General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Goldwings melt in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:11 PM
carlgrover
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Do Goldwings melt in the rain?

I took off for work this morning knowing full well it was going to rain later in the day. Sure enough, it was pouring when I left. No problem I just put on the raingear and pointed the Road King into the wind. I follow Frank's rule of riding. If it aint raining in the morning we don't care if it's raining on the way home. Theres something relaxing about riding in the rain. I didn't see another bike the whole way to or from work. Am I the only rider in North Alabama who has a pair or am I an idiot?

By the way, is it really true that Goldwings melt in the rain? Ha ha

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:13 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

i've seen more wet wing-nuts than moto-gucci choppers and ultrawaxed classics combined.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:15 PM
Slaps
Road Master

Don't they just put there top up if it starts raining?

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:23 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slaps
Don't they just put there top up if it starts raining?

Q: What do you call a Honda Goldwing with a roof?
A: A Civic.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:26 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Seen many Goldwing AND BMW riders putting on the miles
while in the rain.
I have done my share of wet weather (Goldwing and Harley.....don't care for it much.).

chuck

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:27 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

I dont mind riding in the rain but the clean-up is hell is my only complaint. I try to keep my bike looking sharp - not a freak about it but I do like it too look decent. A ride in the rain guaruntees a 3 hour detailing job which I'd rather avoid. If necessary on a road trip no problem though.

Now with a Wing and not much chrome and all those panels hell I'd ride that in the rain cuz you just hose it down and wash like a car and dry with a towel quickly. The H-D and it's beautiful chrome merits far more detailing.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:37 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Back in June me and the wife were on our way down to the Smokies when, after covering just about 500 miles, the weather turned ugly. We just hunkered down and rode through the rain without changing into our rainsuits. Well I was starting to feel kind of smug, ya know? Saw a group of Wings stopped under an overpass, the riders up under the roadway to avoid the spray from the passing traffic. I just looked up at them and said to my wife rather contemptuously: "What a bunch of wimps! Get on out from under there and ride on ya pu$$ies!"
A minute or so later a big bike comes up on our left, older couple maybe in their sixties, a honk of the horn, a friendly wave, and off they speed leaving us wallowing in their wake. My wife asks me: "Wasn't that a Goldwing?" It took me a while to reply. You see, I was trying to swallow a big mouthful of crow.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:50 PM
ragtyme
Tourer

I just rode from Yuma, AZ to Glenview, Ill. hoping to hit a couple good rain storms. No luck.
I may have to plan my route a little better on the way back....maybe through Alabama and Louisianna, I hear they're getting a little rain.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:54 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid

Q: What do you call a Honda Goldwing with a roof?
A: A Civic.
But Civic's don't have Navigation and premium sound.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:59 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Is this multiple choice or just a simple yes / no. Don't know if you got a pair but being a Harley owner is a good indication that there is a set near. As far as being an idiot , can't give a definitive answer on that but if you have to ask there is a good chance that your not an idiot. Gold wings do not melt in the rain and all that plastic really shines when it is wet. They will melt in a garage fire though.
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I took off for work this morning knowing full well it was going to rain later in the day. Sure enough, it was pouring when I left. No problem I just put on the raingear and pointed the Road King into the wind. I follow Frank's rule of riding. If it aint raining in the morning we don't care if it's raining on the way home. Theres something relaxing about riding in the rain. I didn't see another bike the whole way to or from work. Am I the only rider in North Alabama who has a pair or am I an idiot?

By the way, is it really true that Goldwings melt in the rain? Ha ha

Quick Reply: Do Goldwings melt in the rain?