General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going on deployment- buy now or later?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Going on deployment- buy now or later?

Okay, I need some help. I'm in love a blue '06 dyna low rider at the dealer. (althought the handlebars aren't straight, I'm sure they can fix that). I'm in the Navy and going on a 6 month cruise in a bit over 2 months from now. The reasonable thing to so is to wait until I get back in December and order up an '07 model and wait for the warm weather. But then I know it's going to get warm soon and I'll have some great riding I could be doing in April/May. BUT, I'll have to get a loan right now, if I wait I'll have cash. (I would pay off the loan within a year if I got it now). Also, I'd lose 6 months of warranty while it sits in the garage.

I still have my 'ol Honda VTR1000 sportbike, so I won't miss out on riding, just riding and owning a Harley...

What should I do? Am I crazy to get one now and have it sit? What if '07 has some great upgrades? What if the softail gets the 6 speed and bigger forks next year?

Old 03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Nobikeyet
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going on deployment- buy now or later?

I waited until after I returned from deployment to make any big purchases. It makes more sense financially and you don't have to worry about finding someone to take care of your ride or leaving it in a pay lot to get screwed with. Plus you can spend that six monthes deciding exactly what you want. My $.02.
And take care of yourself when you take off.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
zzrider
Cruiser

I heard some guys can buy bikes overseas and have them shipped back cheaper than buying them in the US ...you may want to check on that. A guy I worked with bought one in Germany while stationed there and the Military shipped it home for him. ....Something you may wanna check out.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Nobikeyet
Advanced

Yea I forgot about that. I had a buddy that ordered his Wrangler from while in Kuwait. I can't remember what kind of deal he got though.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked the overseas program, here's the quotes I got from them:

2006 Dyna Low Ride, Deep Cobalt Blue Five Year Warranty (Optional $999), Upgraded Profile Wheels Factory Security System, Federal Emissions. $16969

2006 Dyna Super Bob Fuel Injected, Vivid Black,Five Year Warranty (Optional $999), Factory Security System, Federal Emissions. $13777.

That doesn't sound like much of a deal over the local dealer, or is it?

Old 03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would wait.

Ride what you have, keep your options open, save some money, and you dont have to deal with storing a bike while you're away.

Its not the same, but if you have a huge jones to ride an HD before going on cruise, swap bikes with a friend for a day or so, or rent one.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zimm

I checked the overseas program, here's the quotes I got from them:

2006 Dyna Low Ride, Deep Cobalt Blue Five Year Warranty (Optional $999), Upgraded Profile Wheels Factory Security System, Federal Emissions. $16969

2006 Dyna Super Bob Fuel Injected, Vivid Black,Five Year Warranty (Optional $999), Factory Security System, Federal Emissions. $13777.

That doesn't sound like much of a deal over the local dealer, or is it?
I only checked the Bobber MSRP, but you can compare them here on the HD site.

Good Luck!
Fair winds and a safe return

Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I would wait use the crusie to save $$$ for the bike. Check New Cars Sa;es for what they have and the price. You can work a bit on the price with them, not as much as a dealer. Also depending where your cruise is going you may rate extra $$$ which means you may be able to pay cash or buy a "bigger bike" if you like. I bought mine thru the Exchange New Car Sells and saved some big bucks. Just my .02 worth. What ship you on? I did floats on Forstall, Keneddy, and America. And I was a Marine not a salior. Have a safe one, keep us posted.

V/R

Old 03-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Bear64
Banned

I had the very same problem, back in 1961, I was leaving for the Med and the harley shop had a brand new Hi-Fi Blue 1961 XLCH that I coveted..I finally made a deal with the dealer, paid a down payment, he held it in the shop for me untill I got back, of course if I changed my mind I lost the down paymet!! The night before I left for the Med. I wrecked my 57 XL down on Highway 17 below Norfolk, Va...I had to take a cab back to the ship, got in a phone call to the dealer at home, about 6 AM, and told him what happened and where to pick up the wreck.. When I got back I had that 61 XLCH waiting there ready to rock and Roll.. while I was out to sea he installed a Bates raceing seat, chrome oil tank and primary cover..did all that through the mail.. maybe you could work something out like that. I guess it really depends on how much you really want that 06 I guess. Oh, the price of the 1961 XLCH $1335.00 just about the same amount I got for re-enlisting in the Navy[8D]

Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know about where you live but here in Ohio the best prices are had in December & January. I would wait until sales are dead and you'll get a better deal. You may even be able to get a 2006 left over for lots of $$ off when the 07's come out. Time is on your side so why not take advantage of it?

Quick Reply: Going on deployment- buy now or later?