General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Mixing oil hurt????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Mgarrett88
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Mixing oil hurt????

I had my 5000 mile service done on my 02 sporty this spring. i have only put about 1000 miles on since and checked the oil level today and it didnt even register on the dip stick!!! Needless to say i freaked out and added some bikers choice regular oil. I had synthedic in there prior to this and there was still some in there. Does mixing synthedic oil and regular oil do anything wrong or is bad for the bike??? O and yes i will be calling my local harley dealership wondering why my oil is not up to level after they did the work on it!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you check the oil yourself right after the service? Has your bike been using oil? To answer your question, as a general rule, not advisable to mix unless you really need to add in an emergency like your case. Best to stay with same brand syn or dino. I need to add it the dealer shorted the oil you have been riding 1K miles with low oil, which could have caused engine damage. If you used that much oil in 1k miles then you have another problem. Get it to the dealer stat!

Last edited by streeteagle; 08-30-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 219 Posts

It's better to mix than be low but I'd probably change it pretty soon. FWIW on a new bike I always run Dino and check it often. I switch to synthetic after it quits using it. My Dyna used almost none from the beginning so I switched to Mobil 1 at 5,000. I had a 2001 BMW that didn't stop using oil until 18,000 miles.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't hurt but you will only get the level of protection and mileage of the lesser oil... ie. If you use Amsoil it is pretty much good for the season under normal driving conditions, if you mix it, it will only be good for the time the lessor oil is.... probably 5k. Never advisable to mix though but it won't hurt the bike.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you mix with a synthetic blend no problem but a full synthetic could lead to troubles. A full synthetic does not mix well with regular oils and seperates, creating areas not protected This could lead to bearing damage. Change it as soon as possible. As usual you will get lots of opinions on this board, but in all honesty on something this serious you should really be asking a professional not us biker guys.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Smurfshxt
Cruiser

I will keep this short, but everybody has an opinion about oil. I will just give you a few facts. I am in the oil business so I have a little background with it.

1. Mixing oil is fine. Your much better off adding 5 different types and weights of oil to the proper level than to ever run it low.
2 Mixing dino and syn is again fine. Your not going to hurt anything, the oils will mix and lubricate completely.
3 All oils now have to meet ILSAC and ASE ratings meaning it is all pretty good stuff. It all cleans cools and lubricates and will not hurt you scoot.

Are you sure your following the correct procedure to accurately check the level? Im not insinuating anything but Ive seen that happen many times.

Good luck and report what you find.

Smurf

Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Mgarrett88
Intermediate

i did everything right when i checked i even whipped out the manual to make sure i was doing it right thats why i was soo puzzeled
i know my sport has the oil blow by problem where it leaks a minute amount through the air filter but the dealership told me that it woudlnt amount to much. i was amazed that there was no reading on the stick

Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM
tmf2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mgarrett88
I had synthedic in there prior to this and there was still some in there. Does mixing synthedic oil and regular oil do anything wrong or is bad for the bike???
Thats all a blend is.......won't hurt a thing.