General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just an observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:22 PM
powaypete
Road Master

You can always rebuild when the time comes, a whole lot cheaper than buying another one.

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:23 PM
Bonnie
Cruiser

One Friday morning Slacker 8 told me not to get mad but that he wanted to go look at a Harley. I said okay let's go. Could have knocked him over with a feather. Decided to buy that day and did. It never occured to us to look at used. Don't know why, just found what we wanted, got the financing, signed the papers and she was ours. 08 vivid black Street Bob.

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:26 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

I bought my bike used, no problems.

Old 08-28-2008 | 05:01 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Sometimes you just deserve to "treat" yourself.

Remember, there are people here from all walks of life and age ranges. My kid is grown and has a family of her own now, so I now have more time and money to enjoy some of the things that got put on hold for so long.

Before long, I'll be working on getting the grandson interested in cars and bikes.

He's 5, and already told me when he gets bigger, he's gonna have a "cool" motorcycle with "skulls" on it. Sometimes they just make ya smile

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:34 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

There's always the chance of a lemon in any industry but I think a lot depends on how you take care of your bike. Some like to get rough with things then they wonder why it didn't last very long. As for the debt thing, I learned how to save my money and when I bought my bike I put a sizeable down payment on it and I'm not in debt and my payments are easy to handle.

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:37 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by thomaskray
Hey dope man. I like that seat you got, and your bars. What kind are they?
the seat and bars are stock, the seat I have sitting in my closet now, want it?

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:38 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

I'm gonna be 65 before the youngest of the 5 at home will be 18...
Be no new scooters in this house LOL

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:47 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Been at this game for thirty seven years , and July 13th I bought my first Harley with less than 10 miles on it .. Closest before that was 2100 miles .. No I aint rich , but hey I can justify 21 grand on a Harley .. I've justified much worse at more money ..

Ya cant get a decent four wheeler for that money ..

I have wanted a brand spanking new Harley all these years , and I finally broke down and did it ..

Now if it lasts as long as the EVO Tour glides did , I will be happy

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:58 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Mine and my husband's Sporties were both used when we bought them. My 06 Deluxe was new "old" stock when I purchased it on '07 and my husband's '07 Road King we purchased used in March of this year with 6k miles on it. We traded both the Sporties and got hosed of course. Could certainly spend it on worse things. Fortunately both bikes are now paid off.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:10 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Like helmets, fringe, gloves with or without fingers, etc, etc,......new or used is a personal preference. When I started looking, I couldn't find a decent late model used RKC with low miles that was much less than I was going to pay for a new one.

As far as "when to trade it in", I'd say when your needs change. I've had the RKC for a year now, and have loved it. But, I've noticed I prefer to take the bike on long trips more than just around town, and I'm ready for a few more creature comforts like a stereo, locking bags, fairing, etc..... So I've got a deposit on an 09 Ultra I should be picking up next week.

And on the subject of financing vs. paying cash, I'm about halfway. I don't want to finance the entire cost of a $22,000 bike, but I'll do 50%. The way I look at it, I don't drink, smoke, or go to strip bars. Most of the guys I know who do at least two of the three spend more in a month than my bike payment. So if that's my only vice, I'm cool with it. And more importantly, my wife is cool with it.

Quick Reply: Just an observation