General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Thru Time...Its official?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Thru Time...Its official?

Anybody that has never been to the "Wheels Thru Time" Museum in Maggie Valley NC has untill Nov. 30th to make it out there. The place is simply AMAZING!
There has been talk, rumors, speculation about when/if they are closing shop. I called them this morning and was told that Nov 30 will be their last day. No official site has been chosen but they are looking at places in Arizona to re-locate.
Hmmmmm....meet & greet in Maggie Valley early Nov??

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just HATE that they are closing! We went there about 2 or 3 years ago and we were just AWESTRUCK at the vast amount of bikes that they had ranging from the very beginnings. And it's just not haphazardly thrown in there either, every space has a themed area that looks just like the time period and artifacts from that period along with the bikes. My mouth stayed open in awe the whole time I was there. We were going to try to get there again on our last visit to the mountains in July but didn't make it. I don't think we can get back there again though and I hate that we can't.

Maggie Valley will be losing something very special and the motorcycle community will as well. I'm just wondering WHY they are moving. Especially since they don't even know where they are going. It's a very popular place so I don't think that's the reason. Anybody know?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
barnyard
Ultimate HDF Member

They are going to have a police bike display in late September. We're going back down to see that. Hate to see it leave this time zone.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

The place IS outstandin! Rhonda's right...ya just can't imagine all the stuff they have. What I liked almost as much as the collection of bikes, was all the stuff folks stuck bike engines in over the years. As to WHY they're moving...the owners told us they didn't get much support from the locals. I've read some things over the past year or so that reads like Maggie is coppin a similar attitude towards bikers as Myrtle Beach...dunno first hand...but definitely sounded like there was some friction 'tween the museum and local citizens/businesses. As to WHERE they're movin...they told us they were moving to Prescott, AZ. Sure hope I win that Knuckle they're rafflin off in November.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I just HATE that they are closing! We went there about 2 or 3 years ago and we were just AWESTRUCK at the vast amount of bikes that they had ranging from the very beginnings. And it's just not haphazardly thrown in there either, every space has a themed area that looks just like the time period and artifacts from that period along with the bikes. My mouth stayed open in awe the whole time I was there. We were going to try to get there again on our last visit to the mountains in July but didn't make it. I don't think we can get back there again though and I hate that we can't.

Maggie Valley will be losing something very special and the motorcycle community will as well. I'm just wondering WHY they are moving. Especially since they don't even know where they are going. It's a very popular place so I don't think that's the reason. Anybody know?

I was in Maggie Valley in May. & stayed at the Abbey Inn (really nice folks run the place) They are friends with the owner of the Museum. As I was told, he felt that for all the business he drew to the area, there was little or no support from the area government. They have a tourism budget and simply wanted a piece of the promotion pie.
Also Dale is an avid rider and can enjoy the climate the Southwest has.

http://www.maggievalleyinn.com/html/2008_guests.html

If you click on this link, then click on "guests" (on the right side) the first photo in there for 2008 is of me whan I was there back in May.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
The place IS outstandin! Rhonda's right...ya just can't imagine all the stuff they have. What I liked almost as much as the collection of bikes, was all the stuff folks stuck bike engines in over the years. As to WHY they're moving...the owners told us they didn't get much support from the locals. I've read some things over the past year or so that reads like Maggie is coppin a similar attitude towards bikers as Myrtle Beach...dunno first hand...but definitely sounded like there was some friction 'tween the museum and local citizens/businesses. As to WHERE they're movin...they told us they were moving to Prescott, AZ. Sure hope I win that Knuckle they're rafflin off in November.
Not True....Maggie Valley (the business owners at least) are VERY Biker Friendly! Signs everwhere promoting this. Many signs said " Harley Riders Welcome" as opposed to "bikers welcome" guess they don't have to worry as much about being PC as they do down in Myrtle!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

was there in May sat on the porch with the owner and his beloved dog, I think her name is Saddie. He said they were moving this year but didn't have a place to move to yet.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ae4782tt
Not True....Maggie Valley (the business owners at least) are VERY Biker Friendly! Signs everwhere promoting this. Many signs said " Harley Riders Welcome" as opposed to "bikers welcome" guess they don't have to worry as much about being PC as they do down in Myrtle!
Well, I DID say "Maggie" seemed to be coppin an attitude...and that encompasses more than just the business owners. I'm just repeatin what the owner of the museum (Dale) told me...along with some stuff I've read. I was treated very well by the obviously biker-friendly motel I stayed in...Applecover Inn...and I'm sure there are plenty of other businesses there that welcome bikers...just as there are in MB...but, as seen with MB, that doesn't necessarily make the whole place biker friendly. The stuff I've read was more than just a few "Welcome" signs, and indicated that the local gov, private citizens, and a good share of the businesses want to cut down on bikers, and attract more "traditional" tourists. Dale and his son told me ya could go in a great many businesses in town...includin a motel a half block away...and they either couldn't, or wouldn't, tell ya where the museum was located. So, either they're not all that biker friendly...or have some kinda beef with the museum. I'm thinkin they're either not givin him enuf credit for the amount of business the museum draws to the area...or maybe he's tryin to claim too much credit...who knows? All I know is there's gotta be some mighty bad blood 'tween 'em for him to wanna go thru the expense and trouble of movin all that stuff. I just hope I don't have to go to AZ to pick up my Knuckle. hehe

Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I was told by 'people' at the 'wheels through time' that Maggie Valley puts up
a good front..because they know bikers pass through and spend money.....but the
town counsel doesn't reall want the bikers.....just the money.
I heard the Maggie code enforcement folks are heavy handed to the museam.......thinking that if the museam goes away.......maybe bikers will just pass'through......and not stay.
I understand Maggie Valley wanting to stay a small town. I have been there twice
and loved the area.
The museam is awesome though.....even my G/F (who is not a motorhead) liked it.
I hope they do well in Arizona.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ae4782tt
I was in Maggie Valley in May. & stayed at the Abbey Inn (really nice folks run the place) They are friends with the owner of the Museum. As I was told, he felt that for all the business he drew to the area, there was little or no support from the area government. They have a tourism budget and simply wanted a piece of the promotion pie.
Also Dale is an avid rider and can enjoy the climate the Southwest has.

http://www.maggievalleyinn.com/html/2008_guests.html

If you click on this link, then click on "guests" (on the right side) the first photo in there for 2008 is of me whan I was there back in May.
Which one? Bottom far right or top far right?

Quick Reply: Wheels Thru Time...Its official?