General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoulda left the bike at home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoulda left the bike at home...

Well, I had to go down to South Florida to work again this week, and decided since I had to work nights, that I would bring the bike with me so I could do some riding during the day. Drag the trailer out of the back yard, air up the tires, and get the bike up and strap it down. (It's a open utility trailer.. steel frame, wood floor and rails.)

Head down the road. I don't even get 5 miles from home and BAM! A friggin tire blow out. Just freakin' great. So I call a friend of mine to come get me (didn't want to leave the trailer & bike on the side of the road) and we run to Wal-Mart. The trailer had those little 8" tires on there, and I opted for the 12" tires instead. Changed those, and then found out one was a bit low (45 when it should be 60). So I head up the road to the nearest exit (10 miles) and stop to put air in the tires. Feed the pump ($0.75) and try to air the tires... no dice.. the little rubber seal in the air chuck is gone. Of course the hodgie behind the counter says I have to call the company who services the machine. Screw it. Get back on the highway, and head further south. Finally find a gas station with air, and add air to the tires. Check the lugs, and get back on the road.

Halfway here, I had to swerve to miss something in the road... thought the bike was going to come off the trailer. Luckily it didn't, but I found something else wrong... my wood floor is ruined, and is crumbling. The bike sank 1/2" into the floor down to the steel frame. Great...

So now I make it here. Just pull into my hotel and look up behind me, a friggin cop. Guess what else I forgot to do... put the new sticker on my tag. Luckily I had it with me, no harm no foul, but it is just one more hassle.

Now I am supposed to go to work tonight, but I am friggin tired from all the bull today. Thinking about getting the bike off the trailer, and doing what I brought it down here to do... RIDE!!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
05Hog
Road Captain

Nothing like a good long ride to cure what ails ya. One long ride will make up for all the B.S. you went through gettin there

Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing like a good long ride to cure what ails ya. One long ride will make up for all the B.S. you went through gettin there
T R U E true!!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

You have to think about it? Take a ride!!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ride.. but dont smile. those folks got big squishy bugs.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
sullyboo
Cruiser

I would not even wrote this thread, I would of just rode. Good luck with the rest of your time there.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
vega823
Road Master

A nice ride with all of your focus and attention on the road, not the events of your day.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I did go out for a ride... and while it wasn't too long, it was good enough to purge my mind.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to south Florida. Did you get wet?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Lake Okeechobee... I am over here in St. Lucie County...

Since I have to work nights, I brought the bike to ride during the day.... beats it sitting at home.... LOL.

Of course, the fun part is going to be getting it back home... going to have to get a piece of plywood or something to keep the front wheel from falling through the trailer floor!

Quick Reply: Shoulda left the bike at home...