General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Near Death Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Near Death Experiences

I want to hear peoples closest calls when it comes to riding... I think it is a great lesson for me and everyone else to stay alert.
I'll start...
About 25 years ago, I was cruising at 55 MPH up a 2 lane highway in the default lane possition, feet up, totally relaxed. The traffic comin' the other way was pretty heavy, it was just starting to turn dark out.. not dark yet though, kinda' twilight (zone).
So anyway, without warning, this old guy (who is travelling southbound... I'm travelling northbound) decides to pull into my lane like he's gonna' pass! He is 2-3 seconds directly in front of me! He's goin' the same speed as me... about 110 MPH head on impact as I see it. I didn't even have time to be scared... I do remember the thought, "I'm Dead" going through my head though. I totally lock the bike up, it starts turning sideways, I see myself rolling under his car so I gun it and the bike fishtails and when it does, it snaps the rear end around and the guy without even slowing down wizz's past my rear turn signal... I thought he took the turn signal off the bike, the wind alone was enough to wobble me. I look back and he's still driving in my lane without even slowing down! I don't know if the ol' guy was having a seizure, a heart attack or what? Then he pulls into a store on my side of the road! I turn around to head back and beat the guy to death when I see it's an old man and an old lady... so I headed home... parked the bike... got in the door... grabbed a beer... started shaking... and didn't ride for about 24 years after that.

Last edited by Chubby; 08-31-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Coming home about 9:00 following my brother. Two lane winding road in a business area of town. Come up on a small car going about 35 in a 45. Car puts on right turn signal so my brother passes him. My turn but when I go to pass the guy turns left right in front of me. Locked it down and got stopped. Stupid cage driver didn't even know I was there.