General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laz263
Speak for yourself. When I saw the photos from Abu Grahib I took them for what they were--representations of an incompetent few, not a broad-brushing of the entire Armed Forces. Only a gullible fool would have assumed the latter.
Well I'm glad you were more in-tune to those realities than some. Unfortunatley, this world has more "gullible fools" than you might think. Keep in mind that I was staioned overseas at the time those photos surfaced. And now that I'm back in the states, I might not see "yankee go home" spray-painted on every wall in town, but I still feel the heat sometimes. I wasn't saying it was right for civillians to jump to conclusions and judge, I'm just saying we should be more concerned about conducting bussiness the right way, and less about how much egg is left on our faces when the media gets ahold of our short comings.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
Well I'm glad you were more in-tune to those realities than some. Unfortunatley, this world has more "gullible fools" than you might think. Keep in mind that I was staioned overseas at the time those photos surfaced. And now that I'm back in the states, I might not see "yankee go home" spray-painted on every wall in town, but I still feel the heat sometimes. I wasn't saying it was right for civillians to jump to conclusions and judge, I'm just saying we should be more concerned about conducting bussiness the right way, and less about how much egg is left on our faces when the media gets ahold of our short comings.
If leadership by example is what you're espousing, then I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for your service, by the way.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brenn
And just like cops, a lot of people think soldiers should be mini-van driving boy scouts when not out fighting wars. Mini-van driving boy scouts aren't that useful for fighting wars or fighting criminals, so maybe a realistic perspective would be nice for a change.
There is big difference between fighting wars/criminals... and getting drunk three states away from your juristiction. "Realistc perspective" eh???

By the way, AS A MILITARY MEMBER, my original post was to (and only to) Cops on this forum. If you are neither, than understand my point was that we OWE YOU better than what you are getting.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

if leadership by example is what you're espousing, then i couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for your service, by the way.
bingo!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Originally Posted by donr101395
That's a class act. A man comes to apologize and you tell him off. I can't imagine why he has issues with you. If my kids ever did that they would be picking themselves up and offering an apology of their own.
Yup. The whole time I was growing up, my Dad used to use the example of the 20 year Army Private who never took **** off anyone. Sounds alot like this kid.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
There is big difference between fighting wars/criminals... and getting drunk three states away from your juristiction. "Realistc perspective" eh???

By the way, AS A MILITARY MEMBER, my original post was to (and only to) Cops on this forum. If you are neither, than understand my point was that we OWE YOU better than what you are getting.
The point was about the kind of people who do or do not do the job and, given that most cops are former military, they're pretty similar people. As for your post, it was made publicly to everybody on this forum unless you know some secret password the rest don't.

I'm a former cop who currently trains/advises/defends cops for a law enforcement agency and a former active duty soldier who currently trains soldiers as a reserve drill sergeant. I don't think either one turns out to be worth a damn when they start with the kind of a sissy that's afraid to have a beer and get in a fight now and then, although both jobs are drifting more and more that way.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
PITA
Cruiser

[QUOTE=laz263;3831528]You make some good points, John, and I can't say I disagree with you that LEOs actually need to be held to a higher standard. If you read the history of this thread and the other one that dealt with the IPMC/HA incident, you'll see I was probably the first LEO to state for the record that the IPMC was displaying poor judgement, both in trying to emulate a 1% club and in going to a known HA hangout and consuming alcohol while armed in that hangout.
/QUOTE]

Well said.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brenn
The point was about the kind of people who do or do not do the job and, given that most cops are former military, they're pretty similar people. As for your post, it was made publicly to everybody on this forum unless you know some secret password the rest don't.

I'm a former cop who currently trains/advises/defends cops for a law enforcement agency and a former active duty soldier who currently trains soldiers as a reserve drill sergeant. I don't think either one turns out to be worth a damn when they start with the kind of a sissy that's afraid to have a beer and get in a fight now and then, although both jobs are drifting more and more that way.
I actually agree with you on the don't be a sissy thing, LOL. I'm just saying, do it smart. Don't get in a bar fight, shoot someone, and THEN wanna use being a cop as a crutch...now that is being a sissy. Truth be told, my only real point is that we need to watch our steps, and stop blaming others, you know, like sissies would do.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Former military here...5 years U.S. Army. I NEVER thought that the Abu Ghriab pics were a reflection on the military as a whole. As for earning respect, I do my job each day to the best of my abilities. I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter what I do, there are lots of folks who won't ever respect me just because of the uniform I wear. So be it. I could be nicey nice and kiss every *** in the world but that wouldn't garner respect either, you'd just think I was a *****. So I go out each day and do my job, I try to be safe and respectful at the same time (not always possible), and I look forward to coming home each night. I don't need everyone to love me, but I hope most people don't hate me.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

You make some good points, John, and I can't say I disagree with you that LEOs actually need to be held to a higher standard. If you read the history of this thread and the other one that dealt with the IPMC/HA incident, you'll see I was probably the first LEO to state for the record that the IPMC was displaying poor judgement, both in trying to emulate a 1% club and in going to a known HA hangout and consuming alcohol while armed in that hangout.

Hopefully you didn't take any of it personal. BTW, I see you're from ET--anywhere around Johnson City?
Nuttin personal taken...nuttin personal meant...I just tend to speak out loudly on issues I feel strongly about. I respect the fact that ya called the IP's out for what they are...while some others felt the need to defend them no matter what. I probably did a poor job of expressin it, but that's what I meant 'bout generatin contempt for cops among some folks. It's kinda like some blacks supportin blacks just 'cause they're black...or some women supportin women just 'cause they're women...or HA's supportin HA's just 'cause they're HA's. Some cops will defend other cops just 'cause they're cops...and I think that does more harm to the LEO/citizen relationship than most anything else. If it's the perception of the public that LEO's get an automatic pass on some infractions, then folks start wonderin what else goes on behind the scenes. Ain't sayin cops gotta be perfect...just apply that "discretion" legally and fair...and the majority of LEO's I've run across HAVE been fair with me. Hell, last time I was pulled for speedin...MANY years ago...I was headed to Panama City on my birthday...in the middle of nowhere, on a wide open fourlane, with not 'nuther soul in sight for miles. The officer took my license back to the cruiser, came back and handed me my license, and just told me to be careful and slow it down a little. He was very polite...and mighta been takin the conditions into consideration...but, I still think he cut me some slack 'cause he saw from my license that it was my birthday. I just rolled on down the highway singin Happy Birthday to myself...albeit, at a slower pace. LOL

Oh yeah...from East TN, but more towards Chattanooga than Johnson City. You from up 'round there?

Quick Reply: More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"