General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just an observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

You can go 100k easy if you take care of it. Get a service manual so you know the entire maintenance picture.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:34 PM
Starboard
Road Master

Mine was a planned purchase, just took longer than I would have liked. I wanted an 07 but waited until I had half the price for a down payment. I've been lucky and business is great so I won't even make a year until mine is paid off. I wouldn't dream of selling it. I love my bike! I hope to get 100K miles of pleasure to reward the wait.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:34 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

I like buying new and I am finally at a place in my life where I can afford to do it. I spent a lot of years riding older stuff, keeping it running, etc. - been on Harleys for 27 years this summer. In 2005, I bought my first brand-new Harley, an Electra Glide Classic that I rode the hell out - 20,000 per year. I traded it last year for the Ultra and will probably trade the Ultra for a Street Glide if the numbers work now that my wife is riding her own bike. As for the Springer, check with me in 10 years and I bet I still have that one. I can't see her going anywhere.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:37 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior

I plan on owning an 07, 08 or 09 one day, but not until at least 2012. I like beat up older bikes, they have lived the hard life, and are still ready to serve.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:45 PM
charliea
Cruiser

The harley market is great now you can find 2 and 3 year old bikes with 2 or 3 thousand miles on them cheap. It was not to long ago used bikes were the same price as new bikes.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:50 PM
Cajun King
Road Master

I am like you Thomas. I stole err... bought my 02 Road King 2 months ago with 16k on the clock. Now about to turn 19k and nothing has shaken loose yet. The scoot runs strong.

The gentleman I bought it from kept great service records and the bike was immaculate. I will need to replace the rear tire but plan to do it at 20k when I do the rest of the 20k maintenance. It still has another couple thousand miles left on it.

I paid around half of what a new one would sell for and it was loaded with bling including Stage 1, bikini bars, stainless cables and hoses, plenty of chrome, bitch backrest, an additional Corbin classic solo seat, additional new Harley quick release low profile windshield kit, and brand new Harley cover.

Time will tell but for now, life is good.

Old 08-28-2008 | 03:11 PM
DMJFatboy
Tourer

Riding my first harley 07 fatboy (rode sport bikes for 16 years). I don't like debt. I usually save and pay cash. fatboy is paid 4 and I'm working a part time job now saving for a new street glide. I'll have the cash by the time I pcs from Germany and head back to the states. Maybe by 2010 they'll release a cvo street glide.

Old 08-28-2008 | 03:42 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thomaskray
So I guess my question is... what kind of mileage can one expect from a Harley before it's time to trade/retire it? Is it pretty much like a car in that I can expect 100K miles on it? Assuming regular maintenance, and such.
You can run the wheels of them, then you simply buy new wheels.

1991 FXDB Stugis, original parts replaced along the way.

Old 08-28-2008 | 03:51 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thomaskray
Been reading a bunch of posts for a couple weeks now (new member). I find it facinating the number of people with "new" bikes. The overwhelming majority of signitures and tag lines mention 07, 08, and even 09 bikes. I just recently bought a used (2002) dyna with 13K miles on it and put another 1000 on it in the past month.

So I guess my question is... what kind of mileage can one expect from a Harley before it's time to trade/retire it? Is it pretty much like a car in that I can expect 100K miles on it? Assuming regular maintenance, and such.

All that said, you guys with brand new bikes are either really lucky or really in debt. Please take no offense, I'm just envious.
I've got an '08 Nightster and 20 year old Honda Shadow. Which one would you put in the sig? I bought a new bike because I could. If they turned me down, I would have looked at used. I think that's just the natural order of things. You don't have to be rich, just be able to afford payments.

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:14 PM
will227457
Road Master

[quote=thomaskray;3797203]Been reading a bunch of posts for a couple weeks now (new member). I find it facinating the number of people with "new" bikes. The overwhelming majority of signitures and tag lines mention 07, 08, and even 09 bikes. I just recently bought a used (2002) dyna with 13K miles on it and put another 1000 on it in the past month.

quote]

you should get good mileage out of your HD I dont know what kind of car only lasts 100k aka "American" but thats another thread.....

Quick Reply: Just an observation