General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Vin# on a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Running Vin# on a bike?

Will a Harley dealer run a vin# for someone? For maintence records, ect.
What about finding out about who a bike is registered to or if it stolen?
I am looking to buy a bike?
I don't think carfax does bikes.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK-NJ
Will a Harley dealer run a vin# for someone? For maintence records, ect.
What about finding out about who a bike is registered to or if it stolen?
I am looking to buy a bike?
I don't think carfax does bikes.
I called Harley direct in Milwaukee and they ran the vin # for me ,all they said they were allowed to tell me (privacy act)is what dealership the bike came from and if it had any recalls.But remember there are different ways you can ask a question they ended up giving me a little more info. in a round about way

Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to your local police station...they'll run a VIN for you for free (at least around here they will).

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
scottmichael
Intermediate

All a dealer can tell is which dealer the bike originated from, who the original purchaser was, when the SWR (Sales Warranty Registration) was filed, when the warranty expires, what accessories were originally installed on the bike at it's first delivery, and any recalls. If the bike had been in their service department, they can pull the history, but not if it had been anywhere else. This has nothing to do with privacy, but merely this is all the dealer system has the capability to do.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scottmichael
All a dealer can tell is which dealer the bike originated from, who the original purchaser was, when the SWR (Sales Warranty Registration) was filed, when the warranty expires, what accessories were originally installed on the bike at it's first delivery, and any recalls. If the bike had been in their service department, they can pull the history, but not if it had been anywhere else. This has nothing to do with privacy, but merely this is all the dealer system has the capability to do.
you are probably right but the girl did use the privacy act when I started asking some questions

Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scottmichael
you are probably right , but the girl did use the privacy act when I started asking some questions she told me that the bike I was looking at had some warranty work done on it but she said she was not allowed to tell me what the warranty work was .

Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
scottmichael
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turn8a
you are probably right , but the girl did use the privacy act when I started asking some questions she told me that the bike I was looking at had some warranty work done on it but she said she was not allowed to tell me what the warranty work was .
Everyone is scared to death of litigation.