General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a bad day get any worse ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Default Could a bad day get any worse ?

I had a crappy day today. I'm kinda sick. Lost/misplaced some stuff in the morning. Forgot some things I needed to take to work. Almost got hit by a Japanese Lane Darter in the MacArthur Maze on the ride to work in the 100 degree heat. Put someone else's lock on my locker at work and lost my badge for awhile, then it got worse as the day at work progressed. Murphy's Law got worn out around me at work today. It was a real nightmare.

We were joking that I should probably just stay at work rather than try to go home on my bike.

But I rode home anyway. And while it was a hectic ride ( Friday night, Labor Day w/e, post-49er-game traffic with jacked-up drunks bouncing off of the white lines between lanes, some kid buzzed me going to do the last-minute exit from the fast lane while I was in his way, but he just looked like the kind of squirrel who was going to impress me with his superior driving skills so I made him miss me, etc. ), I was riding my bike and all was right in a crazy, violent world.

My motorcycle is great therapy. I was almost dreading the ride home, and the ride ended up reminding me why I love my motorcycle. Absolutely fantastic. Mid-60 degree weather. No traffic once I got off of the superslab. I passed my house and kept riding upvalley towards St.Helena just so I could drop off any extra bad vibes that might still be clinging to me.

I was thanking Mr. Harley and the Davidson brothers for what they did 105 years ago. If not for them, I probably would have been trapped in a cage bouncing off the walls.

Aren't motorcycles GREAT ?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:48 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's why I ride to work: because I get to ride home. Sometimes that's the best ride, isn't it?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 AM
budnlucy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why yes, yes it is a matter a fact!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Ain't nptjin like a ride in the wind to cure all that ails you. Sometimes I like to just get on the bike and go. Totally clears my head. These are my mental douche days.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Amen to that brother!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:40 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I cant ride, I am a dull boy indeed

Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 AM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of like a drug, when you can't have it you start jonesing for it. Then when you get it, you can't get enough of it.

Oh, and yes, a bad day can always get worse.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:27 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

So true. My worst days are totally turned around after some riding therapy.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
vega823
Road Master

Never had much interest in yoga or meditation, but now I understand the reason that so many folks get into it. Riding is so much like meditation - totally focused on the moment in time, no bills, no nagging boss, no focus on anything but the road. Mr. Murphy may sit waiting for me at the curb, but he is not allowed to ever come along for the ride!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Got to agree - even a short ride can turn things around. I've ridden more night miles this year than ever and even though you have to be super watchful for them deer, it is awesome with the cool temps and cold pockets.

Quick Reply: Could a bad day get any worse ?