General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider needs experienced answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:00 PM
ClawSS
|
Intermediate
Default New Rider needs experienced answers

Heres the deal...new rider, put 300 mi. on the "new to me" '01 FLSTFI. I am mentally ready to make the switch to a commuter. The ride is about 80mi. round trip on a combo of country 2 lanes with a little 4 lane and a tad bit of city. The bike has a detachable windshield, but I seldom ride with it on. I do not have any bags of any kind and just recently found some bungies to lash a box to my sissy bar. Business casual dress preferred, but jeans and boots are allowed on non-meeting days.

I assume I need raingear which then says I need a place to store it. What would be good and cheap as rain gear? Should I just get a small roll bag or something else for storage of that suit?

I have a computer bag that will need a place to ride. I figure I could lash it to the sissy bar, but didn't know how it would fair the ride. Or would someone say a tour bag for everything? (Not sure about saddlebags on a Fatboy or finding the money for good ones)

No jacket yet...any recommendations?

I guess I am supposed to burn those fingerless gloves my wife bought me? Get real "biker" gloves?

1/2 helmet right now, full face when I think it gets a little cooler (about November here in KY)? anybody have opinions on the Modular styles?

And what about chaps? Running joke in my current circle of non riders is that the only reason I got the bike was to have an excuse to wear chaps...I have no idea what they are talking about. Seriously though...80mi. in early winter...are they truly recommended by those who really put in the saddle time? Would a pair of cotton coveralls work to keep road dust from my work clothes?

Thanks for any insight, I just don't know what I should buy versus what is crap and fluff!

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:09 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

I've got a rainsuit (HD Brand) that folds up into a little ball about 5" in diameter. It works great. Check out aftermarket sites for bags. A small roll bag would probably be alright for all the gear you were talking about. The computer bag can be lashed to sissy bar. The other stuff could go into a backpack.

Just don't get a spiderman backpak (LOL) Take it easy in the traffic if you are new to riding. BTW as others will also tell you I'm sure, if you have not taken a riding class, please do so.

Ride safe and often.

FD

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:10 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

you ask a lot in just one post...

I ride 50 round trip each day, but only during the Summer. I have a small T-Bag brand roll bag and a "helmet bag". I try to use the roll bag only cuz the helmet bag is bigger than I like to have back there all the time.
I work in biz casual. I ride with jeans and change to dockers at work. I always carry my rain gear cuz I live in the Northwest.
The T-Bag brand stuff slips right on over the back of the passenger backrest (sissy bar)

I have an HJC full face modular and if I know it is going to rain, I wear that. Modular is OK, but there are some little whistles that you have to get used to. Otherwise I wear a 3/4 with face shield.. easier on the ears, and the face doesn't get pelted with sand,rocks,bugs,etc.

If its below 40 when I leave my house, I wear chaps. If I am going out all day, I wear chaps (unless it is above 85). Mid 40's during the Summer is normal at my house.
If it is really cold, I wear thermals under everything... which is why I use the Helmet bag on occasions... cuz it is usually high 70's when I return home and I have to be able to put that stuff somewhere.

As far as the laptop bag, it should be OK lashed down to the passenger seat. My laptop actually fits in the T-Bag Helmet bag, so something to think about. when I get to work, the whole thing just slips off the passenger backrest, and I carry it in like it was a briefcase.

You will likely try a few things before you figure out what works best for you... It took me a bit.

hope something here was useful for you
http://www.t-bags.com/

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:17 PM
Pine Tree
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by ClawSS
...Thanks for any insight, I just don't know what I should buy versus what is crap and fluff!
Never buy a cheap rainsuit especially if you think you'll ever need to use it. And remember, get one that's long enough in the arms and legs. Most seem fine standing up...sitting on a bike and reaching for the grips means something else.

As far as the rest of the gear, just think of it this way...protect only those parts of the body you want to keep for a while longer...then buy the best you can afford to do so.

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:23 PM
wjl24
Road Captain

+1 on staying away from the cheap rain gear. You'll keep buying new ones. Just get a good one from the start.

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:24 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

We're all different here in the rainsuit deptartment , I ride a lot , so I go ahead and spend the money on a good rainsuit , to me it is worth the investment .. Harley rain suits come in a roll bag , so lashing that somewhere wouldnt be much of a problem ..

I dont think I would consider lashing the computer down , leather saddlebags from Harley are spendy , perhaps spomeone can point you to a set not as expensive as Harley ..

Harley has a detachable tourpak for your bike in the catalog .. P/N 53559-04A for $140 ..

The windshield is nice in the rain and cooler weather ..

As for your work clothes , can you wear riding clothes to work and be able to neatly store your work clothes on the bike .. I'm sure you could easily store the computer and neatly folded clothes without a problem ..

Now about those fingerless gloves , cool looking or not , they bleed onto your skin in warmer weather ...

Jackets , there are lots of good ones .. Those with a mesh inside are a bit cooler when its hot outside ..

Like you I wear a half helmet , until it cools down , then it's full face , some good full face are cool in the summer months , most have vents you can open above the visor ..

I put a lot of miles on my bikes , and to me chaps are a good investment , they can get hot , if it's really warm out , but doesnt really bother me too much ...

Hope this helps some ...

Old 08-24-2008 | 05:37 PM
ClawSS
|
Intermediate

so sorry for all the questions, I didn't realize I wrote a book until I posted. Thanks for the quick responses, tho. Keep them coming...so far it is:

Maybe look at a tour bag to hold everything
Get a good rainsuit (maybe HD brand in a bag to lash to something)
gloves and full face helmet when cooler + windshield as deemed necessary
Too many jackets to choose from.

oh yeah, took the MSF class...enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Last edited by ClawSS; 08-24-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2008 | 05:53 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

You will eventually learn wear what you need to be comfortable.Everybody has an opinion,so do you.Plan on riding in all kinds of weather,set yourself up.I have always preferred leather,some I know where Gortex.

Old 08-24-2008 | 06:02 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I would put saddle bags on and you will be good to go.
I bought insulated overalls from Sams Club, for real cold weather. It had zippers up the arms and legs. Made it real easy to put it on over my good clothes on the way to work.
I rode all winter in Kansas as long as there wasn't snow on the ground.
Tom

Old 08-24-2008 | 07:30 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Call me a puss,but why commute in the rain on a bike?
I commute 450 miles a week on my bike,cold weather is ok but I dont ride in the rain.When it gets cold,chaps,lined leather jacket,thermal underwear,wool socks,wool thing for my neck,gauntlet gloves w/liners and full face helmet.
Some weather proof saddle bags will come in handy along with a windsheild.

Quick Reply: New Rider needs experienced answers