General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sportster was stolen today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:17 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My sportster was stolen today

stingray72,

Man I feel for you, I hate thieves with a passion. I wanted to pass on a story that happened recently, which my friend told me about. My friend has a large hunting store and one of his customers had thieves visit his home recently. What the thieves did was use his tractor (which had a set of forks on the front end loader) to bust through the side of his home, he had a large gun collection in gun safes, after tearing out the side of the house, they used the tractor to load his gun safes and then made off with several other things as well.

So if you live in the country you might want to make sure if you have equipment that they can't use that to assist in their break-in as well. Not only did they make off with about a 100k gun collection and other stuff, they did about 60k damage to the home as well.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 PM
stingray72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smitty96

Sorry. They'll get theirs in the end.
Lets hope they get it in the end in prison. Over, and over, and over again.

On to more happier thoughts...

Considering a VROD. What do you guys with experience on them think? I don't do too many long rides but the occasional one I'd like to be semi comfy. Mostly I still enjoy having a sportier bike.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:43 PM
rfhermo
Cruiser

If there is any Karma at all, maybe they will step out in front of a bus. Sorry about the bike man.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Harleygirl81
Advanced

Oh my god! I think I would just have to puke if that happened to me!.........that is........right after I tracked their a.....'s down and beat the crap outta them! That really sucks!

Well, I hope you recover everything! Sorry to hear about that!

Old 03-27-2006, 05:21 PM
AF Scootertrash
Advanced

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. As for the rest of us, simply "stashing" the key inside may not help. I have picked a lot of good home security tips from watching a show on the Discovery channel called "It takes a Thief". It shows how much stuff you can lose, usually, in under 15 minutes, in the middle of the day. New security toys can get expensive, such as my new $800 safe, but I know my "valuables" won't get stolen or burn up if there is a fire. As for my Harley, it gets padlocked to the floor of my garage every day with anchors, chains, and padlock from www.kryptonitelock.com. It was money well spent, although you have to put off buying those chrome goodies for a little while.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:10 AM
ctimm64
Intermediate

i'm really sorry to hear of your recent victimization, ive had my garage broken in and things stolen and it hurt!!!!, but now that my new bike is in there i have that same fear that someone may be eyeballing my ride. i have some major security plans. My buddy has cameras around his place and these are accessible via the internet and will record the instant the burgler alarm is activated. its costly but worth it.
being victimized sucks, makes the biggest toughest of men feel crappy!!!!

Good luck and Godsspeed in the insurance process and hope youre on the road again soon!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Sorry to hear about your capital loss..Just remember that it's income tax time and everything you lost that is not covered by insurance is a capital loss and decuctable from your 1040. Yes, that includes that 114lb bag of uncut diamonds you had under the bed. Plus your 5 carat class ring, and don't forget the waterford settings for 12 either. Geez I almost forgot all 3 of the 50 inch plasma TV's as well. Better call your accountant.

Dang, I shoulda hire KBFXDLI to do my taxes this year!!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:24 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i cant stand a falking thief, hope you catch the low life ba&tards!!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 AM
JAMIE
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that. I hope the cowards are caught, too bad Grover couldn't be the judge in the case.[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I know this is a bad time to bring this up...but some thieves return to the same crime scene knowing the homeowner will replace everything with new stuff. I would highly recommend getting and ADT or Brinks alarm for your home. I have an ADT monitored system in my home and if you go in my home uninvited you can't walk more than 15 feet in any direction without tripping a motion detector. This calls the local LEO's and sets off 2 sirens (one inside & one outside). Then the system administrator calls me at one of multiple phone numbers and tells me what is happening while he is on-line with the LEO's. The crook has about 2 minutes max to vacate as the average LEO response time in my town is 4 minutes.

Your insurance guy can help you get connected with the Alarm companies and you will get a discount if you add fire & smoke detectors to it. ( I save about $250/year and it costs $320/yr for monitoring by ADT). I would think seriously about it.
Yeah I have heard about the return to scene idea myself. In addtion to the alarm system, would a floor anchor for the bike also be a good idea? They install into the concrete floor of the garage and then a chain goes around the frame and is secured to the anchor. (example here: http://www.lockitt.com/lockdown.htm)

Sorry to hear about the loss. As mentioned earlier, it has got me thinking about security. Perhaps this horrible thing can prevent others in the future.

Quick Reply: My sportster was stolen today