General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats is "countersteering"...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Another neat trick to learn is to look through the turn. In other words look where you want the bike to go. You'll find with practice your turning skills will get better and better.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 AM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride in Quebec..., I think we import our roads from Afganistan here.

On a 1 mile road, like when I was in Longeuil tonight, I might countersteer 15 or 20 times to go around potholes, gravel, raised sewers, sunken sewers, dead skunks, road patches, etc....

I do this to save my back & my bike.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 AM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: weird, double post?!?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hell folks, it is just physics and ya can't beat the laws of physics.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally the whole handlebar thing is counter intuitive. Running down a straight two lane traffic without any traffic nearby run in the left track of the right lane. Change lanes by going to the right track of the right lane to the left track of the left lane and back to the right track of the left lane. Do that quick enough and you'll be counter-steering into and out of the lane change. Actually into the outside tracks is a bit further than you need, but if you play around a bit you'll find you change lanes a lot faster than starting towards the other lane.

What's happening is when you turn the handlebars the bike starts falling the opposite direction. That works against you trying to turn. So instead of fighting it you use it. You use to get the bike started leaning in the direction you want to go and then you go with it. Coming out of the turn you use it to stand the bike back up.

You've likely done it and done it often. You've also likely failed to do it when you should. If you've ever seen a crack, pothole or debris on the road, tried to avoid it and ended up running right over it then that's the result of failing to countersteer. The bike is leaning one way, you're steering the other and the result is you go straight. You likely do it everytime you take a curve without thinking about it. You go a little wide and then zoom through the curve.

What I don't like about the push the handlebar description is it can get people to do stupid things. Don't think about pushing the handlebars, steer a little left first to go right and steer a little right to go left. Yes, you steer by pushing and pulling the handlebars, but thinking of where you want the bike to go is less likely to end up with a serious screwup. You just want to go a little wide before taking the curve.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Dodzi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could also be called target fixation - if you look at it you'll hit it!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Used to do it all the time living on a dirt road and I was a lot younger.Today,without being on a track it is hard to do with all the insane traffic everywhere.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 AM
sanaga
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some one call BS is NOT a biker...trust me....if he can ride, he will counter steering....although he didnt realize it...

Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
It's when you gently press on the handlebars to initiate a turn. In other words, if you want to go left, you push the left handlebar forward which turns your wheel to the right and you go left. Vice versa for the right. You don't have to move the bars very much for it to work. It sounds like it's a stupid idea but it really works. There is probably a little better way to explain it, but that's all it really is.

I found this on the web after I posted. This explains it better.

http://www.motorvike.com/MotoChat_Counter_Steering.htm
I totally agree with what you said, but I don't agree with this linked article. He says,

"If a biker wants to turn to the right, he first throws the bike off balance by a well-timed jolt to the handlebars, momentarily pointing the front wheel slightly to the left."

It's neither a jolt nor momentary. It's a smooth action and you sustain the countersteer throughout the curve. Here's a pic of a bike turning right and you can see the slight bias of the front wheel to the left.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Instead of using the term "push," use "press," when describing the action of consciously countersteering. It sounds less forcefull, and is more correct, as it does not take much of a "press" to do it. It's also the term the MSF uses. The "press" causes the bike to lean--it's the lean that causes the turn.

As a previous poster said, you can also gently pull on the other handlebar at the same time, and even have a more controlled countersteer. With conscious countersteering, you can easily swerve the yellow lines on a highway at 50 mph on most bikes.

Quick Reply: Whats is "countersteering"...???