Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repack V&H Quiet Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 AM
eyefrgt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repack V&H Quiet Baffles

OK before everyone flames me for not using the search function on this forum, I tried without any luck.

My question has anyone here ever repacked their V&H quiet baffles. I went and got some muffler repacking, I was looking for Silent Sport brand but couldn't find any local. I pulled by baffles out and the original packing was about 1/4 gone. I wound the new packing around the baffles and re-installed them in the exhaust pipes. It made the pipes as loud as before when I had the stock V&H baffles. I liked the sound of the quiet baffles when I first installed them and I didn't get the popping on de-acceleration. Since I repacked the quiet baffles even the popping is back. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
jefnightrain
Tourer

I have thought about unpacking my quiet baffles & wondered if anybody has. I like the tone over the standards, but wouldn't mind if they were a little louder. How long does it take for the packing to burn off or should I just remove the baffles & unwrap the packing myself?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
eyefrgt
Cruiser

I put about 7000 miles on my bike before I noticed it getting louder and the popping on deceleration. I talked to some mechanics and they said if your bike is running a little lean it will burn the packing out earlier, if you are running a little rich the packing seems to get plugged up and if the bike is running with the right mixture the packing will last indefinitely. I am having trouble finding someone who has repacked the baffles. I thought I did a good job when I reinstalled the baffles but it didn't seem to work. I don't know if I put the packing on to lose or to tight. I was hoping to get a little advice before I started to experimenting around.

Thanks for your reply

Old 08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
HDluxy
Cruiser

I installed the quiet baffles in my big shot longs, tooooooo quiet! Pulled the insulation and re-installed, terrible tinny sound ! Going back to the BCT baffles that I had in my SE 16g dbl exhaust. They sounded better than anything I've heard. Should have kept them