General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats is "countersteering"...???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocoee Joe
I have had riders on my tail on the straights but they usually fall way behind when the curves come up...maybe its my tires?....they do make a BIG difference....maybe an idea for another thread...BTW...what tires do you prefer and why?...:>)
That question and what brake do you use .I still run the stock dunlops my bikes suspension 1200r is stock and I don't think the tires are the limited factor for the bike I start dragging everything before the tires will lose grip.I only use my front brakes I have not replaced a set of rear brake pads in over 25 years on any of my bike plus I will use the brakes in the corner leaned over. (trail Brake)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
blueyz0416
Now with God. Love you baby... -Wiz

I took the MSF class when I started riding last year. Countersteering made no sense to me hearing it described during the class. I just had to go out and try it. It does work, and like others have said before, not the choice for slow speeds (15 or less).

Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I am sitting here reading this thread and I would like to see a rider come to PA and take a stretched rigid with drag bars and a 230 rear tire down one of our windy $ss roads and I think I could make a believer out of them that counter steering is real! My son road sport bikes before taking my Fatboy out for a ride and he was one of those riders that had to be taught counter steering. He did not really understand that a 700 lb bike can't be just thrown or leaned around the bends with just your body weight! My .02!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Big P
Cruiser

I guess I never thought about it but did it instinctively will have to pay attention to it on my ride tomorrow.I do have a buddy who wasa new rider and tried to drive his bike through a turn and wound up in a lawn on the outside of the corner of course he also forgot to put his jiffy stand down the first couple of stops but he has gotten alot better!lol

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Ocoee Joe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turn8a
That question and what brake do you use .I still run the stock dunlops my bikes suspension 1200r is stock and I don't think the tires are the limited factor for the bike I start dragging everything before the tires will lose grip.I only use my front brakes I have not replaced a set of rear brake pads in over 25 years on any of my bike plus I will use the brakes in the corner leaned over. (trail Brake)
Sorry for the late reply...just got home from the CSR in NC...couldnt stand another night of it...LAME...:>).....I run Metzelers...there are other comparable tires out there but,IMPO,almost anything is better than Dunlops...loosing grip isnt the issue,its having to fight against the tires(Dunlop) versus having the tires co-operate with you..(Mets,Avons etc)...as always JMPO...oh yeah,I use only Brembo brake pads ...others my compare but few exceed...:>)

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear god......Please tell me this isn't still being debated.......

Old 09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Ocoee Joe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Dear god......Please tell me this isn't still being debated.......
FBTRIKE,GOD here,this debate will never,never end...and,if you ride a trike,you aint got an Fing clue anyways....:>)

Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ocoee Joe
FBTRIKE,GOD here,this debate will never,never end...and,if you ride a trike,you aint got an Fing clue anyways....:>)
Speakin of no fn clue.......I ride a trike now because of a disability...wasn't always that way........rode two wheels since the sixtys....never without a bike until disability.....Owned everything from from dirt bikes to crotch rockets......I've owned a
old 400 Maico that would do 100mph off road if you had the *****.
I've owned 1 BSA, 1 TRiumph, 7 Hondas, 3 Yamahas, 1 Suzuki and 2 HDs the last one I'm converting to a trike after not being able to ride at all for three years.......I would wager I have put as many or more miles on a bike than you have.....
Maybe you should pull your head out and think before you make stupid statements! Who needs to get a clue?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:10 AM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere

If no one's mentioned it yet, read Hough's book - Proficient Riding. For thos into the technical end of riding, he has a lot of great explainations.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Jake
Basically you push your bars the opposite way you want to turn. Example is push forward with your left hand to turn left. Try it. That's how you have fun in the twisties. The bike will lay right over and turn. I don't know how else you turn...
''That about covers it"

Quick Reply: Whats is "countersteering"...???