General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sportster was stolen today

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My sportster was stolen today

Man that is just awful. What a broken world we live in. I hope at least all your material loses can be rectified quickly.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the material thing is nothing as compared to the feeling of being frickin' ROBBED! [:@]

Old 03-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,915 Likes on 816 Posts

Man, that's just sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully the insurance crap goes smoothly and your back in business very soon.

Clammy

Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, what a bummer. Hope you come out alright in the end. I worry about the same thing happening sometime.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: stingray72

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I know this is a bad time to bring this up...but some thieves return to the same crime scene knowing the homeowner will replace everything with new stuff. I would highly recommend getting and ADT or Brinks alarm for your home. I have an ADT monitored system in my home and if you go in my home uninvited you can't walk more than 15 feet in any direction without tripping a motion detector. This calls the local LEO's and sets off 2 sirens (one inside & one outside). Then the system administrator calls me at one of multiple phone numbers and tells me what is happening while he is on-line with the LEO's. The crook has about 2 minutes max to vacate as the average LEO response time in my town is 4 minutes.

Your insurance guy can help you get connected with the Alarm companies and you will get a discount if you add fire & smoke detectors to it. ( I save about $250/year and it costs $320/yr for monitoring by ADT). I would think seriously about it.

I just moved in in May and had been saving for the alarm system. hindsite says I should have bought the bullet and just paid for the stuff. ADT is coming out monday. Should I spring the extra $200 and get the wireless call version so they can't mess with my phone line to disable the system?

You need the wireless if your phone line is not buried underground. If you phone line is buried then put in a fake phone line conduit ($10 at home depot)with a piece of phone wire in it so they cut that then go in and get busted by the alarm system. Make sure you get the battery back up and I recommend the "glass break" sensors too as they work well. Then put a fake Harley key on the key hook and keep the real one someplace else. Then a disc lock will slow them down too. Make sure you get 2 of the big ADT signs and put them in the window on the front and back of the house so they are easily seen from the street. Also get the window stickers for all over the house. Then go completely around your house with the ADT guy and TRY to break in. This thief will case your house several times before he hits again and will be looking for an alternate way in. After you do all this make sure you set the alarm everytime you leave and don't use your street address # for the disarm code. I would call 2 or 3 companies and get bids. Just be glad you or any member of your family was not home at the time.

Best of Luck!

Old 03-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Nobikeyet
Advanced

I'm sorry to hear it. There is no feeling quite like the one you get when your vehicle is messed with. I am a very calm cool-headed person, but nothing chaps my *** like someone messing with my family or my Jeep. Those two things are completely off-limits in my opinion.

Thieves are and always will be the most worthless S.O.B.'s on the planet. I hope they get what they deserve and that your insurance company takes care of you.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser

Sorry to here about your loss and being violated like that sucks worse than the loss of your material things.I hope your insurance company is good to you and does'nt try to nickel and dime you. If they do I have heard of a service ,They are called public adjusters and they are basically ex insurance adjusters who know all the ins and outs of the insurance companies and they work on your behalf to get you everything you deserve without trying to make you figure out the whole insurance mess.I believe that they work on a percentage of the total claim for their fee. My brother used one in florida and he had more repaired after the hurricane damage then he really thought he was entitled to. So it might be worth looking in to, Best of luck to you[:@]

Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

the material thing is nothing as compared to the feeling of being frickin' ROBBED! [:@]
That's the truth. I went through the same thing several years ago, although they only took the stereo, tv and some other personal stuff, left the bike, etc. alone. Material things can be replaced, it is the feeling of having someone in your house that you would never have let in otherwise that took me the longest to get over. I know it's not much consolation now, but after my burglary, I had a good alarm system installed in the house, at least made the Mrs. feel better.

I hope that everything works out for you and the insurance company doesn't drag things out, there is no reason they should.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like everyone else who replied sorry man.it just digust's me that someone would have the ***** to do that and sleep @ night.what state did this happen in?

hope for the best

Old 03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn dude,that really sucks.My Dad always said the only thing worse than a lier is a thief.If you ask me,they usually come in the same package.I have no heart for a no good basted that wont get out and get a job and work for the nice things in life and will take what you've worked hard to get.I say if the catch this sorry no good for nothin scum sucking sonofabitch,they should give you and a baseball bat 5 minutes alone with him and then hang it in his ***.

Quick Reply: My sportster was stolen today