General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
RoadKingRon, if you think my "typical LEO attitude" is just now coming out, well, you haven't been paying attention. I think YOUR interpretation of federal law is wrong, we shall see I guess, I'm hopeful it will be cleared up soon enough. Most importantly though, he wasn't necessarily "getting his azz handed to him". He was, I suspect, jumped from behind when he was away from his friends. Yeah, THAT took a lot of courage. Seems to me the HA bit off more than HE could chew.

Not my interpretation....came straight from the LEO boards as recently explained to them...

You suspect he was jumped from behind??? What about this perjury charge? Sure that was what was told to the DA but.....

Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
I dare you to find an official "policy" that says "no tickets to LEO's". That is a personal decision for the officer who has what we call "discretion"; Per Wbsters;

1: the quality of being discreet : circumspection; especially : cautious reserve in speech
2: ability to make responsible decisions
3 a: individual choice or judgment <left the decision to his discretion> b: power of free decision or latitude of choice within certain legal bounds <reached the age of discretion>
4: the result of separating or distinguishing.

There are cops who write other cops. Around here, a handful of FHP Troopers are notorious for it. I don't write tickets to cops. Never have. I have written warnings, but never a ticket. Guess who else I have never (Knowingly) written a ticket to. Firefighters/EMT's, Nurses, and Military. I don't have time to explain why.

In fact, when I worked patrol, I wrote a ticket on 1 out of 5 traffic stops. The others got written or verbal warnings. So while I may not write tickets to cops, I also dont write tickets to MOST citizens.

Dude, I'm sorry that bothers you. Marry a cop or go to the academy.
Dude(guess term is interchangeable here), I'm sorry that the fact that one of your own, used 'discretion', and it is causing a little heated discussion, and bothering you. Marry a 1%er or prospect.

Wow, I believe this is the attitude that JBake is focused on, but I too, have been wrong B4.

What I find really amusing, the thread about the Mongol, shooting 'Papa' in Frisco. 1265 hits, 20 posts. Guess no one cares 'bout that.
I posted a pic of 'Papa'. It is a X. ??????? Admin or HAs decision? Jus' aksin'.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Make up your mind...did you or didn't you. You say it wasn't worth the aggravation then you say it doesn't apply to you????

No one says you can't wear colors. You can do whatever you want as long as you have the nads to back it up. By wearing the 3 piece you are asking for trouble, that's all....
I can do what I like as long as I'm prepared to have the **** kicked out of me by some knuckle head?

Some choice.

We decided as reasonable adults that getting onto a gang war with a group who had threatened us was not what we were about
We like to ride bikes not fight.
Besides I'm 60 with a heart condition and don't think these kind of things are what define manliness.

That doesn't make it right for the 1%ers to threaten us

Born to be mild.

BTW it wasn't a 3 piece, it was a one piece circular patch which 1% in California have no problem with

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
During my career in local law enforcement, I never wrote a cop. It was a matter of personal discretion, not a departmental policy. But here's how I saw it: If that was the one perk we got for putting up with the sh!tty pay, ridiculous hours, violent thugs, bloodborne pathogens, abusive behavior, and dangerous situations we faced nearly every day, then so be it.

I've since moved over to the fed side, but I still don't begrudge an officer cutting a fellow officer a break for a minor traffic offense. If that makes me a dick, oh well.
Just a though, but if someone doesn't like the "sh!tty pay, ridiculous hours, violent thugs, bloodborne pathogens, abusive behavior, and dangerous situations", maybe instead of complaining they should consider a different profession, as no one is forcing them to stay in line of work with all those negative aspects.

Enforcement of various laws should not just apply to the general public, and "perks", selective enforcement, or whatever you want to call it are one of the reasons why some LEO's feel they are exempt from some laws that only apply to others.

But it happens, people know it, just the way things are out there in the real world.

Just my opinion..

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Sorry "dude"...but that is the very attitude some here are tryin to hit on. Ya can't jump up and **** 'n moan how an exclusive 1%'er club can't set down unspoken rules and try to apply 'em to everyone else...and then jump in here and do the 'zact same thing...i.e. "wanna get outta a ticket, be a cop"...what a crock! Some of ya's wanna know why some have such contempt for cops...here's yer prime example right here with rdam's statement...a statement that I'd dare say wouldn't set well with a lotta citizens. I'm not a cop hater, but I have the utmost contempt for any cop that thinks they're outside the law to any degree whatsoever. Sure, I would have equal contempt for any 1%'er that inflicted harm on any innocents...but the BIG diff is...I don't have to live under any 1%'er's authority unless I choose to do so...I live under the authority of the police everyday. If you can't see the diff, rdam...I don't have time to explain it either. Such arrogance from cops will almost always generate animosity from the citizens they are sworn to protect and serve.

And, to answer laz, yeah I think that's an attitude unbecomin an officer. Hey, I worked some damned dangerous conditions in the petro-chem construction industry so you can fill yer car/bike/truck with gasoline...but it don't get me free gas. Go ahead and use that excuse/crutch all ya want...it's still a crock 'o chit! Just 'cause some crackhead gave you or a bud a hard time...means ya get a free pass? So, a cop gets a pass on a "minor" traffic violation? Sure, sounds innocent enuf...but often enuf, the only diff 'tween a "minor" violation and a fatal wreck is just dumb-luck timing. Again, an arrogant attitude by someone sworn to uphold the LAW!

I tried to stay outta this, but this chit just keeps gettin richer all the time!
You make some good points John. There are a lot of dangerous jobs out there, sounds like you had one. But did the gas ever TRY to hurt you? Most of us have been attacked a few times, we tend to be careful.

FWIW, I HAVE arrested cops and have ticketed cops in the past, though I don't make a habit of it. The most recent incident was a child abuse charge. Guy worked close by too. He understood that I was doing what I had to do. One of my co-workers almost routinely arrests cops for DWI. He has NO mercy. Nor is he a very popular feller among officers from surrounding agencies. He knows it and he knows he'll never get a break from them either, so he very carefully walks the line.

John, I don't know I single cop who can say he never speeds, never fails to signal a turn, etc... But most that I know TRY to do well. I don't know a single one who would ever speed just because he can get away with it. And most cops write many more warnings than tickets. Not me though. See, I've been at it for a while. I figure if you do something bad enough for ME to stop ya, you're getting a ticket...LOL.

Last edited by stro1965; 09-05-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Dude(guess term is interchangeable here), I'm sorry that the fact that one of your own, used 'discretion', and it is causing a little heated discussion, and bothering you. Marry a 1%er or prospect.

Wow, I believe this is the attitude that JBake is focused on, but I too, have been wrong B4.

What I find really amusing, the thread about the Mongol, shooting 'Papa' in Frisco. 1265 hits, 20 posts. Guess no one cares 'bout that.
I posted a pic of 'Papa'. It is a X. ??????? Admin or HAs decision? Jus' aksin'.
The pic with the baby is up there. It's just slow to load.

Or at least it was this morning.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh yeah...one more thing. I put up with a lot of crap in my job, but I don't consider chitty pay to be on the list. I may not be getting rich, but I earn a fair wage and have decent benefits. You won't hear me bitching about it.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Just a though, but if someone doesn't like the "sh!tty pay, ridiculous hours, violent thugs, bloodborne pathogens, abusive behavior, and dangerous situations", maybe instead of complaining they should consider a different profession, as no one is forcing them to stay in line of work with all those negative aspects.

Enforcement of various laws should not just apply to the general public, and "perks", selective enforcement, or whatever you want to call it are one of the reasons why some LEO's feel they are exempt from some laws that only apply to others.

But it happens, people know it, just the way things are out there in the real world.

Just my opinion..

Just keeping it real, guys. Everyone's trying to be honest about how they feel, so that's my two cents worth. And FWIW, I gave WAY more breaks to non-LEOs than I ever did to fellow cops. Like most of the cops in my department, I detested working traffic. You had to be a supreme ******** for me to write you a ticket. It wasn't worth the hassle, the court time, the paper, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Oh yeah...one more thing. I put up with a lot of crap in my job, but I don't consider chitty pay to be on the list. I may not be getting rich, but I earn a fair wage and have decent benefits. You won't hear me bitching about it.

My starting pay as a street officer in 1986 was $14,250.00. I look back now and wonder how the hell I paid my bills.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by laz263
My starting pay as a street officer in 1986 was $14,250.00. I look back now and wonder how the hell I paid my bills.
I don't doubt that. I started in 1989 at a whopping $8.70 per hour. It's improved considerably since then!!

Quick Reply: More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"