General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i took the motorcycle skills test today

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
ashenfang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so i took the motorcycle skills test today

and passed, yea! I was so nervous this morning, I even went out to the test site again to practice last night.

The guy who did the testing was real cool. Was very clear on what needed to be done. I only missed one, which I hit a cone. He was real forgiving though. There was an older man, probably in his 60's who was having a real hard time with the right hand U-turn, he let him trying it 3-4 times, then finally said, "okay, just give me a good left one", which the man did, and he let him go on.

All in all, it wasn't what I expected, and I was able to complete everything that was asked. I think though, that next year I will take the experienced riders safety course just for the education.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats...now go ride!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
vega823
Road Master

Congrats! I didn't have to sweat the road test because I took the MSF class. Not a good test taker, myself.
Ride safe.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Starboard
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like you breezed through it. I also took the MSF course after letting my license lapse and I had to perform the same exercises on a Buell Blast, not my lowrider. You done good!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My 'skills test' in 1971 (Delaware) consisted of riding to one end of a parking lot, turning around without putting my feet down, and then returning to the starting point.

I've had my 'endorsement' ever since then, but I did take the MSF Course a couple years ago.

Lady I knew was taking the course and didn't want to do it alone, so I told her I'd take it with her. (Main reason was that in my state you get an automatic 10% discount on your insurance rate if you have completed and passed the MSF Course)....

The basic MSF Course covered a lot of good information, but there is only a limited amount of knowledge and riding skills you can learn in a 2 or 3 day course.

To me the basic MSF Course was much like the "Driver Ed Class" many of us took back in High School. It gives you a basic knowledge of a motorcycle, and you do spend a few hours of actual riding time, but it in no way makes you a qualified rider. That can only come from thousands of miles of on the road experience.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Same as OldFenderGuy, I took my driving test in Calif. in 1971 and it consisted of driving across the lot (shifting) and turning around and returning (shifting and downshifting). I also had to do a figure eight and then a legal park (just pulled straight into a curb stone). The whole test took all of about 3 minutes (I said "cool"). I had one written renewal in Calif. Other than that I have always had a valid license. When I moved to Ariz. they just accepted it and issued me theirs.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,623 Likes on 3,437 Posts

Well done. Never stop practicing and never stop learning.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

good job

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Good job - Congrats - Enjoy and be safe...

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Glyde
Road Master

Congrats on passing. You should still consider taking an advanced MSF course after you get some time in the saddle. There's always more you can learn.

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: so i took the motorcycle skills test today