, too. 20 horse WheelHorse(1988), with over 1600 hrs on it, still original carb and fuel pump. My weedeater is over 15 yrs old. Leafblower is over 8. Boat motor is a '78, and I did put carb kits in it when I got it. Had been in storage for years.

As stated, and like DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid, it is hygroscopic. For us up North, means the ethanol will absorb any moisture in the fuel tank, no gas line freeze. When it's -30*, gas line freeze on the road, sux, besides being dangerous to your well being.

If it is drying out your seals, rubbers, etc., then they are constructed of the wrong material. That is why it was a hassle when they started to switch over, decades ago. But almost ALL of my engines have their original seals, hoses, etc.

It's by no means a cure all for our enegy woes. But anything that will prolong the oil we NEED for our v twins, specially old ones, I'll go with it, til something better comes around the corner.
First, just because your pan runs on pure alcohol and has a roots type supercharger doesn't mean it works so well for the rest of us.

OK, Gumby, laugh out loud, but we have a new Impala that says FlexFuel right on the trunk. I was swapping small block Chevys into older and newer cars clear back in high school and consider myself a pretty good basic mechanic but I have NO IDEA what FLEXFUEL means.

My wife liked the car and it followed us home. I've never even bothered to Google FLEXFUEL. I have some kind of aversion to anything promoted by libs. Once I learn what it is, I usually decide it makes no common sense. Not saying that's true of FLEXFUEL.

I don't think alcohol is the answer to our energy problems when compared to other options out there such as natural gas, etc.

BTW, have a great weekend. I'm sayin a prayer for those near Hanna.

JB

Last edited by JBaker421; 09-05-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Liberalism always seems to wind up creating something completely opposite of its stated intent.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought alchohol was fer drinkin not burnin!! It is a scam but better than no fuel I guess.Did u hear coldest winter in quite a while predicted???GLOBAL WARMING fans bundle up!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything that decreases my range is not a good thing. There's places out here where it's further between towns than it is between states back east.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the price increase of corn due to ethanol production has caused some ethanol plants to close. the price of corn has made the ethanol more costly. luckily i can still get non-ethanol products in alabama. misssouri went mandatory ethanol a couple of years ago but is looking at dropping that requirement due to mileage degradation.