General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain X on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:31 AM
Streets of Fire
|
Road Captain
Default Rain X on windshield

Has anyone put rain-x on their windshield? I was about to and read the warning that said specifically not to use on plexi-glass.

Sorry if this is an old topic, I tried to search and every mention of "rain" came up.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:32 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

YES, don't do it. Supposedly will ruin your windshield. There have been posts on it. But the long and short of it is, over a period of time, your windshield will fog up and become opaque. (damn big word for me this early in the day)

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:38 AM
Streets of Fire
|
Road Captain

thanks!

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:39 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

True, DH put it on his and it turned.

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:59 AM
Cajun King
Road Master

use a product called plexus. It works like rain x and made for plexie. You can find it at most bike dealers.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:30 PM
tano01
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Streets of Fire
Has anyone put rain-x on their windshield? I was about to and read the warning that said specifically not to use on plexi-glass.

Sorry if this is an old topic, I tried to search and every mention of "rain" came up.

Thanks!
I tried it once and it didn't seem to work, so I never tried it again.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:46 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

your lexan windshield is not plexiglas. likley the stuff H-D sells is Rain-X. Rain-X was developed for use on airplane windshields without wiperblades.
Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglas, Lexan; they are all interchangeable terms in most peoples vocabulary. Getting the terminology correct could save your project from becoming a disaster.

Of all four materials listed above there are really only two plastics involved, polycarbonate and acrylic. Lexan is General Electric's trade name for Polycarbonate and acrylics trade name is Plexiglas.

Acrylic = Plexiglas
Polycarbonate = Lexan

Why does all this matter? In two words I would answer "Impact Resistance." If you’re planning any sort of project involving one of these two transparent materials you will want to know the one major drawback acrylic has to offer. Impact resistance is the key. If you want your project to hold up for any length of time under normal use, polycarbonate is the material of choice. Acrylic has a very low impact resistance and is prone to stress fracturing. Polycarbonate on the other hand has impact resistance 30x that of acrylic. Polycarbonate is also a harder material than acrylic making it less prone to scratching.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:52 PM
GeorgeH
Advanced

The Harley dealer has something that according to the label is is safe to use on windshields and works like rain-x. I hahent tried it but am going to next time the bike gets washed.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:57 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

All well and good, but you did not answer the question.

Can he use Rain-X on his Harley windshield?

Originally Posted by huffhuff
your lexan windshield is not plexiglas. likley the stuff H-D sells is Rain-X. Rain-X was developed for use on airplane windshields without wiperblades.
Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglas, Lexan; they are all interchangeable terms in most peoples vocabulary. Getting the terminology correct could save your project from becoming a disaster.

Of all four materials listed above there are really only two plastics involved, polycarbonate and acrylic. Lexan is General Electric's trade name for Polycarbonate and acrylics trade name is Plexiglas.

Acrylic = Plexiglas
Polycarbonate = Lexan

Why does all this matter? In two words I would answer "Impact Resistance." If you’re planning any sort of project involving one of these two transparent materials you will want to know the one major drawback acrylic has to offer. Impact resistance is the key. If you want your project to hold up for any length of time under normal use, polycarbonate is the material of choice. Acrylic has a very low impact resistance and is prone to stress fracturing. Polycarbonate on the other hand has impact resistance 30x that of acrylic. Polycarbonate is also a harder material than acrylic making it less prone to scratching.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:59 PM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

All I use on mine is ASTRO SHIELD

Quick Reply: Rain X on windshield