General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legally - If I put on turn signal mirrors, can I remove the front turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM
vega823
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellfish
uhhm ...because I like asking for people input on message boards? ...I mean, isn't that why we are here? ..."bro?"
I don't think the point was that you should not ask the question on the forum, but that you could get an answer from someone in a state whose laws are different from yours. Also, although there are some great people giving very helpful information on this forum, you might occasionally get someone who (God forbid) thinks they know everything and will give you an incorrect answer to your question. You can't tell the cop that pulls you over that you were told that it was okay by "JohnnyRoadKing09" on the forum.

good luck with the scoot, post pics when you get them.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to double-check local ordinances regarding height of signals, there shouldn't be any but doesn't hurt to be absolutely sure.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
turn signals on a motorcycle are not a requirement. the requirement is if they are installed they must work. there is no requirement specifically for location. go for it!!!
As already stated by others, this varies from state to state. Just because one state doesn't require turn signals doesn't mean other states don't.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Several years ago I equipped a dirt bike to be (barely) street legal in Illinois. I had to add a Head light, Tail light (also this was the License plate light), and Horn. Turn signals (and the brake light I think) were not required but if you didn't have them (or if they were not DOT approved) you had to use hand signals.

This was in a small town and a local Cop stopped me on it. He pulled out a book to look up any equipment violation he could think of, didn't come up with any.
He did watch me closely for the hand signals every time he saw me on the street.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Gunfighter04
Intermediate

Here in Pa, the regs are written such that if the bike was originally equipped with them they need to be installed. I did get my ironhead passed thru inspection, using the mirrors with turn signals. As been said, "your mileage may very"

Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

It's been pointed out, but bears repeating: The laws vary from state to state. Check your state's laws. Also, if they are required, most times they have to be DOT approved, or meet FMVSS requirements. I'd bet those mirror-turn signals don't meet those standards. They'll be labeled so, if they do. If you use them, and they don't meet your states requirements, will you be zapped for it? Maybe & maybe not. Up to you to decide whether to take that chance. I've got front signals that don't meet specs on my Sloptail. They've been there for about 7 years. No tickets, but I know 2 places that will fail the bike on the annual inspection. I go elsewhere.

Edit: Hellfish, ain't no need to disrespect someone giving you good advice as you did OldFenderGuy with your little "bro" comment. Save it for someone who deserves it.

Last edited by pococj; 08-26-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to disrespect anybody ..I was just goofing around ..hense the ...but point taken about local laws. I'll check and see what Texas has in store for me! Thanks again guys.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by hellfish
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to disrespect anybody ..I was just goofing around ..hense the ...but point taken about local laws. I'll check and see what Texas has in store for me! Thanks again guys.
Good to go here, then.

Being I'm in Texas, too, I have this link saved: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txm...tm#Chapter%203

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
turn signals on a motorcycle are not a requirement. the requirement is if they are installed they must work. there is no requirement specifically for location. go for it!!!
Depends on what state you're in. California requires them.

You can check your state here;
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want to be really specific then the answer is yes... IF

if there is DOT standards for brightness, has to be over a certain amount from a certain distance, a few small LEDs might not be enough to replace a big bulb, even if they look brighter up close. the light scatters and it becomes a lot dimmer the farther you get. If they were so great they would be standard on all the bikes by now.

so beware your turn signals might become less visible even if they seem brighter at first. Placebo effect.

but the idea of signals in the mirror is really great! that should REALLY clean up the front.