General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats is "countersteering"...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:07 AM
MattV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocoee Joe
What is it?....lotta folks tell me its BS....:>)
If you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't be ridn'

Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
02Ultra, delayed rear braking (sometimes called drag braking) is an accepted method taught in advanced classes, and is used in racing at high speed as well. If you are referring to a basic MSF Riding and Street Skills course, (Slow, Look, Lean, Roll), remember the key word....BASIC

You are correct in that incorrect panic braking in a turn can be disastrous, causing either a high side or low side, but that is not what was referred to.

Get the tape Ride Like a Pro. Delayed rear braking is used throughout slow speed manuevers as well, and is key to making tight turns and u-turns.
+1. To master slow speed tight turns including U-turns, lightly ride the rear brake, slip the clutch, and swivel your head to look at where you want to go.

At speed, most riders are better off braking in advance and then adding throttle through the curve. When you lay the bike over onto the side of the tire, the effective diameter of the tire decreases and adding power speeds up the rotation of the wheels to maintain speed. Otherwise you'll scrub off speed and be less stable.

Braking in a corner at speed is for experts under limited circumstances, imho.

$.02

Old 11-09-2008, 12:44 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

when i took the MSF course I didnt even know i was doing it, it just felt natural to me

Old 11-09-2008, 12:49 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time I encountered this was with a remote control road king model I was given. I thought it was broken because while standing still I would turn the remote wheel right and it would turn the road king wheel left. When actually moving it would turn correctly. I was baffled. All remote controlled motorcycles ONLY countersteer. If they didn't they would plop over in a heartbeat. So if you want to know how it works, go to walmart and get a remote controlled motorcycle.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a safe experiment for you to try. Sit on your bike while some strattles the front fork and holds you up. Put your feet on the pegs, and sit straight. Now push the bars to either side, the bike lean the direction you push. Now imagine doing that out on the road. It sounds really strange, BUT...... it really works.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Rapid One
Intermediate

I've often thought that the arguments about countersteering are because of the description.

The seat of the pants feel that I get is not that I am pushing the inside grip forward but more like I am pushing my hand towards the ground.

No question that it's the same thing and countersteering is how a motorcycle is steered at any speed much above a walk.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Roadie_Glidin'
Intermediate

If you have a good 30 minutes to read and watch videos, check this out: What is Countersteering

I never thought this was an issue or technique people struggled with.

This makes me wonder how many techniques there are on a motorcycle that I have no clue I am not doing... One of those 'you don't know what you don't know' kind of deals.

~ RIDE SAFE ~