General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel milage

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '03 RKC with stage 1 and TFI module runs a little fat but I normally get 36-38 mpg in the city...if I go easy with my right hand. I'll get 42- 44 mpg on the highway running 65-70 mph.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in So Cal also and do have mountain grades to negotiate on my 135 mile daily round trip commute - from 4200' elevation to Sea Level and then back up to 4200' again at the end of the day. I average 35-36 mpg with an occasional 37-38 mpg here and there. I ride very conservatively and it's all wide-open Interstate the entire way - no traffic jams cuz of the hours I work.

PS: I agree on the So Cal fuel blends giving us lously mileage. In Idaho i picked up 12 mpg on two consecutive tankfulls last summer - how the hell do you explain that other than fuel???

Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
fishfinaddict
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again fellas just still wondering if I should trouble my tuner with this ?
fishfinaddict out.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfinaddict
thanks again fellas just still wondering if I should trouble my tuner with this ?
fishfinaddict out.
First off I have to say there isn't anyone on this planet that can do a complete tune with a SERT, SEST, or TTS Mastertune in one hour. I've been Dyno tuning for 7 years now and it still takes me four to five hours to give a customer a tune I can hang my hat on. Your so called tuner did a download and a few dyno 100% runs like 80% of the dealers do and call that a tune.
Second, Like a few replies have touched in this thread, if your area has the E85 gas your mileage is going to be down because ethanol doesn't give the power gas does so your into the throttle more to get the power needed to abstain your speeds. This is why some of you are getting better mileage where the gas is better out of your area.
Third, Depending how you ride, your weight, and state of tune will dictate what your mileage is going to be however 38 to 45 MPG is average with a good tune, I see where some on this thread is claiming 50 to 55 MPG so to you few I have to say your bike is burning up.....your probably running in the high 15.0:1's AFR to be seeing those numbers.
Each engine and each build is a complete different animal and needs to have its own tune that optimizes the performance....down loads are just a starting point, 100% throttle tuning is just that....you need a tune from 0%, 2%, 5%, 7%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% throttle position to optimize your bikes potential and then someone who knows how to set the AFR values and adjust the timing to burn the fuel your dumping in. Some of the so called tuners out there will make your AFR lean to raise your gas mileage but what they don't know is there are other fuel tables in the ECM that will over ride those lean AFR's in certain conditions and they say to you that you will be getting bla bla bla mileage but in reality the ECM says no way am I giving that at this load so it richens up the AFR to protect itself.
I guess I babbled enough here....hope I cleared some things up or at least confused you more....lol
Doc

Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not familiar with the P/N's listed; did you change out to a high flow AC (Big Sucker?)? The flow balance should be 10-20% intake and 80-90% exhaust (garbage in, garbage out). Is the mileage with passenger or solo? The install time is soooo short because he probably downloaded the new mapping for the upgrades-new bikes are so cool that way. I have to actually take apart my carb to adjust to any changes! Try the platinum/iridium SE plugs; I've had good luck with those.