General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 09:35 AM
neonhomer
|
Road Captain
Default Security questions

Well, I have my bike with me while I am away from home.

The trailer is chained to a concrete light post by the safety chains on the tongue. (The trailer is a open utility, so it was easy to spin around by hand and pull it to the pole.) The bike is parked next to the trailer, and a cable lock ran through the frame of the bike, through the wheel of the trailer, around the leaf spring, and back out.

I know that anyone determined to steal it is going to do it (that's what insurance is for), but think this is okay, or should I beef it up a little?

I am looking at buying an enclosed trailer, so all I would have to do is chain the trailer up, and then just park the bike inside and lock it up...

Old 08-26-2008 | 09:57 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by neonhomer
Well, I have my bike with me while I am away from home.

The trailer is chained to a concrete light post by the safety chains on the tongue. (The trailer is a open utility, so it was easy to spin around by hand and pull it to the pole.) The bike is parked next to the trailer, and a cable lock ran through the frame of the bike, through the wheel of the trailer, around the leaf spring, and back out.

I know that anyone determined to steal it is going to do it (that's what insurance is for), but think this is okay, or should I beef it up a little?

I am looking at buying an enclosed trailer, so all I would have to do is chain the trailer up, and then just park the bike inside and lock it up...
Depending on what state you are in, get yourself a Red & White Supporter, Black & White Supporter, Red & Yellow Supporter, etc, magnetic sticker. Then whatever state you are working in, place that MC Supporter sticker on your scoot. They won't touch it, and anybody with any brains wouldn't touch it either. (Just remember, there are ppl out there WITHOUT any brains, tho)
Just don't put 2 on at the same time. And for Heaven's (and your) sake, remember to remove it in the mornin' before you ride off to breakfast.
Enclosed trailer, cordless sawzall, end of conversation.

Sounds like you are doing what you can. I'd just make sure the chains and cables are case hardenend, REALLY difficult, but not impossible, to cut.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:00 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Alarm with siren helps you to sleep better.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:07 AM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

Chain your pit bull to the bike.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:11 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
:
I'd just make sure the chains and cables are case hardenend, REALLY difficult, but not impossible, to cut.
I had to cut one of those case hardened locks off my bike once, took less than 5 minutes with a sawsall and a carbide tipped blade. Went through it like a hot knife through warm butter. On San Diego's El Cajon Blvd in broad day light and a cop drove by while I was doing it. He didn't even slow down.

I have some chain that can only be cut with a blue tip. Don't carry it anymore, too much of a pain.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:13 AM
neonhomer
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Depending on what state you are in, get yourself a Red & White Supporter, Black & White Supporter, Red & Yellow Supporter, etc, magnetic sticker. Then whatever state you are working in, place that MC Supporter sticker on your scoot. They won't touch it, and anybody with any brains wouldn't touch it either.

Where could I get such stickers? LOL....

Other Sheep - Working on getting the HD security system, but the siren IMHO is useless.

grimreaper169 - No pit bull here....

Wonder if the hotel would get pissed if I parked the bike in the room... LOL... too bad these rooms all face in... though it would fun to drive the bike through the lobby... hey... maybe I can get the hotel to let me park the bike in the lobby!!

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:24 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grimreaper169
Chain your pit bull to the bike.
Yep... That's what trained area guard dogs are for...

Here's my timid little thing that takes care of 'her property'.

She's had (and continues to have) ongoing training for both 'area guard' and 'command attack' duties.