General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Jim, I can't help it if folks make certain connections. I certainly never said anything about getting out of traffic tickets (I haven't been pulled over in 20 years, FWIW). Law allows me to carry, my family expects me to carry, I prefer to carry because I want to go home each night. I point it out only because so many people in these threads seem to insist that for me to carry off duty is illegal or somehow irresponsible, be it in a bar or wherever. It's legal, it's responsible, and I'm very capable with it. And if any of you want to be able to do it too, I can send you an application. We're always looking for good officers.
About that, this is one of the things that brings some disrespect for LEOs around here. Every department has an official policy - no tickets for LEOs or their family members. Excuse? They have to work together and they don't want any animosity among LEOs. So, even if you're the wife or child of a sheriff's deputy and a city cop pulls you over, you skate.

Everyone I know is aware of this and it burns.

They also won't write a LEO's ex or a LEO's spouse's ex. They don't want to be accused of harassment. Dunno about that one. ?

Just sayin... No disrespect to the good LEOs here intended or implied.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call me crazy Gump, but I'm pretty sure he has the same right to play biker as you or I do.
And alas he was getting his azz handed to him...

Law allows me to carry, my family expects me to carry, I prefer to carry because I want to go home each night. I point it out only because so many people in these threads seem to insist that for me to carry off duty is illegal or somehow irresponsible

Not in all instances...you may want to read HR 218 one more time...The resolution does not overule state law.

Typical LEO attitude coming out in ya now.....

FACTS:
IP goes into bar wearing colors....Stupid...the unwritten law regarding 3 piece patches. Joe Blow can wear a 3 piece into a bar if he wants to but he will have to pay the price. The IP website says they will wear 3 piece because they can.

IMO deliberate provocation...

IP is CCW in state with no reciprocal agreement..Illegal

IP is drinking and at or above the legal limit of 0.08

IP has blatant disregard for rules, written or unwritten and has been disciplined no
less than three times by his own department.

It's time to get rid of this clown......

Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Jim...some of the attitudes displayed in here, from a cop's perspective, are exactly what fosters the "us versus them" bull****. Why would any cop want to even be a part of a group like this? I've seen a bunch come and go.

I personally have many more "civilian" friends than cop friends, but I'm not too sure that's normal. Every time I turn around there's a bunch of new guys in here that need to flex their muscles and tell everyone how tough they are and how bad the cops are. Let me share something with ya...EVERYONE has a bad cop story or two. SO DO I. But bad cops are NOT the norm.

Just yesterday, in 2 separate incidents, I arrested black females. In both cases I went out of my way to be courteous and accomodating. In both cases I was called a racist.

Maybe it's just easier for us to hang out with others in the "club". I choose to venture outside once in a while, hope you don't mind.

Tut, OPD response to the mall shooting wasn't great, but it wouldn't have mattered. The shooter was already dead. Do you know how rare it is for police to get to an active shooter situation in time to intervene? EXTREMELY.

And to all you experts, I'll continue to "pack", whether I happen to wander into a bar with my friends or not. I'll be the guy drinking diet Pepsi, but I WILL be CCW.

Man, Diet Pepsi sucks. You really should try Diet Dr. Pepper.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
Actually my concern is whether these guys are playing 1%er, not biker. There's a huge difference.

We can agree on something!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Man, Diet Pepsi sucks. You really should try Diet Dr. Pepper.
No kiddin. See my sig line.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a "Canadian" I am confused about the 'No Colors" rules that seem to get imposed after any rider confrontation. I constantly see reports of sports fans getting into fights, here and the US but never see any banning of wearing team support colors, even the outright rioting over soccer games in Europe and South America does not cause banning of support clothing. If there was a HOG member involved in a shooting would this lead to banning of HOG wear?

Seems riders are an easy target for what in some cases in outright harrassment

Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a member of a motorcycle club in the UK and it was made quite clear to us by the local 1% that we could not wear a backpatch in their territory without their permission.
We decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and decided we would cease.
We have a few members in the US who wear the same patch with no problems.

What a load of childish nonsense.
Especially the idea that LEO should not wear colours because it could be provocative.
I can think of lots of reasons for LEO's not to wear colours but the prospect of upsetting 1% wouldn't be among them.
By all means have your own rules in a club.
Just don't try to apply them to me.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
About that, this is one of the things that brings some disrespect for LEOs around here. Every department has an official policy - no tickets for LEOs or their family members. Excuse? They have to work together and they don't want any animosity among LEOs. So, even if you're the wife or child of a sheriff's deputy and a city cop pulls you over, you skate.

Everyone I know is aware of this and it burns.

They also won't write a LEO's ex or a LEO's spouse's ex. They don't want to be accused of harassment. Dunno about that one. ?

Just sayin... No disrespect to the good LEOs here intended or implied.
I dare you to find an official "policy" that says "no tickets to LEO's". That is a personal decision for the officer who has what we call "discretion"; Per Wbsters;

1: the quality of being discreet : circumspection; especially : cautious reserve in speech
2: ability to make responsible decisions
3 a: individual choice or judgment <left the decision to his discretion> b: power of free decision or latitude of choice within certain legal bounds <reached the age of discretion>
4: the result of separating or distinguishing.

There are cops who write other cops. Around here, a handful of FHP Troopers are notorious for it. I don't write tickets to cops. Never have. I have written warnings, but never a ticket. Guess who else I have never (Knowingly) written a ticket to. Firefighters/EMT's, Nurses, and Military. I don't have time to explain why.

In fact, when I worked patrol, I wrote a ticket on 1 out of 5 traffic stops. The others got written or verbal warnings. So while I may not write tickets to cops, I also dont write tickets to MOST citizens.

Dude, I'm sorry that bothers you. Marry a cop or go to the academy.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bfreesun
I'm a member of a motorcycle club in the UK and it was made quite clear to us by the local 1% that we could not wear a backpatch in their territory without their permission.
We decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and decided we would cease.
We have a few members in the US who wear the same patch with no problems.

What a load of childish nonsense.
Especially the idea that LEO should not wear colours because it could be provocative.
I can think of lots of reasons for LEO's not to wear colours but the prospect of upsetting 1% wouldn't be among them.
By all means have your own rules in a club.
Just don't try to apply them to me.

Make up your mind...did you or didn't you. You say it wasn't worth the aggravation then you say it doesn't apply to you????

No one says you can't wear colors. You can do whatever you want as long as you have the nads to back it up. By wearing the 3 piece you are asking for trouble, that's all....

Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

You'll see no official written policy on not writing a ticket unlss the spped is more than 7 above the limit either but few tickets are written for theat. I used to be LEo myself and have often been approacehd by a fellow officer to ' Give a little Help" to the friend of a LEO for a ticket I had written. My stabdard response was that If I wrote the ticket , he desserved it and If I dropped the ticket, I wasn't being fair to those whose tickets I didn't drop. It got so bad in our department the city administrator finally put out a memo that siad anyone requesting "Help" with a ticket for someone else would be charged for obstruction of justice. The blue crew take care of their own and are their own best friends and worst enemies.

My feeling is if the cop went into the bar and proceeded to drink and carry, he was bad wrong, just as if he had climbed into his car and drove off. But there is a certain mentality of I don't have to follow the rules among LEO's, like it or not. And the public notices if and when you are speeding, like that or not. And before yo ask, I didn't get fired, I took a job in another field at almost twice the LEO pay.

Bubba

Bubba

Quick Reply: More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"