General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just an observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:20 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

laz +1 , my only vice too , I have done worse , and Sweetie is happy too ..

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:27 PM
dcmassena
Tourer

I was actually looking at a used sporty when I went into the dealership. When I started the process they got two new nightsters in and I took one of those instead. They are in short stock around here and I jumped on one when I had the chance.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:30 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The last new Harley I bought was a 2005. Already sold it. My newest now is the 2002 Deuce in my sig which I bought used for 1/2 the price of a new one.

All of my vehicles are paid for and I don't like being out of pocket any more than I have to for depreciating items.

$.02

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:30 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

My Sporty started sucking oil like Linda Lovelace does... nevermind... I got sick of dumping oil in it and went to the dealer to look for another bike. I saw this 07 Street Bob in there and thought it looked cool as all hell. I traded in the Sporty and bought it.
No I'm not deep in debt but I do have some. The bike is the only vehicle we are making payments on now.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:33 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Wink

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
My Sporty started sucking oil like Linda Lovelace does... nevermind... I got sick of dumping oil in it and went to the dealer to look for another bike. I saw this 07 Street Bob in there and thought it looked cool as all hell. I traded in the Sporty and bought it.
No I'm not deep in debt but I do have some. The bike is the only vehicle we are making payments on now.
Ya know, TECHNICALLY, that would mean your Sporty was swallowing oil, and thus not leaking at all.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:34 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by JBaker421
The last new Harley I bought was a 2005. Already sold it. My newest now is the 2002 Deuce in my sig which I bought used for 1/2 the price of a new one.

All of my vehicles are paid for and I don't like being out of pocket any more than I have to for depreciating items.

$.02
Yeah, but the new ones are so SHINY. And they smell great. And you get a free t-shirt with one. C'mon, you gotta admit that makes it worth the extra four or five grand..........

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by laz263
Ya know, TECHNICALLY, that would mean your Sporty was swallowing oil, and thus not leaking at all.
Yep that's why I said it was sucking oil. It wasn't leaking any , it was just disappearing after the engine had a 1250 kit put in it. It would use about a quart every 500 miles.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:39 PM
BCGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thomaskray
Been reading a bunch of posts for a couple weeks now (new member). I find it facinating the number of people with "new" bikes. The overwhelming majority of signitures and tag lines mention 07, 08, and even 09 bikes. I just recently bought a used (2002) dyna with 13K miles on it and put another 1000 on it in the past month.

So I guess my question is... what kind of mileage can one expect from a Harley before it's time to trade/retire it? Is it pretty much like a car in that I can expect 100K miles on it? Assuming regular maintenance, and such.

All that said, you guys with brand new bikes are either really lucky or really in debt. Please take no offense, I'm just envious.
If you don't flog it 24/7, that bike should run 150K+ miles! The bike will run forever...either you will rebuild or the next owner will. Best part about HD, always parts available.

Now for the lucky/debt issue...how about neither? Try 'delayed gratification'. Rode far East bikes for years until I could buy my '07 as they were pushing '08's onto the showroom floor! LOL debt sucks, I wouldn't even ride an HD if it meant borrowing muhla.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:40 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by laz263
Yeah, but the new ones are so SHINY. And they smell great. And you get a free t-shirt with one. C'mon, you gotta admit that makes it worth the extra four or five grand..........
Mine wasn't shiny (denim paint) it smelled like uhh gas and oil and I didn't get a free t-shirt!

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:45 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

We got two free t shirts , so we are special , I reckon

Linda Lovelace ,, HHMM bad luck to talk about the deceased

Quick Reply: Just an observation