General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats is "countersteering"...???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last good example; I ride without touching the bars quite often, in doing so, when you lean to do a turn you can see the bike automatically countersteer. This is because it is what needs to happen for the bike to make that turn. If your hands are on the bars and you fight that motion most likely you will crash, not fighting it does not mean that you realize it is happening...but it most certainly is.

Originally Posted by zimman20
Suffice it to say that if it was obvious, natural, everybody was doing it (without noticing it) then they wouldn't be teaching it in the MSF courses, now would they?
The answer to this is simple, by all means yes they would, the idea is to teach people about countersteering so they understand how to knowingly use it and control it to help make them a better rider.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
I think that was in response to my post saying, pretty much, countersteering is a method of initiating a lean and not a way to steer around a curve.
You countersteer all of the way through the turn, not just to initiate it. The second you release the countersteer, the bike will stand up straight and go straight off the road. In fact, centrifugal force from the turn may/will actually cause the bike to stand up and then lean the wrong way, hurrying you to the ditch.

Releasing the countersteer pressure is how you exit a curve.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Releasing the countersteer pressure is how you exit a curve.
However, as I stated earlier, if you are riding with no hands you can just lean the bike back up and see the countersteer go back straight.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
cray49a
Road Master
Default the way it works

Take a dixie cup androll it. See how the cup turns to the shortest diameter side. That's just like your tire. When you push left (or right) that side of the tire, which is a smaller diameter makes to bike lay over that way.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only problem with the MSF courses teaching to push the bars in the direction you want to go is this: A common problem with riders, both cruisers and sport, is that they straight arm the inside elbow on the turn. Thus, they are leaning more of their body to the outside of the bike rather than with the bike. I've always felt more like this: If I lean my body slightly going into the turn, while keeping my arms stationary, it causes a gentle pull from the outside arm, which causes the counter steer. Therefore, my inside elbow isn't straight and my body is leaning with the bike. I'm not saying that is the case with everyone, but with an inexperienced rider they tend to push the bars to initiate the counter steer, but at the same time they push their body away from that direction.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

this is from one of the best he talks about the 4 ways to turn a motorcycle
www.fastfreddie.com/news/html/4ways.htm

Last edited by turn8a; 09-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Haven't you ever been around a rider who told his passenger to help by leaning in corners? (a ridiculous request.)
As stated, yes... but your body position, and that of the passenger, certainly do influence the bike. In that respect, I tell new passengers to be consistent - Don't lean for half of the curve, then decide you'd rather sit up straight.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Say what you will, over the years I've been around lots of riders who wouldn't countersteer and they were clumsy, slow and scary.
I've seen riders who were clumsy, slow and scary, even when they weren't on a bike!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'ts called turning a motorcycle people...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by co309ott
I too have been riding for 45 years and after reading this thread went out and evaluated what was happening when I initiate a turn. I either lean the bike or push the handlebars over to the side I am turning to, but, what surprised me was watching the handlebars twist ever so slightly in the opposite way I was turning. They do it automatically themselves. Further experimenting I pushed slightly on the left grip and the bike leaned and steered to the right. I never noticed before but I have always countersteered and didn't know it. Tony
Equally as interesting - you can do this a little bit (and I stress - a little bit), by pushing down on the footpeg (preferably with your foot - preferably the one that is already on the peg) on the side towards which you are turning. Right foot makes you go right, left foot makes you turn left. I discovered this back when I first took the MSF course and learned about countersteering. I was riding one handed, with the throttle locked, and wanted to shift in my lane. Likely because I was being more aware of what I was doing when I was riding, I noticed I had made this minor shift without really doing anything with the bars (my left hand was laying flat, on top of the left grip). I wasn't sure of what I had done, so I began experimenting with it.

I remembered it as a result of our conversation here, so I tried it on my WG the other day. Trying to be very conscious to not provide any input with my hands, just pushing down with one foot or the other, I was able to make minor movements to the right and left.

I noticed I use this foot input, in addition to countersteering, around curves and turning corners, to "tweak" my line.

Quick Reply: Whats is "countersteering"...???