General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Oh yeah...one more thing. I put up with a lot of crap in my job, but I don't consider chitty pay to be on the list. I may not be getting rich, but I earn a fair wage and have decent benefits. You won't hear me bitching about it.
I'd just like to add that for some people a job is not about the conditions or the pay but what you do. Most civil service jobs are noble and highly respected.

I still think this guy drew unneeded attention on himself. I learned when I served there are some places you don't go waving a flag unless you want trouble.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bfreesun
The pic with the baby is up there. It's just slow to load.

Or at least it was this morning.
Thank you, Sir. It was done out of respect for his family. I'd do the same for ANYBODY on here as long as I had access.
Again, Thanx, and 'Be Free, Son'

Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Slaps
Road Master

Originally Posted by laz263
My starting pay as a street officer in 1986 was $14,250.00. I look back now and wonder how the hell I paid my bills.
Sheesh that looks like what I made 7 years ago my first year in the AF. Though that did not include special pay.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm outta here for a while, hafta set more tile on this never ending patio project mama gave me. I THOUGHT I was almost done, now she's talking outdoor fireplace. Cripes!! I seem to work harder on my days off at home than I do when I'm at work!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
captain m
Road Master

I sitting here reading this stuff thinking"why can't we all just get along?" (corny phrase,but I'll use it anyway) I think that we,as bikers are all 1%'s....Of the population.
We need to get along with on another even though we are from different clubs,jobs,whatever.We are a minority.we really have no say if big brother were to say,"ok, that's it,everybody on a bike will wear a full-face helmit and have quiet pipes installed by Jan.09 or they will not be allowed on the road" This is highly unlikely,but you know what,it's already started in some states.(pipes)
I'm not saying that you should run right out and hug your local cop,1%er, etc.What I'm tring to say is that ,if we don't straighten our azzes out soon,big brother is likely to step in with more rules to follow,and we got more than enough now!!!! Or maybe I'm too old to be thinking like this!!!!!.........Just lookin' to ride without the bs...It's too bad that the actions of one has to have such an effect on the reputations of others.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Jimbo60
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Jim, I'm not a LEO but I'll be drinking the pepsi and packing. As is your right. I assume that it is also legal in your state? Additionally I expect you have the necessary judgement to do so.

Can you understand that LEOs, just by going to work, make a lot of enemies who are bad guys? I had no idea They are on the line out in the open and I support them packing for two big reasons.

1. As said above, they have bad-guy enemies just by doing their job. They couldn't safely take their family to the mall without some protection.A little overly dramatic, a valid point nonetheless

2. If something bad goes down most of them would come back "on duty" in a heartbeat and they are trained to get the job done.Kinda part o' the job.

Some depts. require off-duties to carry. I thought it was all of them not some of them

I have met more than my share of bad cops, but I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't apply to most of them. I think they get somewhat hardened by their jobs, but who wouldn't?Valid point but it still doesn't get them a pass.

Just as with bikers, ya just can't lump them all into the same box.True dat.

$.02.

JB
LEOs do a job. Nothing more, nothing less. Like any other career field, some of them are better at it than others. Some of them are 'bad apples' many of them aren't.

I'm not going to accept overly aggressive 'in your face' attitude from any one. Especially someone trusted with the public's safety. Nor am I going to accept 'the stress of the job' as an excuse for acting the fool.

$0.01

......................... Jim

EDIT: BTW No, I'm not really fond of LE. Then again, I don't like the IRS, local Code Enforcement, the Town Council, public school administrators, etc.....

Last edited by Jimbo60; 09-05-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts

This horse is dead. Peace to all and everyone have a safe weekend.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Booze, guns, colors, not a good mix.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know what bugs me about the attitudes is this.

It is all painted like the cops are up and up.

Well, I gotta tell ya, I have worked EMS for quite a while, and while I work in a hospital now, I still have contacts on that side. That includes quite a few boys in blue.
These guys (who I ride with in their town) are some of the hard drinkin'est, crazy riden'ist mo'fo's I have seen.
Sometimes I ask them to slo the f down as I am not comfortable with the speeds they drive after we have been tipping a few. I drink beer, these guys typically drink Jack (and alot).

Their response, "we got the brass pass bro!"

Not to mention the fact that I have been pulled over with them and they pull the "how about a bit of professional courtesy?" line. Which worked right away.
This sux because I am usually the last in line as I am not big on hauling *** down the city streets, especially when I am walking the fine line of a DUI. And tho I am with them, if I am last in line, they won't be there when I get pulled over. Devil take the hindmost and all of that shiz.

And I have been told that when they run your plate prior to the stop, they know if you are LEO, or family of.
Ain't that some ****.

In addition, when I was in the fire acadamy, we went to school next to the police academy. Sounded like friggin boot camp over there. IMO we need marines (and that mindset) to go against the enemy, not against citizens.
I never could understand the oo-rah mentality in prepping the cops.
Anybody care to explain

Now this isn't to say that I haven't brought officers a soda, or a snack since they can't leave the bedside of patients in custody that are sometimes in my care.
The trade? don't forget to recognize me on the road, right officer?

Not fair, but still just the way it is.

My take,

stay the f out of the way of the wrecking ball. If you don't find yourself in their sights, they won't find a way to f with you.

Last edited by SloChicken; 09-05-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM
celticgent
Road Master

i have no stake in ANY of this.

i'm not 1% or LE.

i just STILL can't figure out why any LE would use a 3 piece patch.

it's not like they can claim ignorance.

they KNOW that the outlaw biker clubs use this to signify the lifestyle.

yet they adopt the UNIFORM of these clubs?

for WHAT, exactly?

sure, ride a motorcycle, join a group, do what you like...

BUT...

WHY OH WHY would you BLATANTLY wear the uniform of OUTLAWS?

there are other ways to signify that you're in a club besides using a large back patch with rockers above and below, showing location.

Riding Clubs know this and most of them make patches accordingly...they know that outlaw clubs use the 3 piece, so they choose a different look.

so WHY would LE use a 3 piece, UNLESS they were doing it as an affront or to mimic the outlaws?

that's what I can't wrap my head around.

Quick Reply: More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"