General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just an observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:37 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm on my third used Harley in less than 18 months. Bought a sporty and sold that to buy a Low Rider. Found a guy who wanted to trade his RK for a smaller bike and did that deal. I'd always wanted a Road King and now I have one. Miss the Dyna, but am getting used to the King. Have it up for sale or trade because I like buying and selling used Harleys and have gotten good bikes that were well maintained and cared for. Have also made $$ on the buy/sell.
Bought the Dyna off ebay. Flew to Milwaukee and rode it back to Billings with a stop in Sturgis during bike week. Made the deal on the RK off Craigslist, rode the Low Rider to Tucson, traded bikes and rode home by way of Effingham for the HD Forums party.
Anybody in Alaska have a bike for sale?

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:26 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

For Thomaskray, most parts from 2000-2005 Dynas are pretty easy to change among each other. In 2006 major frame and suspension changes occurred but that 2002 FXD will give you years of service just maintain it.

Old 08-29-2008 | 11:30 AM
fotoflojoe
Tourer

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
The Debt part is right on, you hit the hail on the head, But there are two things that I will never again buy used, one is a bike and the other is a boat, you never know what you are getting buying someone elses junk.
+1 Amen to that. To steal from another quote: Even though it looks beautiful sitting in the lot/water, there's someone out there who's sick of it's ****.

Old 08-29-2008 | 11:46 AM
l.ray
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by faber
Well.....Harleys are the kind of things that will last forever if you take care of it. The after-market is deep, as is the knowledge-base.

I'm one of those guys who bought a new Harley (actually two--my wife's also). Financing actually works for me. I paid enough of a down payment and got a good rate that costs me well below what my money earns in interest in other accounts. If I bought them outright, I would have lost money on potential interest earned *and* taken a hit on depreciation.

Don't get me wrong, we got our bikes because we like to ride 'em, but since there are a few approaches to purchasing one, I went with the one that cost me the least over the next five years.
Very, Very well said! You most likely a sucessful Man. ride safe l.ray

Old 08-29-2008 | 11:56 AM
TexasSnake
Banned

That would be "really in debt" in my case. I actually sold my only car to put a down payment on mine. It's the most expensive thing I've ever owned, but its worth every payment.

Old 08-29-2008 | 12:23 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

I have 110,000 on my 01, runs great, needs nothing other than gas and oil. Keep riding.

Joe

Old 09-03-2008 | 09:12 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

And a seat Joe.
Would you contact me and let me know what you're doing about this seat please?

Old 09-03-2008 | 10:08 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

IF you keep it long enough, and ride it, you can get WAY over 100,000 on the 'new' ones. Lotsa ppl doing it, everyday.
Watch Craigslist daily for a week or so. Lots of 03-08's for sale, for a song. Ppl trying to save the rest of the chit they financed.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used scoot. Especially when you see some have 1700, 4200, or so miles on 'em. And they're out there, everywhere.

Me, I like the 'old iron'. Only 'new' HD was a 76XLCH. I will only pay cash, or no splash.
We did buy an 01 Ultra from a friend. 124" Zipper built with Baker 6 Spd, Zeppelin air seat, the works. He had over $35G into it, bought it for $16G even, with 2700 on the clock, and <500 on the 124", in 03. Sold it for $22G.

Just went on a Food Shelf Run, Sunday. >100 bikes. There was a '36 EL (Frankenstein), a '76 FLH done way good, and The Cap'n. Guess which scoots had the vast majority of the ppl gathered 'round 'em?

And 2 weeks ago, rolled the 78 FLH onto the public stage for it's first major outing. First place, Custom Class. Parked in between 2 $30,000+ customs. Have less than 8G tied up in it. And leaving for SoDak on it, Friday. WOOHOO - it has SHOCKS on it. (NO horn or blinky thingys, I'm not a total sell out )

I make payments every month, too. But they are to J&P, V Twin, Dennis Jerk etc. IF I had to pay someone to do the work, or make payments to a bank, I'd prob'ly be scootless.

Old 09-03-2008 | 10:53 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Well, they change the color every year, and I just HAVE to have that new color!!

Old 09-03-2008 | 12:28 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by laz263
Yeah, but the new ones are so SHINY. And they smell great. And you get a free t-shirt with one. C'mon, you gotta admit that makes it worth the extra four or five grand..........
Well...my '03 RK(FLHRI) was as shiny as a new bike (14000 miles)runs like a new bike...got the free tee and 1 yr HOG membership as well..oh and 15% off parts , clothes..(one shot deal)..and the bike just had it's full 15,000 mile service..still saved 5k and the downpayment was less..and has a few nice extras.
Great followup service from the dealer..could not be happier

Quick Reply: Just an observation